PDA

View Full Version : Left hand action source

Pages : [1] 2

olegburn
07-01-2022, 12:35 PM
What are the sources for left hand Savage short actions?
Besides obviously buying new gun
Thanks!

Dave Hoback
07-01-2022, 03:27 PM
Right here. But they are sold out. Only place I’ve seen sell LEFT hand Actions.
https://northlandshooterssupply.com/actions/savage-factory-actions/savage-model-10/

olegburn
07-01-2022, 09:03 PM
Let me know of the particulars, I might be interested. Although project I have in mind does not require worked on action.
Thanks!

olegburn
07-01-2022, 09:09 PM
I checked it also and saw they're out.
I'm curious-if it's worth a hassle buying new gun and stripping it for action?
Is there a demand for barrel, stock?

Right they here. But they are sold out. Only place I’ve seen sell LEFT hand Actions.
https://northlandshooterssupply.com/actions/savage-factory-actions/savage-model-10/

Txhillbilly
07-01-2022, 10:09 PM
While I have quite a few LH Savage action rifle's, I just buy custom LH action's anymore. With American Rifle Co, Bighorn, and Shilen, you get the Savage pre-fit threading, with an action that uses / fits in Remington 700 style stock's and trigger's for a few $$$ more than a Savage action.
I'll never go back to buying Savage action's for a donor action build, I get too many options using the custom action's that make the Savage action like living in the stone age.

olegburn
07-01-2022, 11:09 PM
Tex, actions you talk about, are they pretty much Remy actions that uses barrel nut ?
Can you provide link to the manufacturer?
Thanks!

gbflyer
07-01-2022, 11:36 PM
Front Range Precision LLC generally has Bighorn lefty actions in stock or on order. Great guy to deal with.

Txhillbilly
07-02-2022, 04:48 AM
Tex, actions you talk about, are they pretty much Remy actions that uses barrel nut ?
Can you provide link to the manufacturer?
Thanks!

They are all custom action's that use the Remington 700 footprint along with the Savage style threads. You can use pre-fit barrel's with a barrel nut, or shouldered pre-fit barrel's from several places for the ARC & Bighorn action's since the machining tolerances are very close.
I've got both styles of barrels on mine.
ARC Nucleus action with a shouldered Rock Creek barrel from PVA-

https://i.imgur.com/43xniW2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bCbU58J.jpg

ARC Archimedes action with a barrel nut pre-fit from X-Caliber-

https://i.imgur.com/Y8Xm2v6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Npry4Qw.jpg

Shilen DGR action with a barrel nut pre-fit from Shilen-

https://i.imgur.com/SRmRwt0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5dvfGfA.jpg

https://americanrifle.odoo.com/shop/category/bolt-actions-5

https://northlandshooterssupply.com/actions/zermatt-bighorn-arms-origin-actions/

https://www.shilen.com/pricesActions.html

Dave Hoback
07-02-2022, 09:52 AM
Isn’t the name of this Forum SAVAGE Shooters? Or did it change to “Custom Action, NOT-Savage shooter” when I wasn’t looking?

Olegburn: we have personal message, but I think you need 25 or 50 posts before you can use it. Just click on a persons name and the personal message will appear.

While I agree it’s not really worth buying a NEW rifle to build, I like buying used rifles & stripping for the Actions. My bench rifle now started life as a model 10 Junior in 243 I picked up for $270. (More than a “few” dollars less than any custom action). While prices have gone up, you can still find them if you search. Of course, you wanting a left hand does complicate matters. I’d just shoot a RH rifle left handed.

Txhillbilly
07-02-2022, 10:30 AM
Isn’t the name of this Forum SAVAGE Shooters? Or did it change to “Custom Action, NOT-Savage shooter” when I wasn’t looking?

Olegburn: we have personal message, but I think you need 25 or 50 posts before you can use it. Just click on a persons name and the personal message will appear.

While I agree it’s not really worth buying a NEW rifle to build, I like buying used rifles & stripping for the Actions. My bench rifle now started life as a model 10 Junior in 243 I picked up for $270. (More than a “few” dollars less than any custom action). While prices have gone up, you can still find them if you search. Of course, you wanting a left hand does complicate matters. I’d just shoot a RH rifle left handed.

What's wrong Dave, are you jealous?
I still love shooting all of my Savage action rifle's, but the custom action's do show you what you're missing in the real world. Butter smooth bolt operation, loads a round without the Savage jam, and never have any extraction or ejection issues.
Yep, Custom action's are worth every penny they cost!

Dave Hoback
07-02-2022, 11:24 AM
Yup.. figured me out. Totally jelly! Because that’s my thing ya know.. I mean.. my greatest enjoyment is using my small shop full of tools making & building things, machining metal to create tools /parts & modifying stock products to make them perform flawlessly at a fraction of cost. But ya got me. My real deal is harboring jealousy for people who BUY expensive stuff. All the time I spent building race cars that would destroy the exotics.. oh, no! I would have been much more proud to BUY a Ferrari.
Thank you for helping me see the light. LOL!

Oh.. btw, my Savage Action never jams, fails to extract and is smooth enough for me. But then, I have MAN hands that aren’t butter smooth so I don’t know. Kinda like those with Tikkas always going on about how “SMOOV” the bolt is… I’ve never understood people’s fascination with smooth bolt sliding?? As long as it doesn’t jam, who cares. I promise no matter how smooth your bolt is, it means nothing for accuracy. Which makes it vanity. I do understand that aspect. “Looks” so to speak. And on that subject, I think the Nucleus Action is one of the ugliest made. My Savage 10 in the Mirage URL Chassis is far more attractive than the picture you have there of the custom action in the KNS Whiskey chassis. (Although I do REALLY like your IOR Valdada scope). Of course I know looks are in the eye of the beholder. But the fact is, I couldn’t shoot your Uber custom Action Rifle any better than I can my Uber Custom Savage Action Rifle. But yeah.. jealous. LOL!

olegburn
07-02-2022, 01:44 PM
Oh boy! Did i stir up a pot with my first post here? I hope not :rolleyes:
Tex, I will be honest- I'm jealous!
Dave, I'm almost ambidextrous and left eye dominant.
I shot right hand guns all my life without complaining.
I just thought I should do something special for myself at once.
My only problem shooting right handed guns is gas and burned powder in semi-autos in my face.
I learned to deal with it by always wearing safety glasses.
On the occasion brass will hit me in the right earmuff

olegburn
07-02-2022, 01:49 PM
With bolt guns I carry them when hunting in front of me.
I stalk a lot- I like to really get close and have to have it in almost ready position.
Right handed guns bolt handle always digs in my stomach and catches on pockets.
That is main inconvinience
At once I'm thinking to treat me right!

Dave Hoback
07-02-2022, 02:54 PM
My only problem shooting right handed guns is gas and burned powder in semi-autos in my face.

No, you didn’t stir anything. Tx & I have both been here quite awhile. I like Tx. And I I think he “tolerates” me, LOL! He knows a lot; especially about Scopes. My repose was just a counter jab.. but I’m laughing while posting it. I’m pretty sure he is to. Different opinions & debate, with a touch of joking around, makes it interesting. But there’s no ill will on either end.

olegburn
07-02-2022, 06:23 PM
I'm glad to hear that!
I also noticed we, at least me got in trouble with moderator. Sorry for trouble- I have yet to learn the do's and don'ts here

No, you didn’t stir anything. Tx & I have both been here quite awhile. I like Tx. And I I think he “tolerates” me, LOL! He knows a lot; especially about Scopes. My repose was just a counter jab.. but I’m laughing while posting it. I’m pretty sure he is to. Different opinions & debate, with a touch of joking around, makes it interesting. But there’s no ill will on either end.

Txhillbilly
07-02-2022, 07:39 PM

No pot stirring going on.
Dave and I poke fun at one another sometimes, with no harm meant. We just have different opinion's on some things.

Dave Hoback
07-02-2022, 08:51 PM
I'm glad to hear that!
I also noticed we, at least me got in trouble with moderator. Sorry for trouble- I have yet to learn the do's and don'ts here

Nah… you’re good. Yeah, it’s become more policed within the last year. But dems da rules! I continue here to help new shooters where I can and because there many people I admire & like going back & forth with on firearms. Guys like Txhillbilly. He & myself are among a core group here who post often, answer questions, help where we can. A lot of knowledge, and better group here I think, than about any other Firearms Forum.

Dave Hoback
07-02-2022, 09:04 PM
Oh yeah… and back to your topic. Honestly, in the end I agree with Tx in your case. Being a Lefty, and wanting a dedicated Left Hand Action, unless you are nutty like me and just really like the Savage 110, go with one of those he posted links for.

Im not a good example to copy. I enjoy the “doing”, the building, fabricating, yadda, yadda…, more than I like having it. Although my Model 10 Action was inexpensive, I still have a LOT of money invested in the whole rifle. I’m fine with that, because I love Savage, and all joking aside, it doesn’t matter what rifle I have. Nothing is going to make me any better than I am. My Left eye is blind, my left arm is paralyzed. I can only shoot from a bench.. no offhand, no prone. I can hit a target, but the insane tight grouping ain’t my gig anymore. I’m not a competitor, and no longer get out shooting much. But I still enjoy it as I always have.

J.Baker
07-03-2022, 12:23 PM
I'm pretty much in line with TX's thinking at this point when it comes to LH actions. Still have three rifles running a Savage action, but if/when I decide to do another build I'll be going custom - most likely a BigHorn. Last bolt gun I built was with an ARC Nucleus action, and while me and TX's experience with this action greatly differ (mine was one of the early one's plagued with light primer strikes), I still much prefer it over my Savage actions due to it being CRF and having much better/more reliable extraction/ejection. The much larger selection of available triggers and stocks for the Rem 700 footprint custom actions makes them the easy choice for me as finding LH Savage stocks that aren't an all-metal chassis has gotten a lot harder in recent years. I've also been running this site for over 20 years and have gotten a little bored with Savage's I guess.

Only way I'd build off a Savage action at this point would be updating one of my currently owned Savage's or if I came across a smoking deal on an action. It's not that the Savage is uniformly bad with feeding/ejecting, rather that it's finicky with certain cartridges that just so happen to also be some of the most popular cartridges on the market right now. Another major factor is aftermarket support and parts availability - especially for the older staggered feed models. At this point it's almost impossible to find staggered magazine parts to do a conversion unless you just happen to have what you need stashed away in the parts drawer left-over from a previous build. Even getting current production parts for a conversion has become a challenge with the current supply chain issues and Savage's ever changing "rules" on who can order what or what parts they'll make available to what resellers.

Txhillbilly
07-03-2022, 09:56 PM
I'm pretty much in line with TX's thinking at this point when it comes to LH actions. Still have three rifles running a Savage action, but if/when I decide to do another build I'll be going custom - most likely a BigHorn. Last bolt gun I built was with an ARC Nucleus action, and while me and TX's experience with this action greatly differ (mine was one of the early one's plagued with light primer strikes), I still much prefer it over my Savage actions due to it being CRF and having much better/more reliable extraction/ejection. The much larger selection of available triggers and stocks for the Rem 700 footprint custom actions makes them the easy choice for me as finding LH Savage stocks that aren't an all-metal chassis has gotten a lot harder in recent years. I've also been running this site for over 20 years and have gotten a little bored with Savage's I guess.

Only way I'd build off a Savage action at this point would be updating one of my currently owned Savage's or if I came across a smoking deal on an action. It's not that the Savage is uniformly bad with feeding/ejecting, rather that it's finicky with certain cartridges that just so happen to also be some of the most popular cartridges on the market right now. Another major factor is aftermarket support and parts availability - especially for the older staggered feed models. At this point it's almost impossible to find staggered magazine parts to do a conversion unless you just happen to have what you need stashed away in the parts drawer left-over from a previous build. Even getting current production parts for a conversion has become a challenge with the current supply chain issues and Savage's ever changing "rules" on who can order what or what parts they'll make available to what resellers.

My Gen 1 Nucleus is #12 so it was one of the first built. I still run the 16# firing pin spring in it, as well as installed one in my Gen 2 Nucleus action when I built it. Never a single issue with light primer strikes out of either action. The Archimedes action uses a different spring, but I think it's a 19# spring in it. It has dual cocking cams so the feel is almost the same as my Nucleus action's when operating the bolt.
I had planned on buying a Bighorn action, but there was a 6 month wait to get one then, so I just ordered the Gen 2 Nucleus. If I decide to build another rifle, I'll probably get the Bighorn if they are available.