PDA

View Full Version : Replacing / modifying spiral bolt

Curtism1234
08-21-2022, 08:33 PM
I have the lightweight hunter with the spiral bolt. As many know, the bolt is a lot to be desired. Mine is exceptionally terrible to cycle, I only trust it to be a single shot.

So what is the main sticking point (pun intended) on this bolt - is it the bolt sleeve or the bolt head?

I am considering 3 things
1. Buy an entire new/used jeweled assembly
2. Buy a jeweled bolt sleeve
3. Buy a factory standard bolt head
4. Buy 2 and 3

I see a member here is selling a 223 assembly. Would I just need a complete 308 bolt head?

Obvouisly have the head space checked no matter what.

Any advice?

Thanks

Dave Hoback
08-21-2022, 09:38 PM
There are many lightweight hunters out there. I’ve seen a couple with problems. But then I’ve seen a few with reported better cycling than any other Savage 110. What exactly is happening, & under what circumstances? I ask because I think you may be jumping the gun thinking to replace the bolt components.

BTW: the Bolt Head is the same exact part used on every other Savage of its Action & Cartridge size. The Bolt Sleeve is the only difference in the Bolt Assemblies.

Curtism1234
08-21-2022, 09:48 PM
There are many lightweight hunters out there. I’ve seen a couple with problems. But then I’ve seen a few with reported better cycling than any other Savage 110. What exactly is happening, & under what circumstances? I ask because I think you may be jumping the gun thinking to replace the bolt components.

BTW: the Bolt Head is the same exact part used on every other Savage of its Action & Cartridge size. The Bolt Sleeve is the only difference in the Bolt Assemblies.

Very very stiff when the bolt slides forwards or backwards, often getting stuck (even when cycling quickly to the point it jars your hand). Often it results in not throwing the old shell out and it jams. I have tried with a number of different magazines and no magazines.

Are you of the opinion there could be a factory defect with either the bolt or the inside of the receiver?

Dave Hoback
08-21-2022, 10:07 PM
With Savage? No way! I mean, completely unheard of for Savage to have a factory defect! :p Ok, actually Savage QC ain’t all that great.
Is this a new rifle? If not, how old and how many rounds to you have through it? What cartridge?

Definitely you have a problem. But the bolt & sleeve, aside from any obvious defects, damage, etc., would not be my first suspect.

Curtism1234
08-21-2022, 10:19 PM
With Savage? No way! I mean, completely unheard of for Savage to have a factory defect! :p Ok, actually Savage QC ain’t all that great.
Is this a new rifle? If not, how old and how many rounds to you have through it? What cartridge?

Definitely you have a problem. But the bolt & sleeve, aside from any obvious defects, damage, etc., would not be my first suspect.

308. This is a new rifle that I identified as being super stiff and have cycled the bolt hundreds of times thinking it would smooth out to the standard Savage slop. But it has certainly not. I have never experienced this with any of the 4 other savages I have (2 being pre-accu and 2 accu with jeweled bolt)

Dave Hoback
08-22-2022, 12:19 AM
Being it’s new, and sounds like what you are describing is above & beyond normal break in, just contact Savage to arrange sending it back for warranty repair.

wbm
08-22-2022, 06:17 PM
Make sure the front action screw is not protruding too far.

Whynot
08-24-2022, 12:40 PM
Any of your other rifles use the same bolt? If so just try one of them in your gun and the other bolt in the other action and see what the problem is (without firing because as you mentioned the headspace could be different).

Do you have any galling on the inside walls of the action?

A very well known company will no longer flute savage bolt bodies because they said they were seeing issues with flex and binding because there was not enough material to get a good flute depth and still have rigidity.

Robinhood
08-24-2022, 05:06 PM
I have the lightweight hunter with the spiral bolt. As many know, the bolt is a lot to be desired. Mine is exceptionally terrible to cycle, I only trust it to be a single shot.

So what is the main sticking point (pun intended) on this bolt - is it the bolt sleeve or the bolt head?

I am considering 3 things
1. Buy an entire new/used jeweled assembly
2. Buy a jeweled bolt sleeve
3. Buy a factory standard bolt head
4. Buy 2 and 3

I see a member here is selling a 223 assembly. Would I just need a complete 308 bolt head?

Obvouisly have the head space checked no matter what.

Any advice?

Thanks
If you get a new/different bolt body all you need to do is swap the old bolt head on to the new bolt assembly, Check the protrusion and go. If you use the original bolt head the headspace is already set.

Curtism1234
09-01-2022, 06:18 PM
Thanks all. I bought a jeweled savage factory bolt body and now it is butter smooth. Spiral was def my problem, whether by design flaw or defect

Dave Hoback
09-01-2022, 11:05 PM
Good news! Always nice to get a problem remedied… and painlessly to boot!

Steeltrap
09-02-2022, 06:55 AM
Interesting solution and I'm glad it worked out for you. Can or did you examine the "bad" bolt for signs of unusual wear? You know....spots where it was worn or shiny due to improper contact with the receiver?

Curtism1234
09-02-2022, 07:14 PM
I do not see any unusual wear