PDA

View Full Version : Finished the model 10 makeover.

Pages : [1] 2

Dave Hoback
10-11-2022, 03:48 PM
Could not have come out any better. Cerekoted the new Mirage URL stock in Tactical Grey & the Barreled Action in Armor Black. Talley Picatinny rail and my ADM scope mount I’ve used the last 5-6 years. It’s holding the US Optics TS-20 scope I picked up recently. So it’s the same rifle, essentially…still the same barreled action, Shilen Barrel in 260 Rem. Just, everything else I changed, LOL! Has some custom parts and a good bit of Titanium. Ti Bolt Handle & BAS are from Lumley Arms. The Ti Bolt Knob I machined at home from Titanium Rod. Also has my custom made S7 tool steel firing pin assy with 20lb Flat Wire, Chrom-Silicon Spring. Still using the stock bolt I just just Cerakoted in the same Armor Black as well as the same PTG Bolt head I was using on the last rig. The Bipod is the custom piece I made recently from Aluminum Billet, Carbon Fiber & Titanium rod. It weighs right about 16lbs. I know, I know…“let us know how it shoots”.. Right? Well, I already know as it’s the same barreled Action. It shoots much better than my half blind, crippled butt can anymore! HAHAHAHA. Honestly, I have no idea when I’ll get out again anyway. I sincerely do enjoy building, upgrading, modifying more than even shooting anymore. More than even owning it really! However, it is one hell of a Savage. About the most unique I’ve ever come across.

jkv45
10-11-2022, 03:59 PM
Wow! Looks great Dave!

celltech
10-11-2022, 04:01 PM
Very nice....any reason you didn't thread the barrel? No brakes or cans to go on it?

Dave Hoback
10-11-2022, 04:18 PM
Very nice....any reason you didn't thread the barrel? No brakes or cans to go on it?

Nah, I have no use for either. I’m not a Super Tacticool-Elite Sniper of death.. so I don’t need a suppressor and I hate muzzle brakes, ie. “Loudeners”!

want2ride
10-11-2022, 06:30 PM
It is a beauty! My brother won that same model of scope at a match. Other than the lack of zero stop he really likes it a lot!

Dave Hoback
10-11-2022, 07:07 PM
Well, it has a stop, but it’s actually a limiter. Limits to 10Mil(1rotation) from zero. Just a little screw that gets installed. But no, not a stop as it’s known. But I have no use at all for zero stop.

PhilC
10-12-2022, 09:52 AM
While not my cup of tea, I can still appreciate your work and what you've done to make it yours. :thumb:

Dave Hoback
10-12-2022, 01:49 PM
My good friend in AZ is the same. He’s a die hard Wood & Leather kind of guy. I always joke asking him how his rotting, Biological material components are holding up. :smile-new:

I’ve always been a fan of non ferrous metals & synthetics. They are repeatable & last forever. As for the style, of course that’s purely to each one’s preference. Eye of the beholder & all that. I’m a Chassis fan. Hard wood Monty Carlo stocks… Hate ‘em! Only one I liked was the Grey Laminate on my old Model 116 Weather Warrior. It was nice looking…but still sucked, LOL! Seriously, this is the rifle I’ve envisioned for several years. I first saw this Mirage URL Chassis in a video by Matt Tibor. (TiborasarusRex). He had a 700 done in 7mm-300 and used this Chassis. That was 3 or 4 years ago I guess. From that point I knew it was the one.

charlie b
10-12-2022, 05:42 PM
Sounds like fly tying discussions. Traditional only feathers and hair or modern equivalents. And the old bamboo vs carbon fiber rod arguments. :) And those of us in the middle who do both.

I like wood laminate or fiberglass stocks, modern scopes and stainless barrels on my precision stuff. Then there is the Garand, Mauser C96 and a 20's SxS shotgun.

When I modified the stock on my 12BVSS to have an adjustable cheek piece I covered the cheek piece in leather :)

yellowhammer_al
10-13-2022, 05:25 PM
That is a sweet looking build, Dave! I put my wife’s 6.5C in a MDT Chassis a couple years ago and she loves it. I’ve toyed with the idea of doing a chassis rig but have never pulled the trigger on one for myself. Your build is starting to give me the itch again. Definitely a one of a kind build!

Ernest T
11-24-2022, 07:55 PM
Good looking gun

Could not have come out any better. Cerekoted the new Mirage URL stock in Tactical Grey & the Barreled Action in Armor Black. Talley Picatinny rail and my ADM scope mount I’ve used the last 5-6 years. It’s holding the US Optics TS-20 scope I picked up recently. So it’s the same rifle, essentially…still the same barreled action, Shilen Barrel in 260 Rem. Just, everything else I changed, LOL! Has some custom parts and a good bit of Titanium. Ti Bolt Handle & BAS are from Lumley Arms. The Ti Bolt Knob I machined at home from Titanium Rod. Also has my custom made S7 tool steel firing pin assy with 20lb Flat Wire, Chrom-Silicon Spring. Still using the stock bolt I just just Cerakoted in the same Armor Black as well as the same PTG Bolt head I was using on the last rig. The Bipod is the custom piece I made recently from Aluminum Billet, Carbon Fiber & Titanium rod. It weighs right about 16lbs. I know, I know…“let us know how it shoots”.. Right? Well, I already know as it’s the same barreled Action. It shoots much better than my half blind, crippled butt can anymore! HAHAHAHA. Honestly, I have no idea when I’ll get out again anyway. I sincerely do enjoy building, upgrading, modifying more than even shooting anymore. More than even owning it really! However, it is one hell of a Savage. About the most unique I’ve ever come across.

Dave Hoback
11-24-2022, 10:42 PM
Appreciate it. Shoots good to. Much better than I can muster anyway.

KMW1954
11-26-2022, 07:10 PM
Dave very nice indeed! Enjoy shooting it and thank you again for all your help.

bootsmcguire
11-27-2022, 03:14 AM
Looking Good Dave! Fun to machine your own parts isn't it? :)

J.Baker
11-27-2022, 04:28 AM
Looks great Dave!

I happen to be with PhilC though in that I'll take a nice curly maple or walnut stock over aluminum or plastic any day. Only have two rifles still wearing synthetic stocks. One's my 6x47 Lapua which has a KRG Bravo chassis (ok, so technically it's an aluminum/plastic hybrid), and the other is my 110 Lightweight Storm in .250AI that I just haven't gotten around to getting a better stock for yet.

MtnOak
12-05-2022, 10:29 PM
Very nice !!

Tonka
12-06-2022, 11:22 PM
Very nice!

Chris3.Drums
12-14-2022, 02:40 PM
Well done! I am a fan of the gray and black color scheme!

Dave Hoback
12-14-2022, 02:49 PM
Thanks. I like it. The Cerakote actually looks even better in person. That Tactical Gray is Sharp! Perfect amount of metallic in it.

Elconejo
01-16-2023, 03:14 PM
Looks great Dave!!!