PDA

View Full Version : Current carbine lineup

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

FyrepowrX
12-15-2022, 11:21 AM
You always pretty much win carbines, Gerald!
Which one you are going to sell me next? :biggrin-new:

Ya know, over the years i have developed a TC carbine itch that regularly needs scratched....this week i ordered 2 from SSK, an 18" 357x44 Bain & Davis , and a 20" fluted 6.5grendel.
Always wanted to try both calibers in rifle length tubes. Will be about 3 months or so before they are here, but i formed a hundred cases for the B&D yesterday. :crazy:

FyrepowrX
12-15-2022, 12:09 PM
22" fluted 30-30 Ackley improved by MGM; 1-12 twist, topped with a 3-9x Zeiss. Coyote made the mistake of coming in to sniff around a food plot i was watching during deer season...didnt work out well for him.

FyrepowrX
12-15-2022, 12:15 PM
16" .41mag semi-bull carbine by MGM , which is now wearing a 1.5-5x. It is a shooter....does about this well with either the hornady FTX, or the old Remington bulk 210gr JSP, which is a good .41carbine bullet that expands without blowing up if you hit bones. (naturally they dont sell it any more!)

https://i.imgur.com/A0gVLqn.jpg

J A XSP
12-15-2022, 09:39 PM
Ya know, over the years i have developed a TC carbine itch that regularly needs scratched....this week i ordered 2 from SSK, an 18" 357x44 Bain & Davis , and a 20" fluted 6.5grendel.
Always wanted to try both calibers in rifle length tubes. Will be about 3 months or so before they are here, but i formed a hundred cases for the B&D yesterday. :crazy:
Shoot me an email when you get the Grendel going...I've wondered about that round and whether an old style Contender would take it. Since factory ammo seems pretty scarce, it'd most likely be a hand-load proposition, anyway.
The B & D seems like a very cool round, too! Good luck with them. :thumb:

FyrepowrX
12-15-2022, 11:25 PM
Will do...i have a Howa mini in grendel also, but always was curious about the performance in a 'tender barrel.

FyrepowrX
12-15-2022, 11:29 PM
21" matte tapered 25/35 carbine from the TC custom shop, topped with a 1.75-6x:

FyrepowrX
12-15-2022, 11:42 PM
22" stainless tapered 6.5TCU, 1-8" twist by MGM...had it throated for lighter bullets & it shoots 100 grain partitions really well. Those will start out at about 2650fps, and they shoot quite well at those speeds, and perform well at those speeds also. Glass is a Leupold 2x7.

J A XSP
12-16-2022, 12:12 AM
22" stainless tapered 6.5TCU, 1-8" twist by MGM...had it throated for lighter bullets & it shoots 100 grain partitions really well. Those will start out at about 2650fps, and they shoot quite well at those speeds, and perform well at those speeds also. Glass is a Leupold 2x7.

Allright...that's the one that needs to find it's way down to Texas when you run out of room in the safe. :D :D :D

BT
12-16-2022, 12:33 AM
I’m also interested in the Grendel and look forward to seeing how this goes for you. What length barrel did you order, Gerald?

Redleg11B
12-16-2022, 09:39 AM
Those 32's of Gerald's are on my "I'll eventually build one too" list. I just wish I could use cf here in PA for small game. A RNFP cast @ 950 fps would work great for a lot of stuff.

FyrepowrX
12-16-2022, 01:15 PM
BT...that grendel will be a 20" stainless bull, fluted, 1-8" twist, with the lugs set for standard carbine forends. Thinking it will get topped with a
2-7x, or maybe a 3-9x compact of some sort.

Redleg, those .32's are a whole lot of fun, and the 32/20 can produce up to 1000 ft-lbs of energy if so desired with high velocity loads...several years ago, Rick Jamison published some +P data for marlin lever guns, and Brian Pierce of handloader did a most excellent write-up with 3 differing power class loads for the 32/20....i'll post some links to that data i uploaded. I have shot Missouri Cast bullets, both 100gr and 120gr, and they shot well with no leading...some loads up to about 2000fps, though most of my cast loads are about 1/2 that speed.

I'm heading down to the farm this afternoon to spend a couple days shooting, and i think i will bring the 32/20 barrel, and maybe my 1894classic marlin as well. I scoped it this year with a 2.5x compact & need to sight it in anyway. Will get some pix for a range report. And, will be hauling a trio of Hornet carbines as well; working up test loads in 22hornet, 17Ackley Hornet, and 22 K-Hornet, and a .256SuperMag carbine as well. (.25x357max) I packed the fox pro so will see if any critters want to come in to the call to volunteer for bullet expansion tests.

On Sunday our bonus holiday Doe season opens so i can fill 2 more deer tags, & stash some more venison in the freezer.

Watch for more pix to come in a few days. Hope all have a great weekend!

G~

Slowpoke Slim
12-16-2022, 08:22 PM
That sounds like a fun time for sure. I'm also interested in a Grendel on a Contender carbine. No idea why really. I have a 7-30 Waters that shoots crazy good groups. I ask myself what the Grendel could give me that's different. Maybe varmint bullet choices (over 7mm)? Hmmm, that may taking some thinkin'.

Magnum Mike
12-19-2022, 04:38 PM
I REALLY need to get my SSK 32-20 carbine barrel going! I have a bunch of the Nosler 110 black tips that i plan on running it as a walking varmint load. That said, i also have some cast bullets, and a mold or two, that i want to try in it and its Marlin Classic counterpart. I picked up a 10" pistol barrel too, also a "32-20", that i've yet to decide what i'd like to do with it. Like Redleg, i live in pa so we cant use them for small game, just coyote and woodchucks...

FyrepowrX
12-19-2022, 06:07 PM
Mike...just got back today, and i shot the 32/20 quite a bit....will post some details. You DO need one.

Magnum Mike
12-19-2022, 08:48 PM
G, I would be interested in any of that 32-20 data you care to share? I may have bought one of the handloader mags with data, I need to check.

FyrepowrX
12-19-2022, 09:57 PM
Mike...be glad to, in fact i probably have more data that i never uploaded....will check.

Here is a link to some i did copy...Brian Pierce did this most excellent write-up in Handloader:

https://i.imgur.com/QZMDXsQ.jpg

I am about 82-1/2% sure i have a whole pile of other stuff i copied, but never uploaded, so send me an email with your snail mail address,
and i will copy all that & stuff it in an envelope to send your way. For a long time i've been data hoarding & when i see an article on something i shoot, i make copies.

I'm trying to get a whole pile of pics resized, did quite a bit of shooting over the last few days & i did play with the 'tender carbine in 32/20 quite a bit...and i like it more than ever now. will post some updates.

G~

Magnum Mike
12-20-2022, 12:01 AM
Mike...be glad to, in fact i probably have more data that i never uploaded....will check.

PM sent, THANK YOU!

FyrepowrX
12-21-2022, 09:36 PM
a relatively new one to me; TC custom shop 20" blued tapered fluted, wearing a 2.5-8x. And, thankfully it turns out it liked the same load that
had worked well for me in my other .223:

https://i.imgur.com/ZHx6J2r.jpg

FyrepowrX
12-21-2022, 09:39 PM
Testing loads in the .17FireBall:

https://i.imgur.com/dVo4lOZ.jpg

FyrepowrX
12-21-2022, 09:52 PM
Stainless fluted .411x444 (.411jdj); topped with a 1.75-6x. I have since pulled that scope & replaced it it with a Leupold Custom Shop 4x fixed that has a German #4 reticle.

i need to work with this one more, i still have not found a load that really inspired me, been trying to make it like some cast WFN-style gas check .411 bullets that weigh about 305gr...but the carbine is not amused by those. It has an integral brake, but still has a bit of recoil, so i'll admit to skipping it a bit when i should be working with it more.

With my deer season done, i was digging through the ammo cabinet & found i have about 75 rounds loaded up , with a variety of powders & bullets...and it didnt especially care for them. No sense in wasting more powder & bullets & shoulder aches when i know it doesnt like those, so i've resigned myself to the fact i gotta start pulling bullets & go back to the bench to start a new test run.

https://i.imgur.com/RwGUMlb.jpg