PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 vs Axis Total Length

Guppy
07-23-2022, 02:56 PM
I am wanting a decent bolt .308 for deer hunting in wooded national forest. I do a lot of hiking/hunting. I would prefer a shorter gun for quicker handling. I like the looks of the 110 tactical or tactical hunter. I figured the shorter barrel it would be a shorter gun more suitable to my preferences. Also I like the looks of the bolt and the idea of getting a better firearm. However, looking at the specs I notice the the 110 tactical with a 20" barrel is actually longer than the xp with a 22" barrel and a longer length of pull. I'm surprised there would be that much extra length in the action. Is that right or possibly a misprint in the specs?

Also, any input on whether spending more on the 110 is worth it? I find the 110 tactical more aesthetic and I like the adjust-ability of the accustock and the threaded barrel. However, I expect I will only plink a bit and mainly just hunt with it so spending more may be foolish. Do the 110s typically maintain value more so than the axis? What are the pros in the 110 line. Is the action smoother, do they maintain accuracy better after the barrel heats up?

I've read that barrels are interchangeable but not stocks. And that the actions are different. The general sentiment seems to be that the axis II is a good value gun but not of the quality of the 110. Implying that if you are like me and want to have a gun used for decades why get the cheaper version. However, I do not know how the different action design factors in to the shooter's experience or the shot.

Robinhood
07-24-2022, 02:55 PM
Dave Hobeck should be around soon.

Guppy
07-24-2022, 10:20 PM
Not sure who Dave is, hopefully a helpful fellow who loves giving a technical and pragmatic break down of the differences between the 110 series and the axis series :) Maybe even offer some insight on length in the specs, that just looks off to me.

Another question I had is regarding the interchangeability of stocks in the 110 series. I considered buying the tactical hunter for the action and barrel and upgrading stocks to a accustock or the scout stock, I was thinking if it's the same action and 110 series stocks were interchangeable. But then I saw the following review on Cabela's:

"bought this rifle about a week ago, its beautiful, smooth and definitely not too heavy. Of course Savage was always known for not only their out of box accuracy but their tupperware stocks and this stock is no different. After removing the barreled action for cleaning I was disappointed to see that a cheap stock was used, not even an "Accustock" on a "Tactical hunting" rifle. I am mildly disappointed about this. From what I understand this is a Cabelas/Bass Pro exclusive rifle, but for the price you CAN do better. Even if you want to switch the stock out, the factory stock comes with no bottom metal, the magazine well is molded into the stock itself, so changing stocks is only possible if you are able to get your hands on the mag well. I have been out of the gun game for awhile so it is my fault for not asking more questions. There is nothing about this rifle online information wise. If you want a nice barreled action for a build and $$$ is no option then go for it, I kind of wish I had gone a different route. This is not Cabelas fault nor Savages. I will report back with an update after I shoot it"

That makes me concerned that getting a tactical hunter, even at a good deal would mean you are stuck with a cheaper stock.

Dave Hoback
07-24-2022, 11:15 PM
Welcome to the Forum Guppy. I’m just a regular guy. There are a lot of us here who have known each other online for many years & we joke around like that. Just good fun. I’m gonna tell you that pretty much everyone here is going to say go for the 110, hands down. Nothing wrong with the Axis. They are good hunting rifles & typically shoot well. But they are about as basic as they come. As for stock, there have been difference through the years for interchangeability of stocks for 110’s and of course Long vs Short Action. Besides that, on current production 110’s, the stocks are fit for Top or Bottom Bolt Release (TBR vs BBR) & detachable mag, or internal box. To tell you the truth, I think there are several aftermarket stocks which are better performing than the Accustock, but if you do want the Accustock, I’d look to purchase a 110 which has it already. I’m not big on standard stocks. I’m a Chassis fan for mine.

charlie b
07-25-2022, 08:55 AM
Axis vs 110. My Axis has a looser feel than my 12 varmint. The shorter bolt handle gives it a different feel as well. The Axis has a separate recoil lug (at least mine does).

Accuracy of the barreled action is a wash. The barrels for the Axis are basically the same as the 110 series.

The Axis stock used to be a big weak point. Since they changed the design a year or two ago I have not tried one. I understand they are made stiffer now so that may not be an issue anymore. BUT, the Accustock on the 110 has the Al rail in it which makes it a much better stock.

If you are going to keep the factory setup, the Accustock and the solid recoil lug on the 110 would get my vote. If you are going to customize it the 110 has more options than the Axis (as well as a better resale).

If I were buying a nice rifle for hunting I'd look at the Howa, Tikka and Bergara rifles.

Guppy
07-30-2022, 07:11 AM
Axis vs 110. My Axis has a looser feel than my 12 varmint. The shorter bolt handle gives it a different feel as well. The Axis has a separate recoil lug (at least mine does).

Accuracy of the barreled action is a wash. The barrels for the Axis are basically the same as the 110 series.

The Axis stock used to be a big weak point. Since they changed the design a year or two ago I have not tried one. I understand they are made stiffer now so that may not be an issue anymore. BUT, the Accustock on the 110 has the Al rail in it which makes it a much better stock.

If you are going to keep the factory setup, the Accustock and the solid recoil lug on the 110 would get my vote. If you are going to customize it the 110 has more options than the Axis (as well as a better resale).

If I were buying a nice rifle for hunting I'd look at the Howa, Tikka and Bergara rifles.

I have noticed tikkas have a very smooth action compared to Axis or 110 series. The tactical hunter is a 110 that is less expensive fits my needs but has the flimsy stock people complain about. I assume that effects consistency of accuracy? For instance in the field shooting off hand, off the back pack, leaning against a tree and etc? A firmer stock would mean the gun shoots true no matter where pressure is applied?

Thanks for the info on the interchangeability of the stocks. That looked like an easy improvement if I did not like the 110 tactical hunter stock, just buy a accustock off ebay ($100 right now) and I basically have a 110 tactical for the same or less $. But the 110 hunter has the internal magazine not the detachable tactical withe accustock has. Is it possible to convert the 110 to detachable magazines?

I may be fine with the stock people consider flimsy but am curious the options if I decide I want to upgrade it in the future.

TXRoadlizard
07-30-2022, 10:13 AM
I've owned more 110s than I currently have, but I still have two. If you are really just plinking and hunting, any of the Savage rifles will work fine. If you ever want to customize the rifle, I'd recommend the 110 and get it with a top bolt release. I had a 110 hunter in 270 for years and lost count of how many deer that rifle put in the freezer. I never once shot a 3-shot or 5-shot group with it and honestly it never occured to me to do so, no more so than it would occur to me to cut my lawn with scissors. That 110 Hunter was in a light plastic stock and had a pencil "sporter" barrel. I doubt it would group to save your life unless you let that barrel really cool between shots. I can honestly also say I never shot a deer that got away with that rifle. It was and was designed to be MOD, not MOA (Minute of Deer). I had 100% confidence that I could put a bullet through the vitals on a deer under 250 yards if I had a good enough shot to pull the trigger on. So again, if you are plinking and hunting, you'll love just about Savage you mentioned. If you buy a hunting rifle and sit at a bench trying to make it shoot 0.25" groups repeatably at 100-yards, you'll be very disappointed. That's my two cents on it. :)

Robinhood
07-30-2022, 12:14 PM
If you are looking to go a different route than Savage, the Tikka's are a good option as is the Bergara, at least a few years back they were.

For the savages if you look there are at least a few making bottom metals that fit stocks set up for a detachable magazine that use AICs style mags and others if I am not mistaken. The reason I suggested Dave is that he keeps up with all of that where I do not. I have been an enthusiast for years but you get tired of keeping up with all of the new stuff. David does a good job of educating people with questions like yours with up to date info.

Robinhood
07-30-2022, 12:21 PM
Sum ting wong

Guppy
07-30-2022, 02:01 PM
I've owned more 110s than I currently have, but I still have two. If you are really just plinking and hunting, any of the Savage rifles will work fine. If you ever want to customize the rifle, I'd recommend the 110 and get it with a top bolt release. I had a 110 hunter in 270 for years and lost count of how many deer that rifle put in the freezer. I never once shot a 3-shot or 5-shot group with it and honestly it never occured to me to do so, no more so than it would occur to me to cut my lawn with scissors. That 110 Hunter was in a light plastic stock and had a pencil "sporter" barrel. I doubt it would group to save your life unless you let that barrel really cool between shots. I can honestly also say I never shot a deer that got away with that rifle. It was and was designed to be MOD, not MOA (Minute of Deer). I had 100% confidence that I could put a bullet through the vitals on a deer under 250 yards if I had a good enough shot to pull the trigger on. So again, if you are plinking and hunting, you'll love just about Savage you mentioned. If you buy a hunting rifle and sit at a bench trying to make it shoot 0.25" groups repeatably at 100-yards, you'll be very disappointed. That's my two cents on it. :)

That's practical. I am letting th gear junky part of me want to steer towards a better quality fire arm but I do not plan to be a competitive shooter, and I doubt it will make a difference in the amount of meat I put in the freezer. However, I do like carrying a rifle I like and have pride in when I hunt. I am really looking at the ruger predator .308 and the savage 110 .308 tactical hunter. Both have 18" barrels, though I think the 110 is heavier. They both have what rae considered flimsy cheap stocks. Not sure what difference I would notice while hunting, only that the ruger is lighter.

Dave Hoback
07-30-2022, 02:27 PM
Im the same way broheim. :( It wouldn’t matter if I was shooting a capable accurate stock Savage 110 or a custom built, tricked out rig using the best of everything, my accuracy would be similar. I’m not a small group shooter. Not anymore. I can hit the target I’m aiming at. And I’m happy with that. I’m a Savage 110 fan because they’ve just always stuck with me. Savage was my first high power rifle. And I just continued buying them for price. Then I started building & customizing them. I’ve stayed with them because it’s different. Compared to what most use, that is. (Rem 700) Including every custom Action. And I like messing with things. Taking something that works “OK”, and making it work better. Even though some think I’m lying about the things I do. (I’m thinking this applies to the really nice Bipod I just made.. machined every single piece. 2024 Billet, Titanium & Carbon Fiber. But yeah, guess I’m lying about it.:rolleyes:)

Dave Hoback
07-30-2022, 02:27 PM
Duplicate

charlie b
07-30-2022, 02:32 PM
The Axis stock I had was also one of the 'flimsy' ones, but, it did just fine shooting off bags at the range. I am sure a bipod might be an issue, depending on how it was used. Unless you put a lot of pressure on it there should be no issues with hunting.

But, if you do find an issue you can fix it in an afternoon. Two ways people have used. One is to 'gut' the fore end and insert a stiff bar or tube (thick wall Aluminum if you want to keep it light). Bed it in with epoxy resin. Again, if you wanted to keep it light use some microballoon filler in the epoxy mix.

Others have just filled the fore arm with something like JB Weld.