PDA

View Full Version : Feed problem from mag 17 HMR

8mm RUM
09-28-2022, 09:36 AM
https://i.ibb.co/KysDGVb/Josie-17hmr.jpg
I just got my GD a savage 17HMR package.
Nice little set up light and short easy for her to handle and it fits her well.
She is 13 now and is a great shooter, and shoots a lot.
She is not a Newbie when it comes to handling a bolt gun she has 3 other asst rifles.
We were out shooting yesterday for the first time.

https://i.ibb.co/b6hpW5M/jo-17-b.jpg

She sighted it in in 10 shots. The final three sight in shots where just under 1 inch at 150 yards.
Then she proceeded to use up the box of 50 shells at asst distance and target like clay pigeons and a 8" gong.

Most every thing was hit first shot so, she likes the way it shoots.

But here is the problem;
You have to wiggle the bolt up and down and back and forth and lightly tap the mag from the bottom to get the bullet to go in to the chamber. We are using the factor clip that came with the gun and a Savage replacement 10 shot clip. 90% of the 50 bullets did not work well. What's up?

Turkeytider
09-28-2022, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately probably the weakest part of Savage rifles as a whole is the magazine. There is no lack of reports ( complaints ) on the internet concerning the failure to chamber rounds in Savage 17 HMRs. That`s especially true of the top ( first ) round in the magazine. The primary issue is concerned with the angle of the rounds in the magazine. The nose of the round has to be slanted upward slightly to chamber. If it`s not, it will not lift into the chamber and will hit just below the opening to the chamber. I`ve had this problem myself with my Savage 17HMR.<br>
<br>
Try these for a possible remedy. I did these two things and have essentially eliminated the problem. Following reported fixes on the internet, I removed the bottom plate on my magazines, took out the magazine springs, and reversed them 180 degrees ( turned them upside down ) and reinstalled them. To remove the plate, just tap it with a flat head screwdriver to start it sliding out. The other thing that I do each time I load a magazine is to press down on the rear of the cartridge to better ensure that upward slant of the nose. I particularly do that with last ( top ) round loaded into the magazine. Whether it`s the spring reversal, the ensuring of the angle of the round, or a combination of both, I now have essentially eliminated the failure to load from the mags in my 17HMR. Another thing to try is to load the magazine with an open bolt. It seems like some mags just fit better and more securely with a firm insertion into an open bolt.
<br>
Hope these ideas help. Oh, and that`s nice shooting by the young lady!!

8mm RUM
09-29-2022, 11:03 AM
​Thanks I'll try the spring thing.

Turkeytider
09-29-2022, 12:28 PM
Hopefully one or more of these will solve the problem. However you get to it, that angle of the front part of the round is crucial.

8mm RUM
09-29-2022, 08:54 PM
OK thanks.
I opened the Lips a very slight bit.
I took the fallower out and sanded the back a small amount to make it slope more.
I ran both mags full, a dozen times and they all fed so much better, no mess ups, thanks for the input.
I'm sure she will like it better.

Turkeytider
09-29-2022, 09:10 PM
Great! Sounds like you got it. I was pretty frustrated with my 93R17 at first. Fighting the magazine took a lot of enjoyment out of shooting the gun. Now, I`m really enjoying it. The gun is very accurate, shooting an average of .5" POA vs. POI at 100 yards shooting at 1" target dots. Groups are averaging around 1MOA.