PDA

View Full Version : Fitting New Bolt To Receiver

Chris_in_Idaho
09-20-2022, 10:45 PM
I've got a flat back 110 in 270 that I'm toying with swapping to a magnum caliber. I have a brand new complete magnum bolt from Midway, and just out of curiosity I slid it into the 110 receiver. It made it about 2/3 the way forward and bound up. I didn't want to force anything so I pulled it back out. Is there some sort of fitting that usually has to take place with a new bolt?

sharpshooter
09-20-2022, 11:11 PM
Yes, just because the parts are modular doesn't mean they are interchangeable. There is a chance that the tolerance will stack up, and that is why the bolts are mated to a receiver at the factory. You'd be better off just changing the bolt head to the original bolt assembly.

Whynot
09-20-2022, 11:16 PM
If it went 2/3 of the way then it should go the rest..... just a guess- but I'll bet you didn't have the firing pin in the right spot. Get a washer or piece of brass and cock the firing pin-

Dave Hoback
09-21-2022, 06:53 AM
Meaning having the firing pin cocked. I’m wondering that myself. I agree. If it went 2/3 of the way with no problem, than either there is a burr, or the firing pin wasn’t cocked.

Unless you inserted just the bolt head. Than I’m betting there is a small burr or imperfection. The Savage Actions are not perfect diameter the entire length. And have some rough surfaces usually.

bsekf
09-21-2022, 10:11 AM
I bought a whole new bolt rather than changing bolt heads, not much difference in price. It slid right in and works fine. I was going from 308 to 223.

Chris_in_Idaho
09-21-2022, 07:42 PM
Thanks for all the insight! I tried it again while paying closer attention and saw the rear baffle was slightly rotated and hit the tang on the left side. Once it straightened out it cycles perfectly. Smoother in fact than my brand new 110 Storm...

Thanks for the help!

Dave Hoback
09-21-2022, 08:54 PM
Very nice. Glad all is well. Remember* Check & Double Check.. then… CHECK AGAIN!

Robinhood
09-22-2022, 09:18 PM
Thanks for all the insight! I tried it again while paying closer attention and saw the rear baffle was slightly rotated and hit the tang on the left side. Once it straightened out it cycles perfectly. Smoother in fact than my brand new 110 Storm...

Thanks for the help!

Many of us prefer the older actions as they are smoother.

Chris_in_Idaho
09-23-2022, 08:29 PM
Many of us prefer the older actions as they are smoother.

Was there a design change, or did there used to be better finish work, or is it just that the old ones are all broken in by now?

Robinhood
09-23-2022, 08:43 PM
Yes? LOL some of it may have been the bolt lug raceway. Broken in might be a part of it. As for design change only minor stuff.

Dave Hoback
09-24-2022, 11:09 AM
LOL! I like that… was thinking the same when I read the OP’s #9 post; the answer is “Yes”. LOL. I do believe it’s primarily break in. My model 10 Action is newer. But I’ve done everything I can to improve it. And for my efforts it’s pretty darn smooth with nice light & consistent bolt lift. (As far as Savages go, that is) I basically just sped up the normal wear-in that happens over time.

wbm
09-24-2022, 01:28 PM
or is it just that the old ones are all broken in by now?

My old 110 was always smooth.