PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Travel

Tentman
09-20-2022, 05:04 AM
Gidday Guys. I have a 224 Pairie Hunter now residing in an XRS chassis - freaking awesome!

Running MDT 8 round mags - well maybe running isnt the right word! I keep getting failures to feed - the bolt nose is not getting far enough rearward (unless babied) to get behind the rim so when you drive it forward it picks up the extraction groove and jambs.

Anyone else struck this issue?

Will I cause any problems if I grind a couple of thou off the leg on the bolt baffle to give me a wee bit more bolt travel??

Thanks

Revoliver
09-20-2022, 02:09 PM
Is the bolt catching on the magazine or just not picking up the next round? Have you tried sticking an empty magazine in and running the bolt while torquing the magazine in a couple different directions? No hiccups?

Stumpkiller
09-20-2022, 03:35 PM
I would focus on the magazine and stock alignment and not alter the bolt. Most feed issues are related to a magazine.

Not familiar with MDT, but they appear plastic with a plastic follower. Check both for casting burrs. And check for full lock-up in the stock.

Tentman
09-20-2022, 03:39 PM
Ooops - self inflicted doozy. At some stage when reassembling the bolt I got the spacer washer ahead of the baffle instead of behind it. Changed the order of things and away it went, feeding slicker than snot!

Dave Hoback
09-20-2022, 04:02 PM
Well GIDDAY to ya! Let’s throw another “Shrimp on the barbi!” I always think of that scene from Dumb & Dumber when I hear anything Australian, LOL!

Glad you got it figured out. Yes, Alway, always ALWAYS check & recheck everything before even thinking of a permanent modification. This goes DOUBLE for those who have figured out how to “tinker” and have taken things apart. Something as simple as that! Good this came up, because that washer can actually be installed either behind or in front of the Baffle. Many run it in front with no issues. But if this same issue offered in others rifles, CHECK the washer!

Thanks for sharing Tentman. Good diagnosis skills.

Whynot
09-20-2022, 11:12 PM
On the flip side.... it really wouldn't have been any issue if you had taken a little off of the bolt baffle. Unnecessary- but not a problem.

Robinhood
09-22-2022, 09:26 PM
On the flip side.... it really wouldn't have been any issue if you had taken a little off of the bolt baffle. Unnecessary- but not a problem.

I agree but would prefer to just get the short baffle if one could find it these days

wbm
09-23-2022, 09:36 AM
I agree but would prefer to just get the short baffle if one could find it these days

I actually have one of those.

efm77
09-24-2022, 09:10 AM
That's interesting it made enough difference in your bolt travel. Confession, I always switch the spring washer to be between the baffle and locking lugs on purpose. I do it so the grease I put on the back of the locking lugs doesn’t get wiped off by the baffle before hitting the lug recesses. It’s never given me a feeding problem, but I will keep an eye out for that now for sure.

Dave Hoback
09-24-2022, 11:26 AM
That's interesting it made enough difference in your bolt travel. Confession, I always switch the spring washer to be between the baffle and locking lugs on purpose. I do it so the grease I put on the back of the locking lugs doesn’t get wiped off by the baffle before hitting the lug recesses. It’s never given me a feeding problem, but I will keep an eye out for that now for sure.

Yes, that is what I was referring to. It’s a well known little trick to help keep grease from being wiped from the lugs. I’ve tried both ways & never have seen/felt any difference. Good it came up with yours though. Could happen to someone else easily.

Robinhood
09-24-2022, 06:24 PM
How does that work with the large radius. I thought you had to remove the radius to get that wave washer to stack .

Dave Hoback
09-24-2022, 09:20 PM
https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?177-Savage-Axis-Bolt-Dissembly-and-Assembly-Instructions/view/2

Look at Step 3.