PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 Axis Horizontal Stringing

Pages : 1 [2]

Dave Hoback
11-07-2022, 09:25 PM
If you read the stories on it, Leupold had big plans. They saw Redfield as being the low cost, American choice for shooters. Unfortunately, in 2008, they hadn’t counted on the high quality of so many Chinese offerings in the last decade+. Leupold was sure they would be able to up the cost of production in the US in sales, but they were mistaken. To keep in-line with their vision, they would have needed to raise the prices of Redfield scopes. And since Redfield already had their background, there was no way they’d have been able to sell enough. Not to mention, ATK never gave up the rights to the Redfield mounts/rings, which is the real money-maker! Steel/Aluminum mounts & rings made in China for Pennie’s on the dollar and sold for moderate US pricing. Because there are still those who won’t go the Picatinny route. (Mostly US made). The only other option is the Standard/Dovetail mounts of Redfield & Leupold.. all of which are made in China. (Not a poke. They are machined well.)

Longranger
11-07-2022, 09:44 PM
Well guys I'm happy to report that it was the scope that was the problem! I checked the Talley base screws and the back 3 were not protruding inside the receiver and I pulled the front screw and it is plenty short, great suggestion though I never would've thought of that! I also checked the rings for straightness with those wheeler alignment thingies and they're incredibly straight, guess they're high enough quality to not need any lapping like the company claims.

The weather finally cleared up today (Iowa weather sucks) so I shot the same hornady ammo today with a cheap Vortex crossfire 3-9 on it and everything was right around 1 moa. Bear in mind the squares on my target are not 1" they're closer to 1/2" The two groups on the left are the last two groups I shot and were 1.03" and .57" with no noticeable stringing patterns whatsoever in these two or any of the previous groups. The previous groups were all right around 1" as well. I decided to just shoot 3 round groups today because I was running low on ammo and this is a hunting rig anyway.

However I tried the 180gr federal power shoks and they still grouped like complete crap, around 3", but without the stringing, so I guess it was multiple variables messing with me last time. Not sure what's going on with Federal, I shot some of their 450 power shok ammo today and it produced shotgun-sized groups whereas the hornady 450 groups just over 2" out of my 10.5" el cheapo pistol upper. Needless to say I don't think I'll be wasting my time with Power Shok stuff anymore.

As for the Redfield scope, I did notice that the windage turret feels a little funny, it's kind of mushy, not sure how to describe it. If you turn it one direction, stop, then turn it the opposite direction, it has a bit of travel before it clicks, like it skips a click. The elevation turret doesn't seem to do that so I'm thinking this might have something to do with the horizontal stringing, like something interally is letting the windage shift. I'm just guessing though I'm no scope expert. Oh and I have noticed a funny phenomenon with this scope - after sitting for a few months it always has a dime-sized wet spot on the outside body of the scope, on one side of the front bell. Always in the same place. Any ideas on what that could be? :confused:

Anyway I'll be sending it in and maybe I'll get a Leupold branded replacement like Charlie B and WBM said, fingers crossed lol. I actually really like the redfield it's the lightest scope I own at 10 ounces and still has plenty of magnification for hunting imo. And it has very generous eye relief which is nice for a 6 lb 30-06 lol. If it had illumination it would be the ideal hunting scope... maybe leupold has something like that I could trade up for.

Dave Hoback
11-07-2022, 11:31 PM
Outstanding news! Not that a new scope is needed, but verification of a problem. Always gives one a sigh of relief when a problem is figured out. I wish you luck on warranty replacement. That would outstanding if got a Leupold replacement. Here’s hoping my friend!

Make sure you let us know how it goes with them.

Longranger
11-08-2022, 12:32 AM
Outstanding news! Not that a new scope is needed, but verification of a problem. Always gives one a sigh of relief when a problem is figured out. I wish you luck on warranty replacement. That would outstanding if got a Leupold replacement. Here’s hoping my friend!

Make sure you let us know how it goes with them.
Haha I agree it's not the best outcome but it's a resolution and beats the heck out of the gun itself having the problem. I checked out the Leupold site and they have a vx-freedom 2-7x33 that appears to be identical in every way to my redfield so maybe they'll offer that one, fingers crossed. Thanks again for all the help I'm glad it was something simple but you guys definitely mentioned things that I would've never thought of on my own!

charlie b
11-08-2022, 09:38 AM
Congrats on finding the issue.

Ammo sensitivity is common on rifles. I used to have the list of cartridges Savage uses to test fire in their rifles. The only one I remember was the .308WIn, which was Federal Gold Medal Match 168gn (Sierra Match King bullets).

Longranger
11-09-2022, 04:31 AM
Congrats on finding the issue.

Ammo sensitivity is common on rifles. I used to have the list of cartridges Savage uses to test fire in their rifles. The only one I remember was the .308WIn, which was Federal Gold Medal Match 168gn (Sierra Match King bullets).

Yeah I'll definitely try some different ammo in this gun eventually, Hornady discontinued the 180gr gmx load that I used to buy for my other axis so I'll be looking at some other options once I hopefully get a replacement scope.

Wayne Nixon
11-09-2022, 11:29 AM
I just put together a Axis 30-06 for deer season(starts Saturday in Ark) I shot Hornady American Whitetail 150 in it. Shoots good in my other rifles as well, give some a try and see how they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longranger
11-09-2022, 03:11 PM
I just put together a Axis 30-06 for deer season(starts Saturday in Ark) I shot Hornady American Whitetail 150 in it. Shoots good in my other rifles as well, give some a try and see how they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing it'll shoot pretty well, it seems like the only of the common, cheap rounds that has any level of consistency. The core lokts I've shot all have hugely varying seating depths and the noses of the soft points are very inconsistent, the power shoks have the same issue with the soft points but the seating depths are more consistent, didn't help in my gun though they still shot like garbage. Never tried the winchester power point stuff