PDA

View Full Version : 260 rem and superformance

pighunter284
08-03-2022, 02:05 PM
anyone use superformance in there 260 remington. likes or dislikes. im using 140gr barnes matchburners. thanks

Robinhood
08-04-2022, 11:32 PM
I think that stuff runs close to 4831 SC. I have no experience but some guys with long barrels like the 4831sc. Sorry I didn't have more to offer.

pighunter284
08-05-2022, 12:15 AM
no worries thats better than nothing LOL. i appreciate it

Whynot
08-07-2022, 12:48 AM
I messed around with Superformance once- but nothing lately. Never purchased anymore after that pound was used up. If you have access to other stuff then wouldn't bother with it.... but if it's between using it or not shooting then it would be worth trying to find a load. You probably know this... but it is not the same powder that the Hornady Superformance ammo is loaded with- and I never got any great velocities (in a 6mm Rem). In 260 I'm using H4350 with the barnes 140, good velocity and accuracy- but if you don't already have it then it could be a big wait.

Dave Hoback
08-17-2022, 10:24 AM
Don’t use it myself I my 260 loads. I’m still a big fan of the RL17 even with it’s Temp. quirks. But you might want to take a gander at this video, if you haven’t already. Sure, it’s 6.5 CM, not 260…but I’d say the characteristics are a good tell of what you may expect.

It’s just not impressive at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lJiUjUTC4k

pighunter284
08-21-2022, 12:40 PM
well i finally got to chrono this load. 1 grain shy of barnes suggestion and i was at 2809 with a SD of 14. it was 3/4" MOA and walked out to 1000 yds no issues. theres still room to play so i dont see an issue with hitting 2850fps.

Ernest T
08-21-2022, 11:25 PM
The Hornady manual lists pretty high velocities for Superformance and 6.5 CM with Hornady ELD 140s, up to 2800 FPS. I'm surprised to hear its not an impressive powder. I was going to buy some for use when I can't get others.

pighunter284
08-22-2022, 10:17 AM
not overly impressive lol. it was on sale at natchez and all that i could find at one point so i bought a big one. im happy with where I've started and the accuracy was on par. need to play some more and get the SD down, but it was 90 degrees when shooting

Whynot
08-23-2022, 01:33 PM
. it was on sale at natchez and all that i could find at one point so i bought a big one.

That would tell you how it is working for most people.... the fact that they had it and it was on sale. But if it is working for you then it really doesn't matter what others think. It started out as a niche powder that was expressly stated to use for only a few cartridges based on not only capacity but the case design because it showed some unusual results where you wouldn't expect them. It is now being recommended for many more cases.... so not sure if they tweaked the formula or what changed.

I never got accuracy- consistency- and velocity so gave up on it.... but nothing says that will be anyone else's results.

darkker
09-05-2022, 10:56 PM
The Superformance powder that we can buy, is an extremely progressive burning powder, when in the correct application.
I'll attach a copy of a Pressure Trace recording at the end, but for simplicity for those who don't really get into understanding powder; think of it like this:

A "classic" powder, spikes up in pressure at ignition then almost as quickly drops off as the bullet races down the barrel. Think of a heartbeat trace on an EKG. A powder that's "progressive", begins the same but then plateaus and holds a level of pressure for longer; before it drops off. It's "progressive" in that it's burning rate dramatically increases and can effectively hold pressure, as the volume increases from the bullet traveling. The peak pressure something operates at isn't particularly important for top velocity, it's the total area under the pressure curve. Which can also be stated as the amount of time a pressure is maintained, to continually push the bullet. At least in the 30-06 and Creedmoor, Superformance is really quite amazing at this task. The catch is, that unless you are actually recording the burning curves to be able to see what's happening, you probably won't enjoy it.
The progressivity changes with average system pressures, and can become less progressive with increased total pressure. So the velocity increases with pressure, won't seem linear to you.
I've traced enough Creedmoor loads to see some neat things. I can drop peak pressure by 15,000 psi, but only drop velocities by about 50 fps.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4tYiQucnTvyxrSi46