PDA

View Full Version : Measuring to the Lands

Balvar24
06-17-2022, 08:04 PM
Never done this before. Still relatively new to reloading. Just goofing around.

I've got a rifle that I assume I can measure to the lands by loading a case with an abnormally long overall length and then forcing the bolt closed, seating the bullet deeper into the case.

Here's my rub. I can't seat the bullet far enough out in a sized case to get any significant resistance.

Am I doing things wrong? Do I have an abnormally long chamber? Throat eroded? Maybe I should neck size only and try it? Am I way out in left field?

Obviously I'm green.

It's a 22-250.

mattri
06-17-2022, 09:22 PM
With a 22-250 some throat erosion is definitely possible, especially if it has seen a lot of use.

What weight bullet are you using? Obviously the heavier bullets are longer, perhaps a heavier longer bullet would let you seat out far enough to see engagement.

Mr.Snerdly
06-17-2022, 10:18 PM
What caliber and what bullet weight? I have 3 Savage rifles and they seem to have a very long throat, even when new. It is possible the bullet could be out of the case and still not touch the lands if you are using a very short, light bullet. I know it is different for guys that are seeking the absolute, most extreme accuracy but I have found it doesn't make much difference on how close to the lands you are for accuracy with mass produced rifles like the Savage Axis and 110 models and some bullets even seem to shoot better with a jump, at least for me.

I wouldn't size the neck like you normally do. I started with the simple Lee loader and I size the neck with it so there is some fricton but not a lot. I think it is possible to jam the bullet into the lands a few thousandths if it is too tight and you get a false reading.

Balvar24
06-17-2022, 10:31 PM
55 Grains. Doesn't look to be fired that much, but who knows.

Dave Hoback
06-17-2022, 10:32 PM
You can do that, but it’s a very crude way of measuring OAL; and not very precise. Like mattri pointed out with possible throat erosion, & depending on how much, the bullet could actually be pushed .010” even .015”+ into the lands before being pushed back into the case.

Id recommend getting the Hornady Tool. https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-C1000-Lock-N-Load-Length-Straight/dp/B000PD01SI/ref=sr_1_2_mod_primary_new?crid=2M9THQ0PSWUDT&keywords=Hornady+OAL+tool&qid=1655519098&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=hornady+oal+tool%2Caps%2C71&sr=8-2

Or… if you are able, make one yourself the way I did. Pretty easy tool to make.

Robinhood
06-17-2022, 11:12 PM
Regarding the Hornady tool; If you purchase a modified case to fit make sure you measure the Case head space length for your rifle and compare that to the Hornady case. I have one that was .010 shorter than a properly head spaced chamber. I prefer using a dummy round to find the lands. Very accurate.

CFJunkie
06-18-2022, 08:41 AM
Belvar24,

I agree with Mr. Snerdly.

You just happen to be trying to measure and chase jump with a caliber that isn't conducive to loading out bullets far enough to be able to do so.
I had the same problem when I started reloading for my .22-250s years ago. I concluded that trying to load for jump is not reasonable for light bullets.
But I also found that it doesn't matter. The light bullets shoot great with enormous jumps.

1) the twist in .22-250 barrels is usually 1:12 or 1:14 so you have to use light bullets (55 grs and lighter). The heavy bullets won't stabilize in those twists.
2) light bullets are extremely short, so they fall out of the cartridge neck before they seat in the lands.

Even in .223s, the light bullets are so short that they also will fall out of the neck before they reach the lands.
You need to seat the bullets deep enough to maintain consistent neck tension.
The 'old wives' tales' say that they should be seated into the neck as deep as the bullet diameter.
My testing says it is more like half that, but whichever you agree with will determine the maximum seating depth for any short, light bullet, and you can be sure it is nowhere near the lands.

Since you indicated that you are new to reloading, I found that .22-250 reloads work best with powders that work best with .308s (H4895, N140, Reloader 15, H380 to name a few.)
Also, based on 1,500 groups, testing different bullet weights, I find that 52 grain SMK #1410, 52 grain FB Berger #22408, 53 grain SMK FB #1400, 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, 50 grain Berger #22406, and 55 grain Berger #22410 are the most accurate (in that order). Both of my .22-250s shoot the 52 and 53 grain bullets incredibly well (top of the list).
But every rifle barrel has its own preferences, so don't be surprised if your rifle prefers one of the other bullets and bullet weights, but I unless you have a very fast twist (some were specially made with 1:9 twists), you'll probably find that your .22-250 will shoot the lighter bullets best.

By the way, some of the 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips (to see what velocity I could achieve without the 40 grain bullets disintegrating) were shot up to 4,200 fps muzzle velocity.
At 100 yards, at that velocity, they will push a paint ball through a cardboard target backing and deposit the paint on the back of the cardboard.
They also hit prairie dogs like they got hit by a grenade.

Normally, I don't load that hot, but that was lots of years ago and I was a lot younger and dumber, not as concerned about barrel wear and brass longevity.
Now I wouldn't even load close to that kind of muzzle velocity.

Balvar24
06-18-2022, 09:24 AM
I have some BLC(2), IMR4895 and some Varget as well as some 52 grain v Max's and 55 yr Varmegeddon.

CFJunkie
06-18-2022, 04:56 PM
Those powders will work and the 52 gr V-Max and 55 gr Varmegeddon bullets should let you see which works best and what your rifle likes.
If it is a relatively new Savage, it is probably a 1:12 twist. That twist will stabilize either of those bullets.
My old 1:14 twist Remington 700 shoots the 52 & 53 grain bullets better than the 55s but my newer Savage 1:12 twist shoots the 55 grain Bergers great.

Don't worry about reloading the first few loads, just don't get enamored with velocity and start with your loads too close to Pmax.

If you are target shooting to test loads, a target won't care how fast the bullet hits it and you will probably find that moderate charge produces better accuracy.
If you are using your rifle for small varmint hunting, the .22-250, even at the low end of the loading table will produce enough velocity and kinetic energy to dispatch anything it hits.
As I said in post #7, if you get too high a velocity, a small varmint will just about evaporate from the kinetic energy a high velocity .22-250 can deliver.
High velocity, and the high chamber pressure that produces it, wears out your brass more quickly and could do some real damage to your rifle if you get too hot a charge.
That is why some people claim that a .22-250 barrel will wear out in 2,000 rounds.
My old Remington has shot almost 5000 rounds and it is just beginning to show some slight drop in accuracy.
Most of those rounds were in the middle of the load table.
My few excursions with pushing velocity with those 40 gr Nosler BTs probably didn't cause too much wear, but it probably didn't help either.

Enjoy your reloading experience. For me it has been an opportunity to learn with every caliber that I started to load for.