PDA

View Full Version : Bedding a pre 1968 Savage 110

dillwt
07-23-2022, 08:38 AM
Have a pre 1968 left hand 7mm rem Mag on the way. Has anyone had any success in bedding those actions and would you bed the barrel all the way to the barrel "Lump" where the sight dovetail is. I cant imagine how much vibrating that thing does when fired.

I have bedded newer actions without the barrel lump with good success but have never tried this on an older model.

dillwt
07-31-2022, 03:54 AM
Lots of finishing to go and need to fit a good recoil pad. Looks like it will end up being a 7.5# brutal 7mm.

charlie b
07-31-2022, 09:24 AM
I only bed actions up to the recoil lug. The barrel does not touch anything.

dillwt
07-31-2022, 02:43 PM
I normally bed the first few inches of a heavier barrel the part with the chamber. This pencil barrel with the funny lump, not sure how do deal with it. Wondering how much vibration it will cause.

Dave Hoback
07-31-2022, 05:18 PM
You can still do the same. Bed up to the barrel band & float the rest, paying a little more attention floating around that band. If you’ve bedded the first few inches in the past & been happy with the results, I wouldn’t change a thing in your shoes.

dillwt
07-31-2022, 08:37 PM
Dave, I think your right, if I bed the barrel band and there is any movement of the receiver it will cause the barrel to jump up. Hopefully get it finished this week and get some range time. Just finished fitting the recoil pad. Still a lot of sanding then bedding and some coats of Tung Oil to go. Scope is a Weaver K4 60-B that came with the rifle. Seems to be in great shape with only a few minor scratches. Be interesting to see if it will hold zero. Will use something with more power for testing.

Dave Hoback
07-31-2022, 09:04 PM
Awe… that’s ok.. DOING things to the rifle, setting up this, fixing that, massaging those… Man oh man! That’s the best part, LOL! :redface-new:

PhilC
08-01-2022, 09:14 AM
The barrel band provides diameter for the rear sight dovetail, nothing more.