PDA

View Full Version : I don't think it's supposed to look like this

jlindholm70
10-10-2022, 08:28 PM
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qaEry4eQFrDHNMr58

Well, it looks like my link is broke. I'll try to fix it...

A buddy brought his rifle by, said it stopped ejecting. Ejector is stuck about 1/16th inch below bolt face. I pushed the retaining pin out and it didn't move. Thoughts? New bolt face?

Dave Hoback
10-10-2022, 10:01 PM
You could try drilling it out. I and many others here, have milling machines & Tungsten Carbide tooling bits. Wouldn’t be much trouble. But I don’t know your ability or tooling situation. Of course, yes, a new Bolt Head and parts kit would fix it in a jiff.

Wildcat
10-10-2022, 10:43 PM
You have a few options depending upon how much time and effort you want to invest in this project. Dave mentioned two (#1 and $4) I included in this list. I have either done these myself or have had fellow Savage owners share these with me when I encountered this problem. These are listed in no particular order:
1 - Replace the bolt head with a complete new one
2 - Apply Kroil or another penetrating or light oil and allow it to sit somewhere from 8 to 24 hours. Then press on the ejector with a pin punch repeatedly to loosen it up enough to where it pops out or rises enough for you to pull it out with needle nose pliers or a small pick. If that doesn't work, some have placed the lubricated bolt head in a vise and heated it up with a hair dryer. Then tap on the side and it may pop/shoot out. Most of these methods assume the spring is overly compressed and bound/stuck but not broken and/or really jammed/wedged as is commonly the case if this was caused by a hot load or blown primer. You may want to ask your friend to explain/describe the circumstances under which this happened to help you get an idea of the situation/condition you are dealing with.
3 - Hold the bolt head in your hand or a pair of parallel jaw or other non-marring pliers and tap the rear or side repeatedly with a brass hammer. It may move forward enough for you to grab it with small needle nose pliers and remove.
4 - Drill it out using a mill, a drill press, or a hand drill and a bit small enough to fit into the hole but not remove any metal from the sides of the bolt head. I don't recall what size I used in the past (3/32" or 1/16", I think). Take care to center the bit on the top of the ejector. I drilled mine about 1/4-1/3 way down and then the ejector pin caught on the bit and started to spin. I stopped and the pin came out when I removed the drill bit.
5 - Place it in a vise and use a jewelry engraver to drill/vibrate the top of the ejector until it either raises up enough to grab with pliers or pops out on its own.
6 - Some combination of #2 - #5

In my experience, I have not found a foolproof method that works each and every time other than drilling it out. Hence the various options. There are likely many other ways/methods/variations to remove a jammed/stuck ejector that I'm unfamiliar with. Hopefully those with more experience and knowledge than myself with chime in and share their knowledge.

jlindholm70
10-11-2022, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the help. Looks like we're going to be looking for a bolt head and parts. Midway has the bolt head, but no parts. I found a couple sites that have the bolt head kits, but I've never dealt with them before. I tried calling sharp shooting supplies, but they aren't taking phone calls and time is becoming critical.

EDIT: Oops, i see they're a sponsor here so they must be legit.
Has anyone dealt with gun shack?

wbm
10-11-2022, 02:22 PM
Yes.

Dave Hoback
10-11-2022, 03:13 PM
Yes, many times. Here is another option. Better ejector, and the larger bearing ball for the extractor.

https://www.kinneysshootingsupply.com/product-p/ss-2401.htm

charlie b
10-11-2022, 07:42 PM
And I'd consider this a feature! I remove the ejectors from my bolt guns. I'll look and see if I still have one.

Did you try Numrich?

PhilC
10-12-2022, 09:57 AM
And I'd consider this a feature! I remove the ejectors from my bolt guns.
I do too, as a bench shooter I don't like flinging brass I've spent time making just right.

charlie b
10-12-2022, 05:47 PM
Yes, I still have a 'spare' ejector, spring and retaining pin. Not the extractor though. If you want one send me a PM.

Robinhood
10-12-2022, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the help. Looks like we're going to be looking for a bolt head and parts. Midway has the bolt head, but no parts. I found a couple sites that have the bolt head kits, but I've never dealt with them before. I tried calling sharp shooting supplies, but they aren't taking phone calls and time is becoming critical.

EDIT: Oops, i see they're a sponsor here so they must be legit.
Has anyone dealt with gun shack?

this should have worked...

2 - Apply Kroil or another penetrating or light oil and allow it to sit somewhere from 8 to 24 hours. Then press on the ejector with a pin punch repeatedly to loosen it up enough to where it pops out or rises enough for you to pull it out with needle nose pliers or a small pick.

A ultrasonic cleaner could help also.

Why are you looking for a new bolthead? Did you do something that ruined it?

I am betting your friend is blowing primers also and he needs to find out why.