View Full Version : Lapping lugs?

750k2
11-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Do any of you lap your lugs?
If so what procedure do you use?
I have jewelers rouge and 1200 grit paste
and would think just working the action with a
little on the lug face would work.
If the receiver is harder than the lugs correct ???

82boy
11-30-2010, 06:10 PM
It is a waste of time on a Savage. The Savage bolt head is designed to float to make contact.

dcloco
11-30-2010, 09:37 PM
I lap mine.

Cut a chunck of solid round, threaded each end for different sizes of actions, drilled a hole in each end for a 3/8" diameter spring, insert a 3/8" ball bearing, and I use FLITZ or gritty toothpaste (or mixed).

Regardless if the bolt floats or not, when the brass is expanding and being pushed back, a flat surface, or at least a repeatable surface, would be better than crooked.

bigedp51
11-30-2010, 10:13 PM
I lap mine.

Cut a chunck of solid round, threaded each end for different sizes of actions, drilled a hole in each end for a 3/8" diameter spring, insert a 3/8" ball bearing, and I use FLITZ or gritty toothpaste (or mixed).

Regardless if the bolt floats or not, when the brass is expanding and being pushed back, a flat surface, or at least a repeatable surface, would be better than crooked.

What makes you think that lapping the lugs trues up the bolt face, and how do you know the bolt face wasn't true before you lap the lugs.

And traditionally you lap the lugs before the barrel is in stalled that way the headspace doesn't increase for no good reason. ;)