PDA

View Full Version : 110 trigger advice

bhsurf4
10-11-2022, 12:59 AM
I just built a 6mm creedmoor with a 110 tactical action and a 26” Shilen barrel, in an MDT LSS XL Gen2 chassis. Didn’t set out to put together a $2K plus rifle, but like everything, it’s gotten there quick! Anyway, it has the accu-trigger, which isn’t terrible, but for a target rifle like this, I’d like to get the pull weight safely down to around 6oz if possible. I know the Rifle Basix Sav2 advertises the ability to be adjusted that light, but more than one review I’ve read, has said that they’ve had issues with sear engagement, no matter what they did, when adjusting it that low. I’m just wondering which of the aftermarket’s y’all have experience with, and if you would recommend changing out the accu-trigger for a Jard or Rifle Basix. I do have a Sav1 in an old 110 hunting rifle in .270, and I’ve been really happy with it. But I set it at about 2lbs and never messed with trying to get it down as low as it’s advertised it will go.

Whynot
10-11-2022, 12:08 PM
My advice- don't do it. 6 oz is crazy for the rifle you just described- and asking for trouble. At 6oz you cant even get your finger on the trigger and break the shot when you want, it's a touch it and off it goes. If you have the rifle completely supported in a rest or riding bags then you can shoot very well doing this, but for a chassis gun it will be no advantage. And you will probably develop a habit of slapping the trigger.

Dave Hoback
10-11-2022, 03:10 PM
I agree. People who ask about something like this, typically have never really experienced a truly light trigger. And When I say truly light, I’m talking about a trigger around maybe 1.5lbs. I have mine more like 2lbs. But 6oz is insane. A trigger that low can trip regardless. Firm follow through racking he bolt & chambering a round? Fagettaboutit! You watch people with triggers like that. Ultra SLOW, EASY bolt close. No furtive movements. And absolutely NO bumping the stock when chambered. In fact…, don’t even think about it tripping! Don’t even look at it funny! LOL!

Limiting/eliminating take-up, smoothness & very low/No over travel can make one’s “finger” believe the trigger pull to be much lower than it is. Honestly I think trigger offerings for Savage are pretty bad. The only one which does not rely on the stock Sear is the Jard. But it has its own issues. Problem is ya spend $150-$200 on any of the others & it’s only slightly better (if that!), on a worked 3-screw or Accutrigger. Not worth the money to me. I’ll keep setting up stock triggers until I get to try out Trigger-Tech’s try on it.

bhsurf4
10-11-2022, 05:40 PM
I have my other Savage precision adjusted to just under 1lb, with a target trigger spring, and I like it, but it’s just not consistent. When I measure it, it averages 1lb, but it’ll go from 14oz to 1.5 lbs. on 5 different pulls. Just took the new rifle to the range to sight it in, and it may be the worst accu trigger I’ve used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whynot
10-12-2022, 12:39 AM
Don't take this as I'm trying to make you justify what you want- but kind of curious

When I've been around supper light triggers it is when people are trying to get the absolute minimum interaction with the rifle so as not to move it off mark. They need a trigger that they can fire that will not upset the guns position because they are not really in much contact with the gun and possibly even letting it free recoil. With this you need a very light trigger. With the mdt chassis you are going to be all up in the guns business anyway- and shouldn't have any problem with a heavier safer trigger. What kind of target shooting are you wanting to do?

bhsurf4
10-12-2022, 01:49 AM
Don't take this as I'm trying to make you justify what you want- but kind of curious

When I've been around supper light triggers it is when people are trying to get the absolute minimum interaction with the rifle so as not to move it off mark. They need a trigger that they can fire that will not upset the guns position because they are not really in much contact with the gun and possibly even letting it free recoil. With this you need a very light trigger. With the mdt chassis you are going to be all up in the guns business anyway- and shouldn't have any problem with a heavier safer trigger. What kind of target shooting are you wanting to do?

Just punching paper. I don’t get to stretch out past 600 yards very often, although I did build it to be able to ring steel at longer distances. Most of the time I’m just looking to shoot small groups. I can’t see myself hunting with it, and I definitely won’t be competing in any PRS matches. If I can get the accu trigger it has on it to break as well as my other Savage does, I’m just gonna leave it, because I absolutely would rather not spend more money on this rifle. Already over what I wanted to spend. But as it sits now, and I didn’t measure it yet, I would guess the pull on it is 4lbs. I am going to take it back out of the chassis and double check everything, but I thought I adjusted it all the way. Even though I really don’t want to spend more money, with what I already have in the rifle, I want a good smooth consistent pull, and I prefer it pretty light. I’m gonna order the lighter “target” spring, it’s only a couple dollars, and see if it improves.

UPDATE: Was gonna wait until the morning to take the action outta the chasis and recheck the adjustment spring, but it was bothering me so bad, I got up and did it. It felt like it was adjusted all the way out (wouldn’t turn anymore) so I cranked it back up until it stopped, then backed it off again. When I was backing it off it got to a point where it felt like it wanted to stop, then let loose and turned a few more times. MUCH BETTER! Measured it at 4 1/2 lbs before I took it apart, it’s pretty close to 1 1/2 now. It may already have the target/varmint trigger spring in it, so I’m not gonna order one. Be another week before I can get it to the range again and see how it feels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhilC
10-12-2022, 10:16 AM
Have 2 red blade target Accutriggers on bench guns set to 9 - 10oz and really like them. They've spoiled me over the 1.5lb Accutrigger on my 12FV.

AllenOne1
10-12-2022, 08:11 PM
It sounds like you have this under control using the AccuTrigger. If not. I have been using the Jard for a couple of years and have gotten along with it well. They sell it in two different trigger pull weight ranges but all it takes to change it is a spring. So ordering the trigger and a cheap spring gives you a large adjustment range. I have been running mine at 8 oz without any issues shooting mostly from a bench or prone.

Robinhood
10-12-2022, 11:14 PM
With the facory Savage trigger, shiming or removing the side play will improve your consistency. I have played around with drilling the trigger and hanger holes out and machining oversize pins that were set up to eliminate side play without any binds or restrictions. The triggers actually do well. I also played with honing jigs for the sear surfaces. Dave Hobeck does that work also with success. Proper honing/polishing of the sear and removing sideplay will get you a really good trigger that is safe.

Too bad SSS doesnt make/sell their trigger anymore. finding one of those might be tough unless you bought up as many as you could before they dissapeared...
https://files.osgnetworks.tv/12/files/savage-trigger-upgrade-sharpshooter-supply/savage_trigger_upgrade_sharpshooter_supply_4.jpg

The Evolution from SSS was even better for a pure target rifle. Fred had to install this one though. There are pictures on the Web but the powers of the universe will not allow them to be posted here.

Dave Hoback
10-13-2022, 11:38 AM
You mean this here? 8680

And the link is still active. http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/EvolutionTrigger.html

yellowhammer_al
10-13-2022, 05:46 PM
OP, I have the Rifle Basix trigger and I set mine right at 2 lbs. I played with lighter weights and found that for my applications, lighter than that just really wasn't safe. I use all of my rifles in the field as well as for bench shooting. I've been at the range and seen a couple of accidental discharges when closing the bolt on super light triggers... the MDT stock should help close your groups and a moderately light trigger should be sufficient. 1.5-2lbs would be where I would set mine for bench shooting. Just my 2 cents.

Robinhood
10-13-2022, 09:54 PM
You mean this here? 8680 And the link is still active. http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/EvolutionTrigger.html Yep. That is the Evolution. Probably wont see one unless you buy the rifle/action with it already installed.