PDA

View Full Version : Longtime creeper...

yellowhammer_al
07-13-2022, 04:19 PM
Hello everyone,

I've been a longtime creeper of the website but have never registered because most of my questions have been answered by simply browsing posts and viewing others questions and the corresponding replies. I have recently started a new build, however, that is proving to be a pain in my rear and I would appreciate some expert advice for how to proceed.

Looking forward to connecting with other savage owners.

Thanks!

Dave Hoback
07-13-2022, 04:29 PM
Howdy friend. What’s your issue?

drybean
07-13-2022, 04:51 PM
Welcome aboard

Phreddie30.06
07-13-2022, 06:43 PM
Welcome from colorful Colorado

I owe it all to my dad.

Stumpkiller
07-13-2022, 08:36 PM
Welcome. Measure twice & cut once and ALWAYS BE PATIENT!

yellowhammer_al
07-14-2022, 09:49 AM
A while back I purchased a short action (4.40" spacing), top bolt release Savage 110 large shank receiver with corresponding bolt and magnum bolt face. My plan from the very beginning was to build a 6.5WSM. I ordered a custom barrel from X-Caliber in 6.5WSM with a 1:8 twist and 5R groove. While I waited for the barrel to be made, I found a 6.5PRC barrel at a steal and mated it to the receiver. I put a Rifle Basix trigger set at 2.5 lbs in and installed the action and barrel into a Savage Accustock I found cheap on eBay with a varmint barrel channel. I used the Savage Short Action Bottom Metal Kit from Accurate-Mag as my bottom metal. The Savage factory 6.5PRC barrel is a tack driver and I really like the feel of the rifle in the Savage Accustock.

The problem I'm having is now that my barrel has come in, it does not fit in the stock. I went with a #28 contour, X-Caliber calls it the Savage Big Varmint contour. It is 1.120" from the shank for 4" then begins to taper down to .810". I have some other Savage rifles in different stocks and I tried my X-Caliber barrel in those and they fit. I have a MDT LSS-XL stock and a Choate Tactical stock. I do not want another AR-style stock so another MDT is out of the question. I like the Choate stock but it's not compatible with my AI bottom metal and magazines. I called Choate and spoke with Fred and he said they're working on compatibility but who knows when that will be. I was waiting for MagPul to release the Hunter stock for Savage but that keeps getting pushed back (even though they're available directly from Savage on new rifles). So, after looking at my options, I'm thinking of going with a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock. Boyd's has an option for a Savage 12 TBR, SA, Detachable Magazine, Bull Barrel... would that fit my build? I'm okay with minor inletting here and there but I'm trying to avoid doing serious work in the barrel channel. Had I realised the X-Caliber barrel was not going to be a drop-in for the Savage Accustock, I would've gone with a smaller profile.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping someone out there has a similar barrel profile and experience with the Boyd's Pro Varmint.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

yellowhammer_al
07-14-2022, 10:08 AM
Here's a link for a couple of pictures. Pictures include the action with factory 6.5PRC barrel in the Accustock with the AI magwell (black barrel), action and new barrel, and action and new barrel in my Choate stock.

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#02clcykFK5_ClC4n3XduIL93Q

ragsflh
07-14-2022, 11:12 AM
welcome

Dave Hoback
07-14-2022, 01:50 PM
Most “stocks” are going to need fitting. Stocks are meant to be fitted & bedded. Honestly, I wouldn’t want one that was “drop in”, unless it used an Aluminum Chassis insert.

But to your point, I’m not quite sure what your fear of inletting the channel is?? It’s quite easy & doesn’t hurt anything. I would almost count on some fitting & bedding on the Boyds, but as long as it’s for the 4.40 Action, it will work.

GaCop
07-16-2022, 07:25 AM
Welcome to the group. That's a good lookin rifle.

yellowhammer_al
07-16-2022, 11:19 AM
Thank you!

yellowhammer_al
07-16-2022, 11:28 AM
Finished up this build yesterday. Took a Savage 110 Ultralite in 300 WSM and rebarrelled to 6.8 Western. Barrel is #6 contour from McGowen Precision and fits perfectly in the Ultralite stock. I went with Midnight Bronze for the barrel and it almost matches the receiver and recoil lug... going to respray everything to match up.