PDA

View Full Version : Failure to fire

DeadWoodDan
07-25-2022, 09:26 PM
I purchased a used savage precision target action a few years ago 6 mm BR. I didn't have any issues with it recently converted to a smokeless muzzle loader. I started to receive failure to fire and have not been able to conclude why. I thought it was the acutrigger. I changed to a Jarred trigger system And saw some improvement. It seems as though when I close the bolt the firing pin is not or was not engaged. Any idea how to get consistency

Dave Hoback
07-25-2022, 11:45 PM
Explain exactly what it is doing.. are you getting firing pin actuation, i.e., you hear/feel the firing pin upon pulling the trigger? Or is it just a dead trigger? Pull the trigger. & there is nothing?

DeadWoodDan
07-26-2022, 09:40 AM
Explain exactly what it is doing.. are you getting firing pin actuation, i.e., you hear/feel the firing pin upon pulling the trigger? Or is it just a dead trigger? Pull the trigger. & there is nothing?

I don't believe I'm getting firing pin actuation. I pull the trigger and nothing. I've inspected the primer module and no signs of primer strike

Dave Hoback
07-26-2022, 10:57 AM
Ok, try adjusting the trigger HEAVIER to start. It sounds like your trigger is set too light, so it’s tripping the Sear as you rack the bolt, allowing the pin to “fall” as the bolt is closed. This generally will not leave a primer strike. (Sometimes it will, and can actually result in a slam fire. But not typically.)