PDA

View Full Version : Want to build a bull barrel 30-06

Dogmann
10-17-2022, 12:18 AM
I’m a little new to the savages. I have a LRPV and a savage stealth . I would love to build a similar bull barrel LRPV in 30/06. What is the best way of getting this done? I don’t see any bull barrel 30/06’s in the savage lineup. I also like the old 112 bull barrel.

Dave Hoback
10-17-2022, 12:53 AM
What is your LRPV & Stealth chambered in?

You seem to be ok with single shot, yes? If so, either of those Actions would work. And if either is using a standard bolt head (308), all that is require is a Barrel. Any barrel manufacturer will have a 30-06 Bull Barrel.

If you want it to use either blind or removable magazine, you must start with a Long Action. I look for the Savage rifles used as cheap as I can find. Because I’m only interested in the Action & building off it after stripping it down & “Basement Blueprint”, LOL! With a Long Action and standard bolt head face, again only the barrel is required.,

Also, what is you DIY background with firearms. Have you replaced parts before? Replacing a Savage barrel is quite easy. Only the Action & Barrel wrench are needed, along with “Go.” Gauge in the anticipated chambering. Many here have all the tools. You may live close to one of us who would be happy to lend a hand.

Dogmann
10-17-2022, 01:46 PM
The LRPV is 223. They never made a 30cal LRPV…

Dave Hoback
10-17-2022, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I wasn’t thinking when I typed that for the LRPV… sorry. Was focusing on the Stealth.

Is it another rifle you’re looking to do? That is best option like I outlined with a Long Action. But it will work in a Short. Here’s what I would do if I wanted that style. Go to Gunbroker and either Bid on one of the lower priced or buy one of the 111’s outright. Like this: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/947478177 That gives you the Action, Bolt assy., Trigger, blind mag parts, etc.

Then get whatever a Barrel from whichever manufacturer you’d like, as I said. These guys are hard to beat. 26” 416R Savage Bull contour , chambered in 30-06, 1:9 5R twist & Matt blasted for $331! Next, any stock or Chassis you fancy. I’m a Chassis guy, but stocks, very much like that on the LRPV, can be had quite inexpensively. There are only her supporting parts, but nothing necessary. What I just outlined & you’d have a very nice, 100% functional (and likely very accurate) LRPV type rifle for under $1K, depending on the stock.

charlie b
10-18-2022, 08:26 AM
Do you want to trade out the barrel on one of your current rifles or build a new one?

If a new one then the 'hard' part is procuring an action. As Dave mentioned a complete rifle can be had for less, especially if you don't really care which action you get.

Northland Shooter Supply is probably the best source of new (take off) Savage actions but the selection is limited. If you want a decent mid'range price barrel they are probably the place to go to. They also are a good source for Shilen and Criterion barrels (as well as an action vise and nut wrench). The owner is also a great resource and will help you get what you need.

An option, if you find one for decent money, is a Ruger RPR and then just replace the barrel. Forgot, the std short action will not be long enough. That would mean having to convert the bolt of a magnum RPR.

If I were building a "good" rifle I'd probably get a Remington (or similar custom) action and use a Remage barrel.

I also noticed that Northland has Bighorn actions made to fit Savage barrels as well as shouldered prefit Criterian barrels for their actions. A couple more options to consider.

Dave Hoback
10-18-2022, 10:30 AM
No me… I’ve been a Savage fan since I was 18. I chose to “build” a Savage. And I have about the most custom ya can build a Savage. I’ve put the time into improving its function & appearance. Has an easy bolt lift, smooth operation (at least as any 700), and it will kick the hell out of a good many 700’s at that. So, pick your poison.