PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Bolt Release Savages

GaCop
06-30-2022, 06:49 AM
I'm finding out these BBR Savages are a royal PIA to rebuild on. Even if I want to use a single shot insert it looks like I still have to shell out for bottom metal, another trigger guard besides a barrel and stock. The old staggerfeed and centerfeed are a bit easier on the wallet. Rant over.

Robinhood
06-30-2022, 07:45 PM
I'm finding out these BBR Savages are a royal PIA to rebuild on. Even if I want to use a single shot insert it looks like I still have to shell out for bottom metal, another trigger guard besides a barrel and stock. The old staggerfeed and centerfeed are a bit easier on the wallet. Rant over.

I believe the BBR is still center feed. The difference is the trigger guard if that is what you are meaning.(Yes, the side of the action is different and the sear is different too) Savage already messed up the bottom metal by having different thickness tang between this rifle and that rifle. Is that what you mean? I have used a standard 1/4 flat washer to get the spacing right. I think a couple of people have talked about it in the faq section.

strut64
07-01-2022, 04:52 AM
I would comment on bottom bolt release system, but, the website moderators would certainly have to censor me. At the least it is an abomination.

GaCop
07-03-2022, 07:04 AM
I would comment on bottom bolt release system, but, the website moderators would certainly have to censor me. At the least it is an abomination. Yes, the "bottom metal" is molded into the factory stock so in order to use an aftermarket stock Savage bottom metal has to be bought. I plan to use the action for target work. I can get a single shot "sled" but still have to have bottom metal to use it. I have noticed I can reuse the ugly factory squared TG.

GaCop
07-03-2022, 07:05 AM
I believe the BBR is still center feed. The difference is the trigger guard if that is what you are meaning.(Yes, the side of the action is different and the sear is different too) Savage already messed up the bottom metal by having different thickness tang between this rifle and that rifle. Is that what you mean? I have used a standard 1/4 flat washer to get the spacing right. I think a couple of people have talked about it in the faq section.
My magazine is stagger feed, looks identical to the Axis mag. My bad, it is center feed.

KMW1954
07-06-2022, 12:04 AM
Have a Model 10 blind mag stagger feed Top Bolt release and a Model 11 BBR, DBM Center feed.

The model 10 went from a stock Savage Wood Stock to a to a Boyd's Spike Camp. The model 11 Went from a Richards MicroFit Trekker to a Boyds At-One Thumbhole.

I don't have an issue with either bolt release but I really prefer the stagger feed more than the DBM Center feed.

Dave Hoback
07-06-2022, 06:23 AM
This is one reason I’m so glad I was always drawn to composites & Non-ferrous metals. No worrying about any of this with a chassis. I go back & forth on this with my close friend in Arizona. He likes hard wood, leather everything with firearms. Too funny.