PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Bought my first MK II F.....

benji397
09-05-2022, 11:04 AM
Hi All, new member here. I bought a MK II last week mainly because I wanted an affordable bolt action small game rifle. I already have a Stevens 62F which has performed absolutely flawlessly since I've had it. The Stevens 62 never jams or FTF or FTE (although I only have used CCI ammo) so I thought the MK II would be just as reliable....nope.
Firstly, I found I needed to do a little work just to get it to chamber a round from the magazine. I called Savage the 2nd day I owned it and they are sending me a new magazine, but I don't think I really need it now. For the chambering issue, it will chamber and extract and eject 99% of CCI 36gr Mini Mags....I can certainly live with that. If I load CCI SV in the magazine, it will chamber every round but fail to extract probably 3 or 4 out of 5 which I can't live with. I've read all the fixes, theories and tips from other forums and have learned a lot about this rifle so far. I really like it and want it to work for me.
I'm going to call Savage again when they open Tuesday and order a new extractor and extractor spring clip. Will they sell me those parts? I don't want to tell them I have already "tweaked things" with a file and honing stone.
Anyway, after having such success with the Stevens 62F I am very disappointed to read that these problems with the MK II have been going on for years and apparently un-addressed by Savage.

I just wanted to say "hey" and let you all know what I'm working on.

Don G
09-30-2022, 07:30 PM
Ben: This problem has been discussed many times on this forum and others. It's not the rifle - it's the ammo. The wax they apply is causing the problem. The bore is very tight and couple that with the fact the casing expands after firing and the residue on the casing causes it to stick. There is nothing wrong with your extractor or the spring clip. Try this experiment. Clean about 10 shells with any type of bore cleaner and test fire. I'll bet none will stick and all will extract.

bootsmcguire
10-06-2022, 11:34 PM
Different ammo can make all the difference, my Mark II FVSR prefers Remington Golden ammo for it to extract properly, however it is most accurate with Remington SubSonics. I think Don G has a great point with the wax coating. The goldens I have used seem to have very little where the Subsonics have more. However in my case mine always feeds both great, just won't extract a live Subsonic but always extracts fired cases. For me I just don't chamber one unless I am fairly certain I will fire it. YMMV but I would try a few different ammos and try Don's suggestion and see your results before tearing into her too far.

Fasteddie01
10-12-2022, 06:13 PM
Benji - I don't have a MK2 so Don may have the answer yoyu're looking for. I've read about probs with the MKs and some solutions run from 'sharpening' the extractor hook or adding a spring clip or bending the clip tighter - as well as removing the CCI wax/lube as Don said. Also, you might want to 'polish' your chamber; I run a brass brush (ALL BRASS incl the core) on a drill inside the Chamber ONLY about every 500 rounds or so. I also use Boretech C4 Carbon solvent to assure the chamber is very clean; it helps to 'soak' with a damp patch for a half-hour or more with the C4, then clean with a nylon brush. If you have a borescope OR can borrow one it may give you more answers, too.
Also, I've seen threads on this and other forums about "re-lubing" difficult ammo, using anything from 'Prep-H' to 'Trader Joe's Coconut cooking oil" (really - just a sorta recent thread on a diff forum). Look on RFC for comments by JAIA or Justin Amateur for his opinion on lubes ;-)
I have 2x -Sav-64s, a B22 and an A22 (plus a few other makes)and none of them have trouble with any CCI ammo - or with any other ammo in light of extraction/ejection. Sometimes I drop my SK ammo 'cause it's so greasy, but it still shoots really well.
And I agree that the RemGoldens have little lube, the 'gold' is supposed to 'do the job' per Rem.
Anyway, good luck with your prob,
Ed

Fasteddie01
10-12-2022, 07:22 PM
Hi again, When something gets on my mind, I don't quit. Found the Trader Joe thread - it's spray Coconut oil - You can always use it for food if it doesn't help your shooting ;-)
Ed
http s://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/increasing-22-ammo-accuracy-on-a-budget-pnw-hillbilly-hack-anyone-up-for-a-challenge.7114152/

Don G
10-15-2022, 04:37 PM
Different ammo can make all the difference, my Mark II FVSR prefers Remington Golden ammo for it to extract properly, however it is most accurate with Remington SubSonics. I think Don G has a great point with the wax coating. The goldens I have used seem to have very little where the Subsonics have more. However in my case mine always feeds both great, just won't extract a live Subsonic but always extracts fired cases. For me I just don't chamber one unless I am fairly certain I will fire it. YMMV but I would try a few different ammos and try Don's suggestion and see your results before tearing into her too far.

The problem I find personally with some of the folks who present a question, which is answered, but we never hear from them again. Especially, with a common problem, I'd like to know what the shooter discovered because it might be something we never thought of.

I shoot from 35 yards to 125 yards and have found that CCI standard velocity works best for me - even with the wax which I eliminate. Yesterday I shot 75 rounds ARA Factory Class (50 yards) with ZERO problems. I'm getting to hate that event - you have to be dead on with each target (25 per page). I'm long in the tooth and it's really hard for me to hold my concentration through 25 targets. I start out OK. Yesterday I was about 2 clicks too high when I zeroed but didn't want to take the time to adjust and instead used Kentucky windage - big mistake and a waste of ammo.

Fasteddie01
10-17-2022, 07:08 PM
Hi Don, You're right about the 'Vanishing Newbie' who never follows up on their threads. I'm getting to the point where I'll only put brief suggestions to solutions. In both this thread and the one about 'inserting mags' I gave thoughtful replies with suggestions on the issue. Crickets . . .
I've found this on many forums, so nothing special about SS. On the other hand, Canadiangunnutz .com has a lot of folks that have 'twitchy fingers' and verbal diarrhia. Almost too much but at least you're not ignored, and there often is a lot of useful info. I guess when you're up in "The Great White North" one wants to talk more ??
Hope you're doing well down there. We just missed the Hurricane Fiona here, it damaged a lot of fishing villages nearby as well as on PEI and Newfoundland. Only a few trees down in town here.
TTYL
Ed