PDA

View Full Version : Problem with rifle basics sav-2

HOBART F
09-16-2022, 06:07 PM
I bought a lightly used pre Accutrigger model 12BVSS. The trigger would accidentally fire at 2lbs pull. I replaced it with a SAV-2 adjusted to 1lb 4 oz OK for 80 rounds or so. Yesterday I heard just a very light click, I waited and re-cocked with same light click sound no primer strike. At this point it seemed the gun was not holding cocked position. I pulled the bolt not an apparent problem upon disassembly of the bolt. At home I tightened trigger pull to 1lb 8oz and have normal strike sound now. My question is The Basix SAV-2 claims ability to be adjusted well below a pound so should I be looking for another problem as in "Worn sear"? I see a lot of users saying SAV-2 is a POS and can't be set much below 2lbs. Anybody have similar experience and resolution of the problem?

Dave Hoback
09-16-2022, 06:38 PM
Doesn’t matter what most triggers “claim”. And it doesn’t matter that 100 other people may very well get the Rifle Basix triggers to perform as advertised. They rely on the stock Sear. The Sear provides 50% of the surfaces mated & releasing from one another in the trigger action.

Bottom Line: It’s gonna DO what it DO & BE what it BE! Welcome to Savage triggers!

If you are able, I’d recommend stoning the Sear to true flat surface & break the edge. This may or may not remedy.

Robinhood
09-17-2022, 11:25 AM
With a non accutrigger there is nothing that a different trigger can do to restrict the travel of the firing pin with the exception of too little over travel. If the trigger does not travel enough past sear release, there is a chance that the sear's travel can be restricted at some point on top of the trigger. This is a rare occurrence were the cocking piece pin cannot get past the sear tab that holds the cocking piece pin in the cocked position. Increasing overtravel is the only solution. (this is probably only possible with a certain trigger/hanger combination IICRC) So what was making your firing pin strike softly????

The trigger needs enough spring to push the trigger against the sear. With the incorrect spring preload non existent the trigger cannot catch the sear safely. One must insure that you have the proper spring for a certain pull weight but also insure that you have the spring loaded into the trigger to maintain a safe and reliable functioning of the trigger/sear relationship. The Savage trigger was not designed to be a low pull weight trigger.

Be safe Hobart.

RCE1
09-17-2022, 01:25 PM
I installed a SAV-2 on one of my rifles and found it a little difficult to get a good balance of sear engagement and pull weight. Eventually, I gave them a call and they talked me through it. Very helpful. Since a few conversations with Mr. Hobak, I've decided I'm ok with the Accutrigger after some adjustment.

HOBART F
09-17-2022, 06:18 PM
What caused the light strike sound with no pin strike actually occurring twice in a row remains unsettling to me. I don't think it was my imagination.

Robinhood
09-17-2022, 09:14 PM
I bet. I would take it out of the stock and see if it will reproduce the malfunction. The only thing it can be, if the firing pin moves freely in the bolt, is the trigger being restricted and not allowing the sears firing pin release tab to move out of the cocking piece pins way. Really strange to me. It has been a long time since I have looked at a SAVII with settings or troubleshooting in mind. Just a thought and assuming it is a top release, if you push the bolt release down, does it move freely or does it seem rough or snag? Good luck again Hobart.

Dave Hoback
09-18-2022, 06:45 PM
When exactly are you hearing the “Click”? I took your statement being that it’s tripping when you rack the bolt. It sounded to me like the you’d hear the click & the trigger would be dead. Meaning it tripped on racking the bolt? You said “doesn’t seem like it’s holding cocked position.” Is this what is happening?