PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 E new replacement large fore stock gap - dirt?

BobAZ
10-15-2022, 09:56 AM
Savage 110 E, purchased replacement bedded stock. Worried about dirt ect. getting into fore stock due to the wide gap (1/4"+) between barrel and stock. What should I use to fill the void under the barrel and around it? Keeping the barrel free floating of course.
Thanks, BW

Dave Hoback
10-15-2022, 12:04 PM
Nothing. Just clean underneath often. I use only Chassis with tube handguards, so there is a lot of room around the barrel, not to mention M-Lok ports all around it. So dirt certainly has an easy path. But it’s also an easy path to keep the barrel clean.

Unless of course, esthetically it bothers you. Then, you can use bedding compound whatever.

Robinhood
10-15-2022, 01:49 PM
Agreed. If you want to fill that gap just copious amounts of glass or epoxy bedding material. Take painters tape and afix it lengthwise down the barel with the edges on top. Rub or spray a release agent on the last piece of tape, tape the stock off and lay it down. done it and it turned out nice. I sanded and painted the filler black after it hardened. Turned out nice. I used some aviation epoxy a guy on this furum turned us onto. Light and workable. It sanded very smooth too.

Metalset A4
https://d29y7fsthxbb26.cloudfront.net/cache/400-400-/catalog/graphics/2/02-00233.jpg

BobAZ
10-17-2022, 08:59 AM
Thank you, I appreciate your help
BW

bsekf
10-17-2022, 09:51 AM
Keep in mind, "pretty doesn't make them shoot any better, but free floated barrels usually do"