PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight loose bolt handle

bomberodevil
12-04-2022, 07:25 PM
Hi folks, I searched for this and I couldn’t find anything. I apologize if it’s been covered and I missed it.

I bought a Model 110 Ultralight in 280 AI about a year ago. After some initial frustration with a trigger that left the factory set less than 1 lb, it’s been a great shooter. I’ve developed a few loads, and probably have 250 rounds through it. It’s a very accurate rifle.

My problem is, the bolt handle has become loose and I cant see how to tighten it. I’m not referring to the play of the bolt while it’s in the receiver, but the handle on the bolt itself. I posted a short video. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Ps, my bolt doesn’t have the hex head on the rear of the bolt. There doesn’t seem to be anything to tighten.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/092aEpRK484kKygUH9En0gvZA

Dave Hoback
12-04-2022, 07:56 PM
No problem. Take the bolt & push that round peg down, the Cocking Piece Pin. Now the firing pin is tripped. Next, find an Allen wrench that fits the BAS (Bolt Action Screw). And just tighten it up. You can torque if you want. I don’t. I just cinch ‘em tight.

Sorry.. quick edit. You’ll see once you trip the firing pin, the big screw on the back has an Allen fitting. It’s just that your firing pin has a “cocking indicator”. Basically a poor version of a loaded chamber indicator.

Dave Hoback
12-04-2022, 08:06 PM
BTW.. I think it’s a 1/4” Allen wrench. Also, once tightened, you need to “Cock” the firing pin again. I brace the cocking piece pin against my wood bench while pushing the bolt assemble. The pin will ride up the ramp and set over the notch.

bomberodevil
12-04-2022, 08:18 PM
Thank you very much for your quick reply. That worked perfectly! I appreciate your assistance.

Dave Hoback
12-04-2022, 08:44 PM
Thats what we do here. Always a pleasure to help.

Robinhood
12-06-2022, 12:06 AM
Why not tighten it while in the receiver?

Dave Hoback
12-06-2022, 04:22 AM
Why not tighten it while in the receiver?

He could, but it was already out of the receiver. And it was a chance to show how to cock the bolt by hand, for that time when it trips and the bolt won’t go all the way forward in the receiver… (we all know about that happening, LOL!)

But you are right, I should also have said the bolt could be inserted back in the receiver, cocked on an empty chamber and pull trigger, which would then show access for the Allen in the BAS. As this is the quicker procedure.