PDA

View Full Version : Axis II Suppressor/Threaded Barrel Help

LTLFTC212
12-06-2022, 01:28 PM
I'm new to the suppressor world (currently waiting on my first to arrive) and I've figured out the AR15 side of it. However, I would also like to suppress my Axis II 6.5 Creedmoor. Should I:

A. Buy a replacement threaded barrel (if so, any recommendations would be appreciated)?
B. Wait until I purchase my next rifle before I worry about it instead of swapping the barrel on a budget gun?

Scttschnd
12-07-2022, 12:58 PM
You could try to locate a take off Axis II Precision barrel here, save $ maybe. My Axis II Precision is threaded. My rig liked the can on it and shot .46" group of 5 shots at 100 testing a H140 eldm, Lapua SRP case and 42.1 gr H4350. About 20th off the lands seems to be a sweet spot for this rig.

Dave Hoback
12-07-2022, 01:47 PM
Well it depends… Are you planning on becoming a Professional Ninja Code-Sniper of Death, or just an Amateur? J/K;)

Redleg11B
12-07-2022, 02:31 PM
If the barrel is thick enough, why not just have your current barrel threaded? Even if the smith has to turn something to add to the threads to give a prober shoulder, it may be cheaper than a different barrel. If you are going to get a new barrel for your rifle, might as well see if someone is willing to swap with you. There are people that get threaded rifles that have no intention of running cans.

J.Baker
12-07-2022, 09:45 PM
If the barrel is thick enough, why not just have your current barrel threaded? Even if the smith has to turn something to add to the threads to give a prober shoulder, it may be cheaper than a different barrel. If you are going to get a new barrel for your rifle, might as well see if someone is willing to swap with you. There are people that get threaded rifles that have no intention of running cans.

Factory sporter barrels don't have enough meat at the muzzle to thread them. Only way you're going to thread a factory sporter barrel is is you cut it back far enough to have sufficient diameter at the muzzle to thread it.

prdatr
12-08-2022, 09:48 AM
Factory sporter barrels don't have enough meat at the muzzle to thread them. Only way you're going to thread a factory sporter barrel is is you cut it back far enough to have sufficient diameter at the muzzle to thread it.

And that is a common thing people do to negate much of the overall length when a suppressor is added especially on a hunting rifle.

Redleg11B
12-10-2022, 07:41 AM
I've done that to a rimfire. I would do it to a centerfire too if conditions were right. I think a 12" 223 rifle with a can would be fun carrying around for vermin. I wouldn"t go shorter than 18" with most of the 308 based cartridged unless I intended to solely shoot suppressed.

What suppressor are you waiting on?

want2ride
12-14-2022, 02:14 PM
I had a very thin barreled Kimber 280ai threaded to 9/16 x24 and used a commonly available thread adapter from Brownell's to mount my ASR mount for my Omega.