PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon no longer delivering IMR Enduron Powders???

Pages : 1 [2]

Dave Hoback
10-13-2022, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the info Darkker. When you said hodgy my mind went to Hodji. Strickly useless information on my part, so for a grin factor, Johnny Quest's Hodji

Disclaimer. It was another time. No insults or racial connotations intended.

LOL! We know you meant no harm Robin… Sure, I mean, in the 80’s, “retard”, “fag” & “oriental” were all common enough words. All three were in PG movies regularly! But not anymore! I’m pretty sure “Haji” is on the Left’s list of No-No, Trigger words that send Snowflakes running for their Safe-Spaces, LOL!

wbm
10-14-2022, 01:33 PM
Trigger words that send Snowflakes running for their Safe-Spaces, LOL!

Like "he, she, him, her"

darkker
10-16-2022, 12:41 AM
I was thinking more in terms like how much trouble it is to stock all the different powders and making many small batch runs of certain 'blends' rather than one big one. Hodgdon's costs will be mainly in the blending process and packaging/stocking/shipping. Reducing the number of products, especially when there is so much overlap and almost identical products, would seem to be a big savings to the company.

That doesn't even count whatever streamlining they could do on the supplier side.

There really aren't as many differences/products as you may think. Most of the "differences" most people think exist, are due to the marketing surrounding the product.
Remember when the world got all excited about "new" copper cleaning tech in gunpowder? It's the same copper cleaner as is in 748, 760; but never got advertised as being magical. Grab your copy of Hatcher's Notebook, and read how that "American military technology" came from the French in the 1800's looking to reduce fouling.😆

If you start really digging in with a Pressure Trace, your mind will begin to spin at how little; a great many things don't really differ. Burning rates that so many think are a linear thing found in a book, are all estimated variations of the Crawford Method. But since we know that volume changes burning rates, and no one except for Norma (that I'm aware of) has ever stated their standard cartridge...
I'm pretty sure I've posted a few traces of progressive powder/cartridge combos. Some of those powders fall on a traditional chart as being absurdly slow. When they are not, and they change speed tremendously anyway as the volume moves.

And, frankly, fracturing the market with the same powder in various dresses; is absolutely in Hodgdon's best interest.

Cheers

charlie b
10-16-2022, 04:30 PM
Yeah, the similar pressure traces is why I am surprised they don't reduce the number of products in their line. Even if you looked just at the old Hercules line there was enough 'overlap' to make your head spin.

I guess I don't understand how fracturing the market makes good sense.

FWIW, they are still getting some raw powder in. Just got some IMR4198 today.

darkker
10-26-2022, 10:11 AM
I guess I don't understand how fracturing the market makes good sense.

Of course you do.
Most people are rather lazy with many things, and don't read anything longer than a standard political tweet. and they expect everyone else to do their work for them. Think of how many ask for someone else to tell them which load will be ulta-tactical in THEIR rifle...

Hodgdon knows this, and market fracturing leverages their own mentality against them.
"I like brand X, cause that's what pappy dun said I should use", being a common thing.

So Hodgdon "offers" powders in a burn range that a particular brand didn't have previously, which is (wink, wink)similar to something else.
Now that brand-huex is happy, because he has a "new" powder. Hodgdon is happy because they are actually just buying 1 powder, and putting up to three different labels on the same product.
But of course, one might require a little premium from time to time.... Let's then know the veracity of the brand following.

Cheers

charlie b
10-27-2022, 08:33 AM
Yeah, I get the brand loyalty thing and all that. And Hodgdon still has a couple competitors. I guess they figure if they drop something like 296 people will go to something other than 110.

Reminds me of the discussions about new cartridges. People with go out and buy a new rifle each time a new whiz bang cartridge becomes available. Cause we 'know' the 6.5CM is so superior to any other 6.5 that's been out there a while. And next year they buy a PRC cause it is so much better than the CM. Then Hodgdon can come out with a CM or PRC line of powders like they did with the CFE.

Good advertising does sell stuff.

PS looks like powder is starting to come back a bit. The local Sportsmans now has quite a bit on the shelf. Including non-Hodgdon brands.

Ernest T
11-24-2022, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I get the brand loyalty thing and all that. And Hodgdon still has a couple competitors. I guess they figure if they drop something like 296 people will go to something other than 110.

Reminds me of the discussions about new cartridges. People with go out and buy a new rifle each time a new whiz bang cartridge becomes available. Cause we 'know' the 6.5CM is so superior to any other 6.5 that's been out there a while. And next year they buy a PRC cause it is so much better than the CM. Then Hodgdon can come out with a CM or PRC line of powders like they did with the CFE.

Good advertising does sell stuff.

PS looks like powder is starting to come back a bit. The local Sportsmans now has quite a bit on the shelf. Including non-Hodgdon brands.

Any Alliant powders? It looks like that brand has completely disappeared from the shelves.

charlie b
11-25-2022, 09:39 AM
Yes. I don't remember all of them but Red Dot, Green Dot and a few others. No Unique, 2400 or RL16.