PDA

View Full Version : Magazine/Bolt Failure To Feed

Turkeytider
07-23-2022, 04:29 PM
I have a 110 Storm in .223 that I enjoy shooting. One issue, however, is an intermittent aggravation. Sometimes the first (top ) round in the magazine will not feed into the chamber when I close the bolt. It`s like the bolt just slides over the top of the round. Not cool if you`re chambering ( or think you are ! ) the first round into the rifle at the beginning of a hunt! Any thoughts, suggestions, would be much appreciated. Oh, and it`s happened with all three of the magazines for that rifle. Thanks.

Dave Hoback
07-23-2022, 09:06 PM
Another member just had this very same problem. Is everything factory? I would strongly suspect the magazine.

Robinhood
07-24-2022, 01:09 AM
When you are at the range or a safe place, put the safety in the middle position. Place the loaded MAGA-zine in the rifle. Place the gun back on the bench pointed downrange supported with your bipod or bags. Remove the bolt. Look into the action from the rear bolt entry hole.

Do the rounds stick up high enough for the bottom of the bolt head to strip the round out of the MAGA-zine? If you are not sure slowly slide the bolt into the action looking at the the rear of the cartridge. What happens? Does the bolt ride up over the top of the round or does it strip the round?

If it strips the round can you make it slide over the top by pushing downward while moving the bolt forward. If you can make it strip and make it not strip the round out of the MAGA-zine or it slides over every time, you will need to adjust the feed lips slightly...slowly. You might be able to use a 6" or 8" adjustable wrench (Cresent) to do the deed on metal mags.

I am sure yours are metal but I am not certain. Just in case they are not, you might have to get innovative. Try some 320 sandpaper on the underside of the lips and go slowly.

My spelling of MAGA-zine is not political in nature and should not be construed that way..

Dave Hoback
07-24-2022, 08:21 AM
Here’s that other thread. Might be helpful. https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?70683-Savage-110-Ultralite-feeding-question&p=503010#post503010

wbm
07-24-2022, 08:29 AM
+1.

Turkeytider
07-24-2022, 08:36 AM
I`m beginning to think it has to do with my improper seating of the magazine on occasion. I loaded all three magazines with four rounds each and cycled them 3-4 times each. Not one failure to chamber. I took some care when inserting the magazines, making sure the rear was inserted first and a solid upward push to click in the front of the magazine. Also, I don`t believe these magazines seat as well with a closed bolt. We shall see. Thanks for the tips and comments, guys. Much appreciated.

Turkeytider
07-24-2022, 08:56 AM
Here’s that other thread. Might be helpful. https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?70683-Savage-110-Ultralite-feeding-question&p=503010#post503010

Thanks Dave. Magazines and magazine related functions seem to be a weak point with Savage rifles, at least it seems that way to me. I had a helluva time with my .17HMR magazines. I really don`t know for sure why, but those issues seem to have somehow resolved themselves and the magazines feed like a champ now. Like Cousin Eddie said in Christmas Vacation, " I don`t know. "

Dave Hoback
07-24-2022, 01:26 PM
Thanks Dave. Magazines and magazine related functions seem to be a weak point with Savage rifles, at least it seems that way to me. I had a helluva time with my .17HMR magazines. I really don`t know for sure why, but those issues seem to have somehow resolved themselves and the magazines feed like a champ now. Like Cousin Eddie said in Christmas Vacation, " I don`t know. "

You would be correct in that deduction my friend. Savage factory Magazines are among the worst! Even Savage, when they want it done right, for instance with the Model 10 tactical which is used by many LE Swat Teams. It uses an AICS magazine system, in lieu of the flawed factory mag setup.

Turkeytider
07-24-2022, 04:04 PM
You would be correct in that deduction my friend. Savage factory Magazines are among the worst! Even Savage, when they want it done right, for instance with the Model 10 tactical which is used by many LE Swat Teams. It uses an AICS magazine system, in lieu of the flawed factory mag setup.

Well Savage has GOT to know that they (magazines) are weak and a source of customer dissatisfaction. It is beyond me as to why, it would appear, that they are content to allow it to be so. I can`t understand why Savage does not make it a company goal and objective to produce " the best factory made magazines in the industry '". Some company could make a bloody fortune if they came out with a line of after market magazines for Savage rifles.