PDA

View Full Version : Hello

gstewart
07-24-2022, 05:21 PM
New to the site and thought i would post a question to see if there are any comments. i bought a EA Brown barrel for my Model 10 Ashbury. They sent me a barrel but it didn't fit the threads. Mine is the 1 1/8-20 and got the 1 1/16-20. Sent it back to them. Looked at some post on the company and needless to say, the reviews were not so good. My question is has anyone had a good experience with a barrel from Brown. Not sure who they use to make their barrels. Could be in-house or possibly a Shaw. They will not comment on that one. they say they are made in-house but have my doubts.

I am now believing that i need to go directly back to Savage and order a barrel from them???

yellowhammer_al
07-24-2022, 05:33 PM
New to the site and thought i would post a question to see if there are any comments. i bought a EA Brown barrel for my Model 10 Ashbury. They sent me a barrel but it didn't fit the threads. Mine is the 1 1/8-20 and got the 1 1/16-20. Sent it back to them. Looked at some post on the company and needless to say, the reviews were not so good. My question is has anyone had a good experience with a barrel from Brown. Not sure who they use to make their barrels. Could be in-house or possibly a Shaw. They will not comment on that one. they say they are made in-house but have my doubts.

I am now believing that i need to go directly back to Savage and order a barrel from them???

I rebarreled a 260 Remington with a EA Brown barrel because the one they sell is VC and has a 1:8 twist vs. the factory Savage 1:9 twist. For the money, I consider it to be a great barrel. No problems at all with the barrel swap. I swapped it into a Savage 11 small shank in about 30 minutes. I shoot about 3" groups at 600 yards with it and match ammo. My only complaint is I wish it was cerakoted instead of blued. I didn't think EA Brown made large shank barrels, though, which is what you are describing. Small shank is 1.055"-20 and large shank would be 1-1/16"-20.

Pretty sure their barrels are at least chambered in house... they may get blanks from Shaw or someone else but Shaw makes their .260 in 1:9 and Brown is 1:8 so I think they make their barrels completely in house.

Phreddie30.06
07-24-2022, 07:45 PM
Welcome from colorful Colorado

I owe it all to my dad.

yellowhammer_al
07-24-2022, 07:57 PM

Just another thought, you might want to check out eBay. There are a couple of sellers that regularly post factory new barrels pulled from actions used for custom builds… just make sure you look for whether they are large shank or small shank. If you are wanting factory contour at an affordable price, that’s your best bet. If you want something full custom you can look at Shilen, McGowen, X-Caliber, etc. There’s plenty of custom barrel makers if you’re willing to wait 12-20 weeks…

Robinhood
07-24-2022, 08:12 PM
Go to NSS and don't look back.

Ernest T
07-24-2022, 10:00 PM
Can't help you with the barrel question, but welcome to the site.

Blue Avenger
07-25-2022, 07:59 AM
They make there own barrels. First ones were not very good. For a while they were ok. They were making contender barrels and for there own handgun design. Not really heard much lately. Maybe a new hire, worn button or hangover changed things.

Dave Hoback
07-25-2022, 12:53 PM
Welcome to Savage central!:redface-new:

ragsflh
07-27-2022, 08:34 AM
welcome

drybean
07-31-2022, 09:26 AM
Welcome aboard

GaCop
08-02-2022, 06:52 AM
Welcome to the World of Savages.