View Full Version : Projectiles with a crimp

Totosdad
10-24-2022, 01:39 PM
I have quite a few40 grain V Max in 224 diameter that have a crimp from an
AR that were taken apart and was wondering if the crimp will make a lot of
difference when fired out of a bolt action. Any help is appreciated

Dave Hoback
10-24-2022, 03:52 PM
I use a factory crimp die on 223 loads for my AR. I do NOT, nor would I ever crimp anything for a bolt action. The only reason I crimp loads for the AR is for fear of bullet set back. Not saying crimped loads are necessarily inaccurate. No sir. My 223 loads are still very accurate! I just believe no crimp affords the greatest accuracy potential overall. I think most hand loaders agree.

Totosdad
10-24-2022, 04:12 PM
What I mean is, there is a crimp mark on the bullet, I am not crimping for my bolt gun

Dave Hoback
10-24-2022, 05:23 PM
A crimp mark, or are they cannelure bullets?

Oh, wait. I don’t think the 40gr Vmax bullets offer with cannelure. Be good to see the marks. As long as they are damaged, they will be fine. The Vmax bullets aren’t the most accurate bullets anyway. Decent, but people aren’t setting records with them.

charlie b
10-24-2022, 07:25 PM
Yep, just load and shoot.

Ernest T
10-25-2022, 09:40 AM
I’ve heard shooters complain of accuracy issues with reused projectiles from disassembled cartridges. Not huge differences, but noticeable if you’re going for small groups. I took apart 15 rounds that I thought I might have used the wrong powder in and made fouler rounds out of the parts.

Dave Hoback
10-25-2022, 05:02 PM
Sure, but like I said, the Vmax bullets aren’t known as extreme accuracy bullets. They are decent Varmint pills.

darkker
10-26-2022, 01:09 PM
Sure, but like I said, the Vmax bullets aren’t known as extreme accuracy bullets. They are decent Varmint pills.

?? I'm curious about your thoughts behind this. I've never though of a Vmax as being less than stellar in accuracy capability. They AMP hybrid process certainly didn't hurt capability for groups.

Cheers

Whynot
10-29-2022, 02:27 PM
The crimp on the bullet is a variable- not all bullets will be the same (and pulling them out could have caused minor differences also)- but unless they have been pinched or damaged then they should still shoot fine. I consider the v-max a middle of the road bullet in accuracy- better than most but not a match.

I know you said you were not intending to crimp (and neither do I on most cartridges) but some people swear by it on their precision loads. The idea being that you can apply the same crimp to each round and get a more consistent release point- even if neck tension was a little inconsistent on the reloads. I usually only crimp rounds that are going to be handled rough- either by the gun or the ones that are going to be beat up in the ammo case bouncing around in the truck for who knows how long.

Dave Hoback
10-29-2022, 03:52 PM
?? I'm curious about your thoughts behind this. I've never though of a Vmax as being less than stellar in accuracy capability. They AMP hybrid process certainly didn't hurt capability for groups.

Cheers

My apologies. I’m just now seeing this from you.
Please understand, I did not say Vmax pills are IN-accurate. No, they are still very accurate & great for Varmint hunting. However, you likely will NOT find competition shooters using them. With others like the A-max as well as the newer OTM & ELD series of Hornady, & besides that, we can discuss SMK, Lapua Scener, Berger VLD, and a host of others. These other OTM & Ballistic Tip style bullets simply present more accuracy potential for those looking for ultimate Accuracy.

darkker
10-29-2022, 04:23 PM
Fair enough. Was just curious, given the context of the thread.

Cheers