PDA

View Full Version : How Good is the Axis ?

GrenGuy
12-03-2022, 12:33 PM
I have seen some pretty good shooting on here using the Axis. The action has a closed top, which theoretically should make it stiffer than the open top 10/110. It has been said that “ALL” Savages after 2019 have the one piece firing pin. Does this include the Savage Target Actions??? Can it be that this rinky dink looking new firing pin is just as accurate/or more than the old set up??? One weak link I see in the Axis is the recoil lug set up, but that can be overcome.

So what say the “Brain Trust” ? Can the Axis be built to the same accuracy as a Savage Target Action ???

sharpshooter
12-03-2022, 06:37 PM
No, not all Savages have the 1 pc firing pin.....just the cheap models. I've built several target rifles on Axis actions and actually prefer them over the precision actions. It does take a little more work but the savings means you can spend more on ammo.

charlie b
12-03-2022, 08:57 PM
I have come to like the Axis action even more than when I started out with it. Mine has the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock and now has the .308 barrel from my 12BVSS (26" heavy, fluted, stainless). I fully pillared and bedded the action into the stock. That process 'glued' the recoil lug into the stock, so it is kind of reverse of most rifles. But, it allows barrel swaps without disturbing the recoil lug. If I had thought of it I would have made a bigger recoil lug to fit into the stock more. I think between the pillars and embedded recoil lug, the action doesn't move in the stock.

Next I have to do something about the bolt handle. I think I'll file it, thread it, and fit a larger handle. I may get a 'spare' handle to do that work. Between Dave's offer of free trigger jobs or something like a McCarbo, the Axis has a lot of potential.

Makes me think about getting another Axis to build up. I may have to visit some pawn shops :)

FWIW, I still like my 12BVSS more. The stock that came with it is just feels more solid to me. Doesn't hurt that I love the Shilen 6BR barrel it has now :)

Dave Hoback
12-03-2022, 11:11 PM
There is nothing less accurate or worse about the 1-piece FP assembly. It’s just a different style with different attributes, both Pro & Con. Some builder’s like them more.

The bolt handle & Knob is important. It’s one of the things I recommend people first address. Besides giving a leverage increase, easing bolt lift, it speaks of the person’s choice in Rifle aesthetics. Both Glades Armory & Anarchy Outdoors offer superb bolt handles. As for the knob, any 5/16-24 threaded style will work. I machine my own from Titanium. There are many different material & styles sold.

GrenGuy
12-04-2022, 12:16 AM
No, not all Savages have the 1 pc firing pin.....just the cheap models. I've built several target rifles on Axis actions and actually prefer them over the precision actions. It does take a little more work but the savings means you can spend more on ammo.

Thanks Fred. I seem to remember You turning 3/16” or so off the Edge/Axis action face to accommodate the use of a standard recoil lug. charlie, Dave, I have modified and made knobs for bolt handles. But that Axis handle would have to go. I think the Glades offering would foot the bill nicely.

wbm
12-04-2022, 05:17 AM
Have a Glades on mine...like it.

Fuj'
12-04-2022, 07:31 AM
Not to steer to far off point but I need an accurate O.D. measurement of an Axis
action.

thebeav
12-04-2022, 09:45 AM
To be clear, a stock Axis is an entry level rifle. I like the accutrigger, and, with their preferred ammo, they're pretty damn nice shooters.
I only have one, a 223. I really like the gun and I have more fun with it than people should be allowed to have.

boomer92266
12-04-2022, 07:04 PM
I got a new Axis back in January 2022, would not hold a group after 3 rds without cleaning. I finally found a spot at the end of the muzzle that was rough and looked terrible. I contacted Savage and they said they would only shoot a 3 shot group to test the barrel and if it was within specs then nothing else they can do. I sold it and bought a Ruger American because the gun would be fine in the 1,2,3 shots but the fourth would be an inch or so away but according to Savage still in spec and the 5th onward would be so wild it was well over 5 inches. I know I probably got a bad barrel but it has soured me for the moment on Savage. I do plan on buying Savage later but will look it over with a light and hope I have better luck. The customer service did not go as I would like, they could have at least fired the rounds needed to check it out. I have a post on here and other sites detailing the problem and the email Savage sent me saying not much could be done.

charlie b
12-04-2022, 09:32 PM
Sorry you got a 'bad' one. Someone who hunts once a year may be happy to have it. Hope your experience with Ruger is a good one.

Dave Hoback
12-04-2022, 10:22 PM
Not to steer to far off point but I need an accurate O.D. measurement of an Axis
action.

I’ve read 1.350” a few times Fuj. But sounds like you’re looking for precise measurement? Within a couple thous. or so? Sorry, I don’t have one handy.

You looking at machining something special like for ‘em I wonder?

Fuj'
12-05-2022, 06:09 AM
I’ve read 1.350” a few times Fuj. But sounds like you’re looking for precise measurement? Within a couple thous. or so? Sorry, I don’t have one handy.

You looking at machining something special like for ‘em I wonder?

Yes Sir !! Lug less so that when done, barrel and action will look one piece. Going tig weld in place
a lower floor plate for single shot. As for the no lug part ?? Aint telling.....LOL

As for Axis accuracy ?? We used 2 XP's at the club for Junior rifle, both were .223. With the IMI 55's
the kids could easily shoot 3/4" groups. Tested some 62's and they were over an inch. We used the
IMI 77gr mod 1's for 300 yards. The scopes held them back, but some time's 2 inch's was printed on
a windless late afternoon.

charlie b
12-05-2022, 09:25 AM
OK, so now everyone is curious :)

But, if welded up, then a 'lug' could be part of that, welded to the receiver and then bedded in the stock.

FWIW, you would not need that spacer. The Axis lug does not show and is not 'compressed by the barrel nut.

PS make the SS 'filler' a longer piece that is fitted to the stock like a rail. A big recoil lug. I may have to try this.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ffffffffffffffffffffffff rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffffffffffffffff

Or, weld up the SS and make a lug on the lower section you weld into the receiver

Fuj'
12-05-2022, 08:17 PM
Hint....The action will be floated and there will be no action screws. Somewhere along
the length though will be a lug but not in it's conventional form. Idea is to take a long
barrel and make it think it's real short. And no it will not be a rail gun. I have to keep
it under 22lbs.

Chip
12-13-2022, 07:07 AM
I have two axisII XP in 6.5CM they are one hole wonders at 100 yards never an issue

charlie b
12-13-2022, 10:05 AM
Hint....The action will be floated and there will be no action screws. Somewhere along
the length though will be a lug but not in it's conventional form. Idea is to take a long
barrel and make it think it's real short. And no it will not be a rail gun. I have to keep
it under 22lbs.

So, bed the barrel and not the action? Full wrap around 'stock'? Different.