PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning

Mr.Snerdly
07-20-2022, 08:49 PM
How often do you guys clean? I think maybe I haven't been doing it often enough. I gave one of the rifles a very through cleaning and it seems to shoot considerably better now. I know you don't need to clean every 10 shots but I think maybe 125-150 is too many. What is your opinion?

I did clean the 243 very well too and it didn't seem to help it but I think the barrel is just worn out. 3 shots were pretty decent and the next one about 1 1/4" out of the group. The other gun I cleaned that shot a lot better is a 223 with a lot fewer rounds through it.

Also, one time someone mentioned a common household cleaner that was excellent for copper. What was it?

charlie b
07-20-2022, 09:03 PM
Depends on the barrel. My .308 (from a 12BVSS) likes to be cleaned after every session (50-100rnds). My old Axis .223 HB did not lose accuracy until it had almost 200 rounds through it, along with a good layer of copper fouling. The Shilen 6BR barrel I clean after every session as well, but, it collects almost no copper fouling.

So, to answer your question, I clean after every trip to the range. But, I shoot 50-100 rounds per session. If it was only 10 rounds, then no I would not.

efm77
07-21-2022, 09:24 AM
Everybody has different preferences. I probably clean mine too often. However, I'm not fond of putting them up with a fouled barrel, so I almost always clean them after each shooting session. As for copper cleaner, you might be thinking of Windex? I've heard it works well. I like to use Bore Tech copper remover myself as it works very well too and isn't toxic.

wbm
07-21-2022, 01:00 PM
I usually clean after each session.

charlie b
07-21-2022, 04:40 PM
Windex works on copper because of the ammonia in it. Same as Hoppe's 9 and Sweets 7.62

I've used a few others that work a bit faster. Bore Tech is a good one, and it has a chemical in it to turn the patches blue if there is still copper. KG12 is another I really like since it is so fast acting. But, it does not change color so you have to look in the bore to see when it is clear of copper. I use a mop to apply it.

Ernest T
07-21-2022, 08:04 PM
I clean every time I shoot. Just something about putting up a dirty tool doesn't set right with me.

Gun stop
07-21-2022, 11:51 PM
I use simple green myself...... love the outcome afterwards.. clean with a toothbrush then rinse then I use an air compressor to get all moisture out

PhilC
07-22-2022, 10:07 AM
Windex works on copper because of the ammonia in it. Same as Hoppe's 9 and Sweets 7.62

I've used a few others that work a bit faster. Bore Tech is a good one, and it has a chemical in it to turn the patches blue if there is still copper. KG12 is another I really like since it is so fast acting. But, it does not change color so you have to look in the bore to see when it is clear of copper. I use a mop to apply it.
I like Boretech, C4 for carbon and Cu+2 for copper, they worked so well that after trying them I got rid all the others. I clean in the house so their no offensive odor keeps my better half happy.

gbflyer
07-22-2022, 09:05 PM
When accuracy degrades to a point of unhappiness. Then it’s 12 strokes with the appropriate size bronze brush using the solvent of choice. Finish with 3 dry patches. Done. Spent years agonizing over bore cleaning, and break in. Way
more fun not to.

Stumpkiller
07-22-2022, 09:27 PM
I usually clean after each session.

^^ That.

Sometimes I run a brush at the range after 20 rounds when doing load development.

rerun5
07-23-2022, 07:41 PM
I clean all of mine after every range session, that's how I was taught to do it. As for copper fouling, I have always used Hoppe's #9 solvent. I use a bore brush on a cleaning rod and run it through the bore 2 or 3 times dry. Then I run a patch soaked in Hoppe's through the bore 4 or 5 times and I let it set over night. When I come back the next day or when I go to finish cleaning I run a solvent wet patch through it once or twice and begin with my dry patches. I always get copper with factory bullets on the first couple patches, and after that it's just powder residue until it's clean. It takes out all of the copper each time.
The only time I alter my process is when I have used ammo with corrosive primers, then I use a few dry patches after the solvent soaked. Then I run another wet patch and leave it over night and then complete it.

Robinhood
07-24-2022, 07:14 PM
There is cleaning and there is CLEANING! Which one are you, the OP talking about.

Stumpkiller
07-24-2022, 08:44 PM
Good point. When I get out the Barnes CR-10 and do a full copper fouling removal regimen that is a much longer process.