PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Issue - different from other 110 bolts

Pages : [1] 2

yellowhammer_al
10-07-2022, 09:26 PM
I’m going to attach a photo but I’ve got 5 Savage rifles and 4 of them have identical bolt designs and 1 is different. Of course the one that is different is the one that is giving me problems. It will pick up a round and load it just fine and it will pull the round when I cycle the bolt but will not throw the round out of the action to cycle to next round, it stays in the extractor. Am I missing a part? I pulled one of my other bolts and tried it in the rifle and it extracted just fine but headspacing was a little tight so I would have to re-headspace the barrel. Anyway, here is the picture. It was previously mated to a 6.5 PRC that I rebarreled to 6.5 WSM.

yellowhammer_al
10-07-2022, 09:27 PM

Dave Hoback
10-07-2022, 09:43 PM
Thats a Controlled Round Feed bolt head. They don’t have ejectors in the bolt head. I’m not certain if the rifles with those Bolt Heads had a Fixed Ejector in the Action or not, as I’ve not had hands on one. But I’m guessing not, since you tried a standard 110 Bolt Head & it functioned correctly. I have a feeling that’s just how that style is. I think maybe it’s not meant to eject the rounds. But I could be wrong. Just not sure how it would without an Ejector.

Robinhood
10-07-2022, 09:58 PM
yellowhammer, What you have is an older WSM/RSAUM bolt head. It requires an action with the ejector slot machined into it and the ejector installed.
One part!

https://i.imgur.com/pjZTkTW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZaF7v2h.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qhRYWIt.jpg

Robinhood
10-07-2022, 10:01 PM
Looks like Dave beat me to it. I was collecting photos! Might be tough to find one. Hens Teeth! I'm not selling any either:)

Dave Hoback
10-07-2022, 10:40 PM
Yeah, I’ve seen the older ones with the Fixed Ejector. Just have never seen one of the WSM’s using it. But I guess they must have had it. Thing is, you swapped another bolt head, you said. So I don’t see how your rifle could have that Ejector. We’re other parts removed, do you know?

yellowhammer_al
10-07-2022, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I’ve seen the older ones with the Fixed Ejector. Just have never seen one of the WSM’s using it. But I guess they must have had it. Thing is, you swapped another bolt head, you said. So I don’t see how your rifle could have that Ejector. We’re other parts removed, do you know?

I’m going to have to take a look in the morning and see. Will post pictures in the morning with the action.

Dave Hoback
10-07-2022, 11:19 PM
Well, like Robin said, those Ejectors are about impossible to find. I think your best bet is buying a standard style Bolt Head with Ejector.

Robinhood
10-08-2022, 12:28 AM
Well, like Robin said, those Ejectors are about impossible to find. I think your best bet is buying a standard style Bolt Head with Ejector.If I remember correctly it was only the WSM's and the RSAUM's in the short action that had the CRF bolthead with the standing ejector. And you are correct. If you can't find an ejector or your action does not have the slot, get a standard length SA magnum bolt head from PT&G.I have another question. When it was mated to a 6.5 PRC did it eject?

yellowhammer_al
10-08-2022, 02:07 PM
If I remember correctly it was only the WSM's and the RSAUM's in the short action that had the CRF bolthead with the standing ejector. And you are correct. If you can't find an ejector or your action does not have the slot, get a standard length SA magnum bolt head from PT&G.I have another question. When it was mated to a 6.5 PRC did it eject?

I originally bought just the action and bolt together and put a factory Savage 6.5 PRC barrel I had on it while waiting for my 6.5 WSM barrel to come in. Once the WSM barrel came in, I stripped everything down and cerakoted my parts and re-assembled. I'm very meticulous and separate everything out into little baggies based on where the parts go so I didn't think I had missed anything in reassembly... I did notice that this rifle was different in that it had the standing ejector when I was putting my rifle basix trigger back in... I've dealt with a similar looking part on 700 actions but had never noticed one on a Savage... I didn't know it was an ejector, I thought it was for bolt retention.

Anyway, with the 6.5 PRC, it didn't throw the bullets the way my other action does but it would at least clear them to reload the next round. My WSM rounds are staying in the bolt head and not getting thrown aside. All my other bolts throw the spent cases about a foot or more to my right (right handed action)... with the 6.5 WSM cases, they are staying in the action making it necessary for me to fish them out by hand to load the next case. Possibly because of the size? Maybe I'm not pulling the bolt back far enough with enough force to let the standing ejector do its thing?

If I get a new magnum bolt with ejector in the bolt head, do I need to take out the standing ejector? Aside from re-headpsacing would anything else be necessary?

yellowhammer_al
10-08-2022, 02:16 PM
Thats a Controlled around Feed bolt head. They don’t have ejectors in the bolt head. I’m not certain if the rifles with those Bolt Heads had a Fixed Ejector in the Action or not, as I’ve not had hands on one. But I’m guessing not, since you tried a standard 110 Bolt Head & it functioned correctly. I have a feeling that’s just how that style is. I think maybe it’s not meant to eject the rounds. But I could be wrong. Just not sure how it would without an Ejector.

I will say that I really like how it feeds the rounds just not how it "ejects" my current WSM rounds. Didn't get a chance to post pictures this morning because I had to run out the door. I will get more pictures this evening and post of the receiver with the standing ejector. I'm 99% sure I reinstalled it because the week before I re-barreled a 700 action from the 60's for someone and remember thinking, "Hey this is just like that 700... weird??" Anyway, I'll get more pictures up this afternoon.

wbm
10-08-2022, 03:05 PM
Well, like Robin said, those Ejectors are about impossible to find. I think your best bet is buying a standard style Bolt Head with Ejector.

Think so too. Only one I have ever seen is the one I have in 300 WSM.

Dave Hoback
10-08-2022, 08:14 PM
I will say that I really like how it feeds the rounds just not how it "ejects" my current WSM rounds. Didn't get a chance to post pictures this morning because I had to run out the door. I will get more pictures this evening and post of the receiver with the standing ejector. I'm 99% sure I reinstalled it because the week before I re-barreled a 700 action from the 60's for someone and remember thinking, "Hey this is just like that 700... weird??" Anyway, I'll get more pictures up this afternoon.

You can clearly see it by pulling the bolt to full open. Robin posted a picture of how it should look. If you are unsure, take a picture just as he posted. We can tell immediately if it there.

Whynot
10-08-2022, 09:41 PM
I think you have some of your parts mixed up.... Remington 700's don't have one of those.... They have a bolt stop that is attached to the trigger mechanism and pushes up- but that's not the same. This is the ejector... the extractor grabs the case and holds it to the bolt face.... on most savages once the case clears the action then the spring loaded plunger pushes it. Yours will not eject until you pull it all the way to the rear and it hits the mechanical ejector (and not at all if you do not have the part in the above pic).... If you have the ejector then you control how far it throws the brass by how hard you run the bolt back. The mechanical ejector then can move out of the way as you run the bolt forward again to pick up the next case.

sharpshooter
10-08-2022, 10:35 PM
Technically, that is a "V" spring ejector, not a standing ejector. The standing ejector was used on the pre 1966 models. It was called a standing ejector because it stands straight up on the spring.
The CRF bolt heads were used on the stagger feed WSM and RSAUM. Using the CRF was the only way to keep the cartridges from popping out of the magazine. When the new magazines came out in 2006, the center feed versions used the push feed bolt heads with the plunger ejector.
The CRF bolt heads also used a slightly modified extractor that had the lower corner bobbed to a 45* angle.

Robinhood
10-09-2022, 02:32 AM
If the "V" ejector is installed and it doesn't protrude out from the bolt head face with the bolt all the way to the rear, there is a front baffle that was used on the push feed WSM bolts that might fix the issue. It is shorter on one side allowing the bolt to go back another 1/8th" or so. Don't know if that is the correct solution but it could help if your ejector has been modified.

Thanks for the info Fred.

yellowhammer_al
10-11-2022, 06:29 PM
If the "V" ejector is installed and it doesn't protrude out from the bolt head face with the bolt all the way to the rear, there is a front baffle that was used on the push feed WSM bolts that might fix the issue. It is shorter on one side allowing the bolt to go back another 1/8th" or so. Don't know if that is the correct solution but it could help if your ejector has been modified.

Thanks for the info Fred.

I know the Remington part serves a different purpose but when putting this action back together I didn’t realize this was a CRF bolt and I thought maybe the extractor served to retain the bolt somehow. I’m glad to know the difference now though. Here’s a picture of the ejector with the bolt pulled back all the way. As far as you can tell from the bad picture, does it look correct?

I’ve tested a few more rounds and even pulling all the way back with some force it doesn’t really throw the brass but I’m okay with that at this point. I’d rather keep the CRF than install a push feed bolt.

yellowhammer_al
10-11-2022, 06:30 PM
Here’s another picture for reference as well.

Dave Hoback
10-11-2022, 08:49 PM
YSS it! Your ejector is fully intact. But it’s not ejecting.. at all? Or does it eject sometimes? Have you tried different speeds? Pull the bolt slow, speed it up a bit & rack the bolt open with your full force. Have you tried this? I’m curious, because with this style ejector, case ejection is dependent on the speed you draw the bolt back.

Whynot
10-12-2022, 12:24 AM
Another possible cause could be your extractor is not securing the case enough to bring it back to the ejector as it should. I have had some issues with that- even though the extractor will remove the brass from the chamber it ends up dropping the case before the plunger can do its job- same thing could be true with yours. You could try the extractor fix (bigger steel ball) and see if that helps.