PDA

View Full Version : Small Port actions

Tentman
08-13-2022, 05:12 AM
Gidday Folks (from down in New Zealand).

Ive just secured the opportunity to buy a rifle at a very reasonable price . .. with an action that isnt common down here.

Its a short action small port repeater, currently being sold as a "Prairie Hunter 224 Valkyrie" I already have Valkyrie ammo but long term would use this action for a PRS style build on a AICS magazines (probably in one of the Creedmoors as long as I can get a 473 bolthead here).

Are there any problems I might encounter with the small port action?

Thanks

Dave Hoback
08-13-2022, 01:25 PM
Hmm, really? I’ve read the small port Actions (2.6” over 3.04”), were only found in the 2006 LRPV models. But the 224 Valkyrie was introduced in 2018. In any case, I believe all the Small Port rifles were for 223, or equivalent length cartridges. So I’m gonna say trying to make it a Creedmoor might be problematic. Though I’ve never tried it myself.

Robinhood
08-14-2022, 11:51 AM
Tentman. As long as we are talking the 10/110 action and not the model 25 or the Axis.....These repeater target actions are becoming more common in the Savage line up lately. The Magpul Hunter, Precision, Elite precision, Timberline and Long Range Precision. They are basically the target action with a feed port on the bottom. They are all the 4.4" screw spacing and large shank barrel tenon if I remember correctly.

The problem you will confront using a Savage in competition is reliable feeding under stress. I think there are things that can be done to mitigate some of that but it takes effort. By that I mean tuning the feeding, extraction and ejection if needed for certain cartridges. If the bolt hangs up when loading push the bolt to the opposite side as the handle while loading a round. It is not a bad starting place but if you get serious you may want to upgrade. Good luck.

Tentman
08-16-2022, 01:41 AM
Thanks to all for the replies. The rifle arrived and followed me home, it runs nicely, much better than some of the previous 110s I've had.

It is a short action, small shank, with a minimal port, serial # is prefixed N so a 2018/2019 manufacture. It is "coated" and Im yet to establish if its cro-moly or stainless. Calibre is 224 Valkyrie, clip fed.

Cheers

Dave Hoback
08-16-2022, 10:32 AM
I like these Actions. If I had my choice, it’d be this in Stainless, like that used in the 110 Precision Elite. Port Action, Large Shank & Stainless, but can accept AICS mags. Found a place that sells these Actions. May get one if they are ever in stock again.

Look forward to seeing pics of yours Tentman.

Dave Hoback
08-16-2022, 10:48 AM
Gonna say it’s alloy. The only Stainless port Action with mag inlet I know of is the Elite Precision, but it’s also Large Shank. But then, Savage has done some “one off” kinda things through the years, so who knows. If the Action is not Nitride treated or Cerakote, it’s Alloy steel.

sharpshooter
08-16-2022, 04:33 PM
If it's stainless, it will have a groove under the tang.
g

Robinhood
08-18-2022, 12:18 AM
If it's stainless, it will have a groove under the tang.

Ahhhhhh. :)

Tentman
08-18-2022, 10:22 PM
No groove so it must be Cro-moly. After much looking on the intereweb its the same action that is pictured on Cabelas and Davidsons sites in the MDT Hunter stock.