PDA

View Full Version : 7wsm in a 110

mdavies
11-30-2010, 03:39 PM
I've been lurking around for a while and would like to say "Hi" and thanks for such a valuable resource. I have a 110 accutriger in 7mag that I purchased with the intention of going to a 7wsm so that I can load vld's to the lands and still feed from the mag. My intentions are to use an aftermarket stock from XLR Industries with the detachable AI mag. First question is which mag do I need to go with for the 7wsm. The second question is will I still be able to use factory ammo with a shorter OAL. I put a 7wsm cartridge in my rifle to see if the 7mag feed lips would accept it and they would. However when I slowly cycled the bolt, once the cartridge cleared the feed lips, it popped out of the gun. If I had a 7wsm barrel and could cycle the bolt a little faster this may not happen but I'm not sure. I don't want to build a rifle that is specific to just the longer bullets. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

tammons
11-30-2010, 05:35 PM
I think a 7mm WM mag should work but you may have to work the lips a bit.

Also if handloads and the bullet is hanging out close to LA length it should not pop out.
Maybe a centerfeed mag would feed better ?

You should be able to shoot factory cartridges.
If you have the barrel throated you may have a bit
of pressure drop with a long jump.

geargrinder
11-30-2010, 11:19 PM
If you go with the XLR stock your only option would be the 300win AI mag. It should feed very well since it is a centerfeed magazine.

Yes, you can fire factory ammo. You'll just have a jump to the lands.

mdavies
12-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the helpfull advice. One question though, you say with factory ammo I would have a jump to the lands. I was under the impression that vld bullets were seated further out to touch the rifling in factory tubes because of their long tapered profile. if this isn't the case then do I need a barrel with more freebore to accomodate the vld's?

geargrinder
12-01-2010, 02:16 AM
Well- yes, no, it depends.

I was assuming that you're going to be shooting heavy 180g VLD's or maybe 200g RBBT's. These big boys have a longer bearing surface than your normal factory ammo bullets.

If you have your throat set for those heavy's, you'll have a jump with factory ammo.

tammons
12-01-2010, 11:46 AM
If you are going to run a long COL with a long bullet you probably want more freebore.

Basically just send whoever is making your barrel a couple of rounds loaded like you want like say 180 gr bergers loaded at 3.15" or whatever with instructions say jammed .015 etc, and they can set the freeore correctly.

You could just have a barrel made with a Sami chamber and if you need more freebore have it reamed for more freebore later.

According to quickload a 180 gr berger loaded at 3.15" COL would have a seating depth of about .25"

Thanks for the helpfull advice. One question though, you say with factory ammo I would have a jump to the lands. I was under the impression that vld bullets were seated further out to touch the rifling in factory tubes because of their long tapered profile. if this isn't the case then do I need a barrel with more freebore to accomodate the vld's?

mdavies
12-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks again. Great site!