PDA

View Full Version : MDT Oryx Savage Model 11

houser52
11-29-2022, 01:10 AM
MDT was having a Black Friday sale and that included an Oryx chassis to fit my Model 11 260 Remington so I ordered one. Almost all reviews that I could find were positive for the Oryx and I figured why not.

The only negatives I could find was that they are a little heavy for a hunting rifle. Weight shouldn’t be much of an issue for me since I mostly deer hunt from a tree stand and I keep a rifle in the truck for coyotes while checking the cows.
The main reasons to try a chassis stock are to have a stock with a more vertical grip and maybe to squeeze out a little more accuracy.

Anyone use an Oryx and what are your opinions on it?

deadduck357
11-29-2022, 08:15 AM
I don't have one but my uncle does and he loves it. Seems like it's well made and helps accuracy.

CFJunkie
11-29-2022, 08:58 AM
I have two, one for a 6.5mm CM and one for a .223, both on model 12 FV rifles that had hidden mags.
The factory stock did not have the stiffener that comes with an Accu-stock and I could feel the stock twist under recoil.
The .233 had the same stock, but I didn't feel the stock flex with the lighter recoil. But I needed a detachable mag because the 1/2 inch inserts in the .223 hidden mag and on the bolt made it difficult to load bullets that were loaded with a longer seating depth to achieve a short jump into the hidden mag.
The Oryx chassis was a pure drop-in for both rifles and solved both problems.
The Oryx stocks have improved each rifle's accuracy and have provided more consistency as well.

For the .223:
Factory Stock 5 group average for 90 groups was 0.352
Oryx chassis 5-round group average for 689 groups was 0.283. (Part of the reason for the bigger improvement was due to finding that this rifle would shoot 77 gr bullets better than anything else, even though it is a 1:9 twist and isn't supposed to be able to stabilize them.)
For the 6.5mm CM:
Factory Stock 5 group average for 198 groups was 0.365
Oryx chassis 5-round group average for 304 groups was 0.329

I documented my results with the Oryx chassis on this forum and the Ammo and Reloading forum in a number of threads with multiple posts.

Dave Hoback
11-29-2022, 11:55 AM
You did good. And you’ll be quite happy with it. The Oryx is without a doubt, the best dollar/performance chassis made.

houser52
11-30-2022, 12:02 AM
Thanks a lot guys for all the positive support. I sure am looking forward to getting it up and running. I’ve been checking my MDT account to see if it’s shipped yet even though it’s only been a few days. Hopefully I won’t have to wait weeks to get it.

While reading over the MDT website I noticed something. During the Black Friday sale they had the “overstock” Oryx on sale and they also had the Oryx on sale that was not marked as overstock. The “overstock” Oryx was not advertised as blemished either. Both Oryx had the same choice of inlets, colors, etc.

From what I could make out, they were the same but why was one cheaper than the other? Did they make a change and selling off the “overstock” models? It doesn’t matter to me but I’m just curious.

deadduck357
11-30-2022, 05:58 AM
While reading over the MDT website I noticed something. During the Black Friday sale they had the “overstock” Oryx on sale and they also had the Oryx on sale that was not marked as overstock. The “overstock” Oryx was not advertised as blemished either. Both Oryx had the same choice of inlets, colors, etc.

From what I could make out, they were the same but why was one cheaper than the other? Did they make a change and selling off the “overstock” models? It doesn’t matter to me but I’m just curious.
Yeah I don't know either. One of the items I ordered was their bolt knob. They were available as "over stock" and another option. Both had the same part number but the 'over stock' was a few bucks cheaper but no explanation of what determines "over stock". ???

houser52
12-15-2022, 02:34 AM
I received my new Oryx today. The stock looked great without any defects that I could see. The action dropped right in and I torqued the included action screws to the recommended 60 in lbs. The Oryx gives the rifle a whole new feel compared to the traditional stock, love the AR style grip. Length of pull as it came was about perfect but I’ll have to try removing a shim to see how it feels.

I already had a Magpul 7.62 5 round magazine to use but I had to remove a little material from the front of the feed lips before it would fully seat. It now seats and feeds fine. It did add some weight though. Total weight with scope rail, scope, rings and loaded mag weighs 10# 2 oz. I usually hunt from a tree stand or carry it in the truck when checking pasture fences so a little extra weight shouldn’t be a problem.

Didn't get to shoot it yet to check for accuracy because of the cold rain but hope to when it stops.

deadduck357
12-15-2022, 06:32 AM
I received my new Oryx today. The stock looked great without any defects that I could see. The action dropped right in and I torqued the included action screws to the recommended 60 in lbs. The Oryx gives the rifle a whole new feel compared to the traditional stock, love the AR style grip. Length of pull as it came was about perfect but I’ll have to try removing a shim to see how it feels.

I already had a Magpul 7.62 5 round magazine to use but I had to remove a little material from the front of the feed lips before it would fully seat. It now seats and feeds fine. It did add some weight though. Total weight with scope rail, scope, rings and loaded mag weighs 10# 2 oz. I usually hunt from a tree stand or carry it in the truck when checking pasture fences so a little extra weight shouldn’t be a problem.

Didn't get to shoot it yet to check for accuracy because of the cold rain but hope to when it stops.
Good to hear. Let us know how it shoots.

Dave Hoback
12-15-2022, 12:55 PM
Awesome. Glad you like it.

houser52
12-17-2022, 08:42 PM
The Savage with the new Oryx stock shoots ok for a hunting rifle in 8 mph wind and…

also verifying the BDC reticle on a new Athlon Argos 2-12. Reticle is pretty much on at 300 yards.

https://i.postimg.cc/1tjVnkXy/7-B40032-F-F2-DB-4-E10-8592-F72-ADF05-DB6-B.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Q9cdvncz)

Dave Hoback
12-17-2022, 10:17 PM
Thats just over a .5MOA. Very nice. Kudos!

deadduck357
12-19-2022, 02:29 PM
The Savage with the new Oryx stock shoots ok for a hunting rifle in 8 mph wind and…

also verifying the BDC reticle on a new Athlon Argos 2-12. Reticle is pretty much on at 300 yards.

https://i.postimg.cc/1tjVnkXy/7-B40032-F-F2-DB-4-E10-8592-F72-ADF05-DB6-B.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Q9cdvncz)
Like!