PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 Axis Horizontal Stringing

Pages : [1] 2

Longranger
11-03-2022, 02:59 PM
So I bought a stainless axis with the accutrigger and newer stock design in 30-06 from a guy who says it was brand new, still had the stickers on it. I've tried 180gr core lokt, 180gr power shok, and 150gr interlock factory loads and all exhibit severe horizontal stringing. The groups are around 1" vertically and like 5" horizontally. I torqued the stock screws to 35 lb/ft on the front and 30 lb/ft on the back. The scope is a redfield revolution 2-7 (leupold-made, made in oregon) with talley 1 piece ring/bases. No barrel-stock contact. Shooting off of bags or my caldwell rest doesn't make a difference. Any ideas on what the problem could be? I'm going to try a different scope next but if that isn't it I'll be at a complete loss

wbm
11-03-2022, 03:29 PM
Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Yes.

Dave Hoback
11-03-2022, 08:44 PM
You are saying a 5” horizontal string in grouping, how many shots in the group? Is that a 5 shot group? So, 5 shots like 1” apart? Are the shots continually stringing? My meaning, is every shot an inch further? Or are the shots sporadic across? I have to ask, is your shooting prowess beyond contestation? If you are certain it’s not you, then the next step is scope & mounts. Look at the mounts carefully. I’ve seen all too often, many people will put absolute CRAP rings/bases on their rifle.

Longranger
11-03-2022, 10:11 PM
You are saying a 50 horizontal string in grouping, how many shots in the group? Is that a 5 shot group? So, 5 shots like 1” apart? Are the shots continually stringing? My meaning, is every shot an inch further? Or are the shots sporadic across? I have to ask, is your shooting prowess beyond contestation? If you are certain it’s not you, then the next step is scope & mounts. Look at the mounts carefully. I’ve seen all too often, many people will put absolute CRAP rings/bases on their rifle.
Yes 5 shot groups, they're sporadically stringing horizontally, no pattern. Not 5 shots 1" apart. I'm not the greatest shooter out there but I've been shooting my whole life and generally know when I pull a shot. But that's why I tried the caldwell rest - to take as much of the me factor out of the equation as possible. The bases/rings are 1 piece talley, supposed to be very good quality and little to go wrong. The scope is made by leupold but I got it 2nd hand so who knows. I'm putting a different scope on tonight and will take it out again tomorrow weather permitting, I'm hoping it's the scope at this point because of leupolds warranty. Anyway thanks for the response, I'm trying to eliminate one variable at a time but figured I'd ask here as bolt guns aren't my forte to be honest.

prdatr
11-04-2022, 09:22 AM
Yes 5 shot groups, they're sporadically stringing horizontally, no pattern. Not 5 shots 1" apart. I'm not the greatest shooter out there but I've been shooting my whole life and generally know when I pull a shot. But that's why I tried the caldwell rest - to take as much of the me factor out of the equation as possible. The bases/rings are 1 piece talley, supposed to be very good quality and little to go wrong. The scope is made by leupold but I got it 2nd hand so who knows. I'm putting a different scope on tonight and will take it out again tomorrow weather permitting, I'm hoping it's the scope at this point because of leupolds warranty. Anyway thanks for the response, I'm trying to eliminate one variable at a time but figured I'd ask here as bolt guns aren't my forte to be honest.

I would also be looking at the scope as the culprit. I have used those Talley one piece rings and bases for 15 years and never once had an issue on four different rifles from a Tikka Model 695 in 30-06 to a Remington 700 in 7 Mag.

LHitchcox
11-04-2022, 10:12 AM
Could be a scope issue or could be contact between stock and barrel. Check barrel to stock contact. An issue I have had was stock screws that were too long. I like to remove a thread or two from the factory screws to be sure the screws are not bottoming out.

shagerott
11-04-2022, 11:57 AM
Could be a scope issue or could be contact between stock and barrel. Check barrel to stock contact. An issue I have had was stock screws that were too long. I like to remove a thread or two from the factory screws to be sure the screws are not bottoming out. - +1

Also check the front scope base screws. Have had more than one Savage with the front base screws hitting the barrel threads before bottoming out.

LHitchcox
11-04-2022, 12:56 PM
That is what I was referring to, but should have been clearer. Several times the I have had the front screw bottoming against the barrel threads instead of bottoming in the scope base. That gives a little horizontal wiggle room. I fond that taking a thread and a half to two threads solves the issue with plenty of threads left.

Dave Hoback
11-04-2022, 05:56 PM
Yeah, you’re good on mount/rings. Talley is quality stuff. I’m thinking you’re scope as well. BTW.. Don’t believe you’ll find any warranty on the scope. Leupold owned Redfield, but they didn’t warranty.. the scopes were still warranty directly through Redfield. And even if they did, Leupold SOLD the Redfield name to Academy Sports last year. I don’t believe anything Redfield is being produced currently. It’s much like with Nikon optics. They got out of the Rifle Scope game a few years ago. So anyone with a higher dollar Nikon, don’t expect any warranty aside from a gift certificate for one of their spotting scopes or camera lenses maybe. That’s only because they are operational. Which it looks like Redfield is it. I think you’re out of luck there unfortunately.

LHitchcox
11-04-2022, 06:21 PM
Dave, the current production Redfields have an over the counter warranty at Academy. They had a few in stock last week when I was in the store. The question is where and who makes them. One of the counter guys at Academy told me that Leupold is making them for Academy. Not sure I believe that. Next time I am in there, I will ask to see one and check where it is manufactured.

wbm
11-04-2022, 06:48 PM
The question is where and who makes them.

I sent in a broken Redfield Revenge to Leupold last year and they replaced it with a Leupold scope.

Dave Hoback
11-04-2022, 07:17 PM
Dave, the current production Redfields have an over the counter warranty at Academy. They had a few in stock last week when I was in the store. The question is where and who makes them. One of the counter guys at Academy told me that Leupold is making them for Academy. Not sure I believe that. Next time I am in there, I will ask to see one and check where it is manufactured.

Gotchya. But what about past Redfields like the OP’s 2-7x33 Revolution? I’d be surprised if Academy takes care of them?? But maybe.

charlie b
11-04-2022, 07:20 PM
According to the press releases about the sale of Redfield to Academy, Leupold would continue to warranty Redfields made before the sale. Academy made products would be under the Academy warranty.

I am just glad to see that Leupold has not been sold to one of the conglomerates.

Dave Hoback
11-04-2022, 07:30 PM
Well that’s good if it ends up going that way for him. And he’ll get a Leupold instead.. Nice! By the by… where are you longranger? Didn’t you say you trying a new scope today? What’s the word?

Longranger
11-05-2022, 05:48 AM
Wall that’s good if it ends up going that way for him. And he’ll get a Leupold instead.. Nice! By the by… where are you longranger? Didn’t you say you trying a new scope today? What’s the word?

Sorry it rained literally all day yesterday here in Iowa so I didn't get out. I swapped the redfield out for a vortex but now I think I'll take it back off again and check the mount screws, the posts about them bottoming out has got me paranoid now :eek:

Good news on the redfield warranty, I'd rather have an actual leupold branded one anyway just so I can feel more Gucci lol. More rain and lots of wind in the forecast today but tomorrow evening it's supposed to die down finally so it looks like that'll be my window. Will report back asap, thanks for all the help so far!

Dave Hoback
11-05-2022, 09:49 AM
Nothing wrong with that. Hey, I share your paranoia. I encourage those buying a rifle with the scope already mounted, regardless if used or a new combo gun, remove the rings and mount/rail. Clean the surfaces and install/torque the screws to specifications. I also say at least loosen & re-torque the Action screws. In your rifles case, I would remove the screws & separate the Action from the stock. Again, clean the stock channel & barreled Action surfaces & reinstall/torque screws.

charlie b
11-05-2022, 10:02 AM
When things are funny like that I usually check the scope mount first. Decades ago I had a rifle that just would not shoot well. It had a Leupold mount and scope on it. Took base off and remounted, even lapped the base to the receiver. Aligned the rings and then mounted the scope. Still off. Then finally figured out the lateral mount screws on the base were bottomed out so the scope would drift sideways. Not enough so I could feel it, but, about 2MOA worth. Little bit of time with the grinding wheel and all was good.

Dave Hoback
11-05-2022, 11:26 AM
Yessir! I check the leading scope rail/mount first. The screw overtop the barrel threads. If it bottoms out the rail will still be loose. I not only check the actual depth with a caliper, but also just snug the screw to make certain the rail does not move with just that screw installed.

Robinhood
11-07-2022, 05:49 PM
Without any knowledge of your set up or experience, Take your phone and place it beside you on your trigger hand side. Record yourself pulling the trigger several times. Then record the barrel by turning the camera the direction that shows the end of the barrel from the rear with a stationary object to observe barrel movement. This is cheap and might show you something you are missing.

Whynot
11-07-2022, 06:51 PM
Not the real subject of this thread but never understood why Leupold purchased Redfield-- They got them and then offered a few redfield branded products- some bino's and a couple scopes that were the same as the vx line but didn't really market them. And then sold it. When they purchased Redfield they were pretty much foreign made junk- so you wouldn't think they would have technology or patents that they wanted... but maybe.

Horizontal spread can be the gun not liking the seating depth- but if it is doing it with multiple ammo's then it probably isn't the cause. It's not horrible- but 30-06 still has substantial recoil- and can be difficult to shoot well.

I'd still try a match ammo- even though it looks like you want it for a hunting rig with the ammo that you have tried- but that could still verify that it is not a ammo issue.