PDA

View Full Version : 7mm-08

Mr.Snerdly
06-21-2022, 10:31 PM
Is it not a very popular caliber? Seems like stuff is hard to find for it.

Txhillbilly
06-22-2022, 02:58 AM
The 7mm-08 is a very popular hunting and long range shooting cartridge. Right now, 7mm bullet's are impossible to find in almost any weight.
I don't shoot / buy factory ammo, so I don't know if it is easy to find. I know I haven't seen any 7mm bullet's in stock any place in a long time.

PhilC
06-22-2022, 08:47 AM
I agree with Txhillbilly, great cartridge, and 7mm is my overall favorite caliber.

Mr.Snerdly
06-22-2022, 09:15 AM
I thought maybe that was another possibility. Very popular and hard to keep up with the demand or so unpopular there is little demand for the caliber and people don't stock slow moving stuff. I think it looks like a good caliber ballistically. Easier on barrels than a lot too.

GaCop
06-25-2022, 06:36 AM
Lack of decent bullets and brass is why I don't load for my 7mm Mauser, Mannlicher sporter.

GrenGuy
06-26-2022, 11:09 AM
Is it not a very popular caliber? Seems like stuff is hard to find for it.

It is a popular caliber. But all ammunition, powder, bullets, cases, and primers, are in critically short supply. I have watched the blurbs on youtube about how the manufacturers are working harder and producing more than ever. What they are leaving out is, where is all that product going and who are the customer recipients? It’s not going to the mom & pop shop down the road, not Midway, not Basspro, not Powder Valley! Where are all of those trailer loads going? Maybe they are being hijacked by the Ukrainians or the Russians ?? The bottom line is, I am being disarmed. It’s a tough fight against tyranny when you can only use your rifle as a “CLUB”

Mr.Snerdly
06-26-2022, 12:00 PM
^^^I agree, I think the government is behind it. There is no way things should be as hard to get as they are. Primers are the worst.

wbm
06-26-2022, 05:55 PM
Primers are becoming more available but at very high prices.

Dave Hoback
06-26-2022, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I’m seeing them again more & more. Price, yeah… but why would we expect any different with the “Biden Inflation Invasion”!? When’s the last time you filled your tank with gas? Or bought chicken at the supermarket? Chicken!! This admin (really DEMONcrats on the whole), are purposefully trying to transform us into the next Venezuela. Read this: https://time.com/venezuela-brink/

If we ever let them take our gun away, this is what awaits us.

GrenGuy
06-26-2022, 06:18 PM
“THEY” have a better idea Dave. They are taking away our AMMO.

Mr.Snerdly
06-26-2022, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I’m seeing them again more & more. Price, yeah… but why would we expect any different with the “Biden Inflation Invasion”!? When’s the last time you filled your tank with gas? Or bought chicken at the supermarket? Chicken!! This admin (really DEMONcrats on the whole), are purposefully trying to transform us into the next Venezuela. Read this: https://time.com/venezuela-brink/

If we ever let them take our gun away, this is what awaits us.If you think gas and food are bad, buy nitrogen fertilizer or phosphate fertilizer. Hell, any kind of fertilizer. Anhydrous ammonia went from about $450-500 last year to as high as $1600. If is a little less now but not much. Most ag chemicals doubled. Of course, diesel fuel has gone up at least as much as gas and most irrigation power units are diesel around here, which is and has always been foolish. LP has usually been cheaper, not only in operating expense and much, much lower in initial cost. I don't know why nearly everyone uses diesel but they do. I am not complaining since commodity prices are at ridiculous levels and you can still make good money but when they collapse, I doubt if the inputs do nearly as much.

Dave Hoback
06-26-2022, 09:19 PM
Thats my point. It’s everything. This is exactly how other countries that were prosperous & now in economic ruin started. It’s not “China”, it’s not “Russia, Russia, are Russia”! It’s “Let’s Go Brandon’s” policies, his administration’s & DEMONcrat politicians fault. They WANT the country to be in ruins.

charlie b
06-26-2022, 09:20 PM
Our Sportsman's gets in primers now days. It may not be what you want and they limit it to 200 per day per customer. For about a month now they are getting a good supply of primers (more than they would get pre-COVID). One batch was more than 10,000 primers. Small pistol and rifle. The std primers were under $6/100. The BR-4's were under $9/100. The std primers sold out in a couple of days. I guess no one wanted the match primers so I got lucky and have 2500 of them now.

The primers are getting out there. Just folks are buying them as soon as they hit the shelves.

I also got an 8lb jug of Varget. They got in two of them. I've also been able to buy some 6BR brass (Lapua) that was on the shelf at Cabela's. Also quite a few Hornady bullets. Picked up some 6mm 103gn ELD's yesterday. They still have 3 boxes of 77gn SMK's, at least one box each of 175gn SMK's, 168gn AMax, 155 ELD match.

Ammunition is also available for most of the mainstream cartridges. 5.56, .308, 9mm, .40SW, .45acp. Other cartridges may not be available or only in limited supply, like .30-30.

What is different? Really it is just demand. The super high demand has allowed folks to double their money on some of these items. So, as soon as they hit the shelves the 'scalpers' descend and buy everything they can. Then go out and sell it at higher prices. This is the first time I have seen this happen for so long a time. I see people in Sportsman's talking on the phone. They are describing what is there and comparing prices to see what they will buy for resale.

Why is demand so high? Folks like me. I never had more than 1000 primers on the shelf at any one time and frequently bought them by the box. Now I have almost 10,000. Same with powder. I'd buy 1lb at a time and never thought about an 8lb jug. Now I have about twenty 1lb jugs and three 8lb jugs. The pistol stuff will take me quite a few years to use up. I almost have what I consider "enough".

Same with ammo. Most folks I know would have a few boxes of ammo for each of their guns. Now they aren't satisfied until they have over 1000.

Combine that with the many millions of NEW gun owners and millions of additional firearms that existing gun owners have purchased in the last couple of years. That is a level of demand we have never seen before, ever.

Then add in the blockage of foreign ammo or higher tariffs and the US mfgs are not able to come any where close to keeping up.

Not a conspiracy, just a lot of people buying it up.

PhilC
06-27-2022, 09:27 AM
Our Sportsman's gets in primers now days. It may not be what you want and they limit it to 200 per day per customer. For about a month now they are getting a good supply of primers (more than they would get pre-COVID). One batch was more than 10,000 primers. Small pistol and rifle. The std primers were under $6/100. The BR-4's were under $9/100. The std primers sold out in a couple of days. I guess no one wanted the match primers so I got lucky and have 2500 of them now.

The primers are getting out there. Just folks are buying them as soon as they hit the shelves.

I also got an 8lb jug of Varget. They got in two of them. I've also been able to buy some 6BR brass (Lapua) that was on the shelf at Cabela's. Also quite a few Hornady bullets. Picked up some 6mm 103gn ELD's yesterday. They still have 3 boxes of 77gn SMK's, at least one box each of 175gn SMK's, 168gn AMax, 155 ELD match.

Ammunition is also available for most of the mainstream cartridges. 5.56, .308, 9mm, .40SW, .45acp. Other cartridges may not be available or only in limited supply, like .30-30.

What is different? Really it is just demand. The super high demand has allowed folks to double their money on some of these items. So, as soon as they hit the shelves the 'scalpers' descend and buy everything they can. Then go out and sell it at higher prices. This is the first time I have seen this happen for so long a time. I see people in Sportsman's talking on the phone. They are describing what is there and comparing prices to see what they will buy for resale.

Why is demand so high? Folks like me. I never had more than 1000 primers on the shelf at any one time and frequently bought them by the box. Now I have almost 10,000. Same with powder. I'd buy 1lb at a time and never thought about an 8lb jug. Now I have about twenty 1lb jugs and three 8lb jugs. The pistol stuff will take me quite a few years to use up. I almost have what I consider "enough".

Same with ammo. Most folks I know would have a few boxes of ammo for each of their guns. Now they aren't satisfied until they have over 1000.

Combine that with the many millions of NEW gun owners and millions of additional firearms that existing gun owners have purchased in the last couple of years. That is a level of demand we have never seen before, ever.

Then add in the blockage of foreign ammo or higher tariffs and the US mfgs are not able to come any where close to keeping up.

Not a conspiracy, just a lot of people buying it up.
Used to buy components like you, can remember the first time I bought a brick thinking it was a HUGE amount of primers, BUT, I was hunting not shooting for enjoyment or competition. That has changed. When I find primers for $100 - $115/k delivered to my door, I buy a lot. Same with powder, I don't buy it by the pound.

I live in a rural area and the closest retailer to me is an hour's drive and 42mi round trip. With fuel prices what they are, I'm not buying primers 200 at a time nor powder a pound at a time. I actually save $ buying from reputable online businesses plus hours of my time "chasing" components.

I am well stocked and still buying when the price is right.

wbm
06-27-2022, 09:57 AM
I live in a rural area and the closest retailer to me is an hour's drive and 42mi round trip. With fuel prices what they are, I'm not buying primers 200 at a time nor powder a pound at a time. I actually save $ buying from reputable online businesses plus hours of my time "chasing" components.

Me too. 8 miles to pavement and 50 to town. I buy in bulk when I can also.

charlie b
06-27-2022, 04:47 PM
Unfortunately the mail order business is still dominated by the 'scalpers' and probably will be for some time.

Orezona
07-08-2022, 06:59 PM
I like my 7-08. I recently scored 300 pieces of new Lapua brass. And I have lots of .284/7mm bullets of various manufacturers and weights.

Robinhood
07-09-2022, 12:51 PM
7mm08 A favorite of deer hunters for a long time. The good thing about it is 308 brass can be necked down and 260 can be necked up to 7mm. With the 308 you have to be careful with the loaded neck diameter. I have seen LC brass used without turning so most of the time you are good to go.

charlie b
07-09-2022, 03:23 PM
I used necked down LC brass for my 7mm-08 without any issue. IIRC Remington designed the cartridge for that.

Robinhood
07-09-2022, 04:51 PM
I used necked down LC brass for my 7mm-08 without any issue. IIRC Remington designed the cartridge for that.

I have never seen a problem but all of the chambers I have seen it in were SAAMI spec or close. None of them were a tight neck setup.