PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Lyman tang sight question

MrBojangles
11-05-2022, 06:26 PM
I believe the two leaf folding sight was created to be used in conjunction with a Lyman SA tang sight. So that it wouldn’t interfere with the sight line of the tang sight. But, if there is a standard sporting rear sight on a Savage Model 1899, would that interfere with the sight plane when using the tang sight and/or would this be historically accurate?

Also, is the only tang sight in use on the Savage 1899 the Lyman SA or were there other options?

MrBojangles
11-05-2022, 06:28 PM
Also, I should have asked are all tang sights for the Model 1899 vintage, or were reproductions manufactured?

MrBojangles
11-06-2022, 12:45 AM
This answers one of my questions. There were a variety of tang sights.

http://www.savage99.com/tang_sights.htm

Also, further research shows you can get a reproduction today so what are things to look at when comparing a reproduction to an original?

Big Al1
11-06-2022, 11:58 AM
Marbles still makes a sight for the 99, I've put them on several of my rifles. My latest acquisition came with a vintage Marbles sight, and it's made the same as the newer ones. I also have Lyman sights but prefer the Marbles since they are windage adjustable. Most came with the buck horn sight, which has to be removed so it won't block the tang sight.

MrBojangles
11-06-2022, 01:04 PM
Marbles still makes a sight for the 99, I've put them on several of my rifles. My latest acquisition came with a vintage Marbles sight, and it's made the same as the newer ones. I also have Lyman sights but prefer the Marbles since they are windage adjustable. Most came with the buck horn sight, which has to be removed so it won't block the tang sight.

So a brand new Marbles tang sight is EXACTLY identical to a vintage one? If so, well that’s cool! Please verify.

Easy enough to verify if a standard sporting rear sight will obscure the tang sight, except I don’t have a Savage 1899 at arm’s length right now. But I was thinking of acquiring a few tang sights to have on hand, but obviously for use with the folding 2 leaf sight and not with the standard rear sporting sight.

JimFsh
11-06-2022, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=Mr . . . . .use with the folding 2 leaf sight and not with the standard rear sporting sight.[/QUOTE]

please help me understand . . . .

WHY do you need to use the tang sight to “use with the folding 2 leaf sight”?

All my rifles with the tang sight have had the rear, barrel sights REMOVED.

There is no need to align the tang, barrel, and front sight all together.

MrBojangles
11-06-2022, 02:03 PM
For multiple options. Use the two leaf rear sight when the tang sight is folded down or use the tang sight when the leaves of the rear sight are folded down.

MrBojangles
11-06-2022, 08:29 PM
Here’s the Marbles current production tang sight.

I’ll start with I’m glad they are still making them.

But, from what I can see, not an exact replica of a vintage/early 20th Century sight. Fit and finish not there and an Allen adjustment is not period.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005873563

CalhounRR
11-07-2022, 02:28 AM
No, the current Marbles sight is NOT just like the earlier ones. In fact I don't like them personally, and take them off any guns I buy that have one. They are windage adjustable, but I feel they are "flimsy" compared to the earlier sights. I've got a couple pages of common tang and receiver sights in my book, but there are more types that show up that are very uncommon.

The Lyman 29 1/2 and 30 1/2 sights are probably the best early tang sights, the Lyman 1A/2A and Marbles S1 are the most common.

Sometimes just lowering your rear sight all the way with the elevator is enough to use the tang sight. Other times it's necessary to remove the rear sight and put in a sight slot blank, or a folding rear sight of the appropriate height.

MrBojangles
11-07-2022, 09:36 AM
No, the current Marbles sight is NOT just like the earlier ones. In fact I don't like them personally, and take them off any guns I buy that have one. They are windage adjustable, but I feel they are "flimsy" compared to the earlier sights. I've got a couple pages of common tang and receiver sights in my book, but there are more types that show up that are very uncommon.

The Lyman 29 1/2 and 30 1/2 sights are probably the best early tang sights, the Lyman 1A/2A and Marbles S1 are the most common.

Sometimes just lowering your rear sight all the way with the elevator is enough to use the tang sight. Other times it's necessary to remove the rear sight and put in a sight slot blank, or a folding rear sight of the appropriate height.

Yes, flimsy is the best way to describe currently manufactured Marbles sights. Describes what I see best.

Once again, as always, vintage is better than current manufacture. I’ve never been one to go for anything new, anyways.

Big Al1
11-07-2022, 09:58 AM

I won't disagree with the flimsy part. But finding an old original is sometimes difficult, and $$$$!

MrBojangles
11-07-2022, 10:26 AM
I won't disagree with the flimsy part. But finding an old original is sometimes difficult, and $$$$!

I would rather spend the money and buy something good instead of paying less for junk.

CalhounRR
11-07-2022, 10:42 AM
There's a lot of Lyman 1A/2A and Marbles S1 that go through eBay, might run $30 or $50 more than a new Marbles. Pain watching for them, yes. I have luck picking up the occasional one at Tulsa or other gun show for reasonable prices.

MrBojangles
11-07-2022, 09:35 PM
There's a lot of Lyman 1A/2A and Marbles S1 that go through eBay, might run $30 or $50 more than a new Marbles. Pain watching for them, yes. I have luck picking up the occasional one at Tulsa or other gun show for reasonable prices.

Let me get this rifle in a few weeks and see how it is with the rear sporting sight. As it probably never had a tang sight in 109 years, it might just not need one now.

However, I don’t object to picking up now at a reasonable price a vintage Lyman or Marbles Model 1899 sight just to have in case I might need it in the future.