PDA

View Full Version : Controlled round feed

Monkeymaster
12-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Hello,
I have a stevens 200 in 25-06 center feed, blind magizine, and re barreled it to 338-06 a sq.
This will be my elk/hope To go moose gun.
Is it possible to swap out the bolt head to the savage "controlled feed" type ?
If so, who sells them ?
Anyone have the Savage controlled feed bolt head, and any issues with it ? Like it ? Hate it ?
Thanks

ellobo
12-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Unless you are going after dangeous game you really dont need controlled feed. I love my mauser actioned custom with controlled feed but my Savages push feed rifles work great.

El Lobo

geargrinder
12-01-2010, 09:11 PM
You'd also have to get the action machined to fit the standing ejector.

I just bought a 116BSS in 7mmMag. It is a small shank, CRF, laminate stock, with a 26" magnum barrel. I'm going to shoot it on Sunday, I'll let you know if I like it better or the same.

If I were to guess now, I'd say it is between the stagger and centerfeed. Stagger being worse and center being best.

sharpshooter
12-02-2010, 01:54 AM
The controlled round feed bolt heads are for magnums,(....532" boltface).

defoxer
12-02-2010, 02:56 AM
I've been toying with the idea of converting my pf Savagae & stevens to CRF for some time but dont know where the ejector is located; could someone post some picks perhaps?
I like the advantages of CRF'ing, mausers feel a lot more 'secure' when you strip a round from the mag and I think its a plus and not just for DG pursuit....

geargrinder
12-02-2010, 03:06 AM
The ejector goes in a slot milled on the floor of the bolt raceway. It is held in by the sear pin and extends forward to the face of the bolt fully open.

I looks like a semi-sprung bobby pin.

Blue Avenger
12-02-2010, 09:24 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/early110bolthead.jpg

defoxer
12-02-2010, 06:28 PM
That pic must be a very old 110, old style extractor and not CRF, the CRF has the ejector off centre and to the left side of the bolt race way according to the pic
http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/848/848974.jpg

Snowwolfe
12-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Savages CRF system is dumb and mickey mouse if you ask me. If you really want a CRF rifle buy a Winchester, Ruger, or one of the older Mausers among some to pick from.

geargrinder
12-02-2010, 11:34 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/early110bolthead.jpg

I've got an old school 30-06 just like that. Mine's even left handed as well.

J.Baker
12-03-2010, 03:16 AM
As has already been stated, the receiver would have to be machined to accept the CRF's standing ejector. Also, unless you can find some old parts converting to CRF these days also requires a different front baffle and firing pin since Savage changed the design a few years ago.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,10416.0.html

Harry Pope
12-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Savages CRF system is dumb and mickey mouse if you ask me. If you really want a CRF rifle buy a Winchester, Ruger, or one of the older Mausers among some to pick from.

I agree, it was developed as an answer to a question not well understood by Savage. Frankly I don't see the point of CRF with modern rifles other than the nostalgia. Lots and lots of dangerous game has been taken with push-feed M700s, Rugers, and M70s. Too, there was nothing wrong with the feeding on my old M-16, and I shot it a LOT more than any game hunter ever does their CRF rifle......

Monkeymaster
12-04-2010, 06:22 PM
I have shot hundreds of rounds through my savages and brand x guns, all push feeds, and have not one problem cambering .
My thoughts were to have something a little more custom, and this was one option I was wanting to look at.
If it were as simple as a bolt head swap, I would probably go ahead with it.
With the machine work involved, I will now look at a different bolt handle and having the bolt body fluted, along with the barrel. ?
I guess just changing barrels and having a rare cambering isn't enough for me anymore ?
Have to spend it somewhere.
Thanks for all the inputs.

geargrinder
12-04-2010, 08:09 PM
I played with it a bit today.

Hate it.

It would only eject cleanly when I really slammed the bolt back.

I prefer push feed especially in a centerfeed.

tammons
12-04-2010, 08:51 PM
I have a CF long action magnum.

Dont love it, dont hate it.
Sort of middle of the road.

When I set it up as a 473 bolt face I just use a normal push bolt head.

When I run it as a magnum I use it as a control feed.
Mine ejects perfectly every time.

A CF action is designed more for the prevention of short stroking in a panic situation
and pulling 2 shells before the head clamps onto the first case head.
IE if you short stroke you end up with 2 shells out of the mag and the bolt wont close.

CF picks up the shell rather than push it so you cant short stroke.

The issue I have with mine is the spring drags on the bolt so it makes it a bit stiff but I can rattle off 3 quick shots when hunting
no problem.

Never have owned a Mauser so I cant compare.
Always wanted one though. Maybe one day.

If you want a CF action, you are probably better off just buying one.

The most reliable DG setup would be a centerfeed CF action.
None made in savage, but you could modify a stock to take a current centerfeed mag.

AFAIK Savage never made a true control feed 473 bolt face rifle, but I could be wrong.
Seems like SSS commented that it would not work on a 473 bolt for some reason.

geargrinder
12-04-2010, 09:07 PM
The reason is because of the placement of the standing ejector. It wouldn't catch enough of the rim of a 473 rimmed round to eject properly.

tammons
12-04-2010, 09:36 PM
You could probably machine a taller one that would work, but then it would drag even more on the bolt.
Too much aggravation and it is a compromised setup.

Centerfeed normal ejector is good for almost anything in NA.
For AK Moose, AK Brown Bear or Griz I think I would prefer control feed.

For the OP, for a 338 CF, just swap over to a 338 win mag and find a CF magnum action.
You can always download it a tad to 338-06 levels.

I have been thinking about converting my control feed action to a centerfeed mag.
Its set up as a short barrel 458 win mag hog gun right now.
Ran about 10 full house 300 gr TTSX and 10 more full house 600 gr barnes solids through it the other day
Just playing around.