View Full Version : 6.5CM with cast

Pages : 1 [2]

PhilC
11-25-2022, 10:16 AM
Saw your video a day or two prior to your post here must have been on CastBoolits. Amazing work and fine shooting in the wind no less!

Our matches are shot at 100yd only, there is a separate 200yd range but only has 2 or 3 lanes. With that limitation there's really no need to increase velocity.

My 7BR build is finished, now working on case prep and will start load development soon.

charlie b
11-25-2022, 09:43 PM
Thanks Phil. Yes, it was over on Castboolits. Larry Gibson and I have had several conversations about spin rates and what makes a difference in bullet trajectory/stability. I did some work with military stuff many years ago as it pertains to artillery shells and rockets so I was trying to use the same analytics with long bullets. That morphed into my wanting to see if long nose bullets deform or not during combustion. His pressure traces and experiences in this have helped a bit.

Yeah, when I started casting again I figured 200yd would be a long shot. Velocities in the 1700fps range. I migrated to powder coating cause I always disliked the issues with bullet lube.

PhilC
11-26-2022, 09:27 AM
The 7BR will be running around 1900 - 2000fps with either an RCBS 168SP or Saeco 073. Made a pound cast of the chamber yesterday, pretty cool process and a lot simpler than it sounded. Undecided whether I will PC or lube, will start a separate topic for it soon.

Hdskip
03-12-2023, 01:07 PM
Phil I'm following your exploits with the 6.5 with some interest . I have what is basically a single shot 110 action set up as a Palma rifle. It is chambered in 260 Remington. The barrel is a Criterion and has a match chamber. Due to aging and a relationship with arthritis I don't shoot it or my 308 much anymore. My only experience with cast rifle bullets is in my 300H&H project which has been discussed already. Reading this thread has given me the idea I may be able to shoot both these rifles more often without a barrel change to something with less recoil. I don't know of any matches to shoot cast anywhere near here but I'm starting to get interested in developing something for both rifles. I may ask some questions about the 6.5 as it is pretty close to the 260. At this point I have no molds in 6.5 or .308. I'm using purchased bullets in the .300.

charlie b
03-12-2023, 11:16 PM
Welcome to the club. First I'd suggest you visit the cast boolits forum. A huge wealth of information.

If interested in cast shoots try the Cast Bullet Association. They have match schedules for a lot of clubs around the country.
https://castbulletassoc.org/default.aspx

I shoot all cast in my .308 these days.

Hdskip
03-13-2023, 06:55 AM
I'm on Cast Boolits on a regular basis and get a lot of info there. matches in my state are only up near D.C. which is close to 3 hours from here so I doubt I'll be attending any of those. I suspect most of my shooting will be on my range here at home or at my gun club. I was a competitive skeet shooter for a good number of years and sort of out of the mood for competition these days. being retired and having a backyard range keeps me plenty busy. I appreciate you comments and look forward to more

charlie b
03-13-2023, 09:00 AM
You are on the right track then.

If you decide to start casting there are a lot of good molds out there. Heck, even the Lee molds are pretty good and is what I started with.

I tried some store bought before jumping in. Montana Bullet Works is not cheap, but, they use common molds so you can try a design before you buy it.

Hdskip
03-14-2023, 06:17 AM
I recently acquired a whole set up from a friend getting out of it. Mostly Lyman/Ideal molds. I have cast some pistol bullets and am getting the hang of it. many years ago when I was buckskinning I cast quite a few round balls. So another part of the adventure is off and running.

charlie b
03-14-2023, 10:02 AM
Sounds good. Let us know how it goes.