PDA

View Full Version : New RUM build

khuff
11-29-2010, 01:11 PM
I just bought a 110 - 300 RUM SF/BM large shank (factory barrel) in blue; I'd like to build a 338 (maybe a 375 later), this will probably be a "long range" build (the action has been T&T by Fred with the Tactical bolt handle).

There have been a number of members that have done more or less the same thing lately in various 338 forms and I'd like you to offer your opinions on what I should do; barrel, brake, stock, optics, etc....(insight into your results).

I have been building a few Savage/Stevens of late for hunting and like them; I always add a better recoil lug, metal trigger guard, bed the action (~new stock).

Regards,
Kevin

Stevens 200 - 25-06/270/30-06 CF Sporter Contour (Factory Stock)
Savage 112 - 22-250 SF BM (+ future 7-08 and/or 308) Varmint Contour (B&C Duramax)
Savage 110 - 338-06 SF BM Mag Contour (Richards Microfit+pillars)
Savage 110 - 300WM SF BM (+ future 458WM) Mag Contour (B&C Duramax)
+ well and a few more non-Savage things.....LOL

catfish
11-29-2010, 02:16 PM
good luck with that. To me savage repeating action is not exactly the most solid platform, when i removed the action and magazine from mine its scary how little metal there is there. I dont see a need for bigger than the 300 rum. A long action stock will still have to be milled out for the rum magazine to fit. If i did it again id definitely start with a custom action.

sinman
11-29-2010, 02:24 PM
That's why I designed the 338 sin and soon to be 300 sin, 7mm sin, and maybe 375 sin. They.are designed to get the most out of the savage platform and be used as repeaters. The 338 sin should match the 338 rum with a shorter case.

bobcat30
11-29-2010, 04:38 PM
That's why I designed the 338 sin and soon to be 300 sin, 7mm sin, and maybe 375 sin. They.are designed to get the most out of the savage platform and be used as repeaters. The 338 sin should match the 338 rum with a shorter case.
In relationship to a 7mm mag whats the difference in your 7mm sin? Special fire forming?

learjet
11-29-2010, 08:41 PM
i built a 338 rum on what began life as a 7mm rum. had a 28" mcgowen barrel made, added a timney trigger. as a long range hunting/steel ringin/field gun build i didnt want a trigger under 2 or 3 lb. had stockade make me a woodchuck stock. put a holland QD brake on as well. all the machine work was done at my buddys shop...which was really only installing the brake. the rifles great. feeds and functions flawlessly. i am limited by the 3.6" savage magbox however. it would be an issue w the 300s and the slower, bulkier powders...however, my rifle prefers 4831ssc and 250 lapua lock bases(yea the mean fmjs) and hornady interbonds. i dont have the need to mess w the real expensive pills, or the big 300s. i tried some 300 smks, retumbo, and h1000; loaded them long, single fed them, and really gained nothing. note im an east coast guy, i havent found anywhere around here to shoot much past 1k. the bullets have quite a jump to the lands, but the accuracy doesnt suffer, and the pressures are good.

the holland QD brake is spectacular, but pricey. recoil is tame, blast to everyone standing close by is obnoxious hehe.

i started out w my trusty 10x super sniper in badger rings, and a bedded EGW base. i thought i had accuracy issues the first time out, till i realized the action screws quicky worked loose - i torqued them to 60 inch/lbs. we upped the torque to70 and all my problems went away. ive got a 3-15 premier im gonna mount up soon

im awful happy w mine. i wanted a repeater, but didnt want to pay for a lapua. didnt want to deal w the edge...forming cases etc. one thing i will say is if u see the brass around grab it. it can be scarce

shovelheadave
11-29-2010, 09:21 PM
My 338 RUM is in a Rem but, yes to the brake. With the brake on there, it's not bad from the bench at all.

Just my $.02.

sinman
11-29-2010, 11:30 PM
The 7mm sin is a shortened and blown out rum case so it would be between an stw and rum for performance

bobcat30
11-30-2010, 08:04 AM
The 7mm sin is a shortened and blown out rum case so it would be between an stw and rum for performance
Sounds like a performer ! Is it as flat as the stw? And how much shorter is it? Just a trim job on cases? Shoulder blown out like a ackely? Curiosity has set in and maybe the build i would do instead of a stw.

sinman
11-30-2010, 10:06 AM
It is shortened to std magnum length and blown out to maximize capacity in the savage mag box. Still developing it right now but the 338 sin is very close to being all done now.

bobcat30
11-30-2010, 11:35 AM
It is shortened to std magnum length and blown out to maximize capacity in the savage mag box. Still developing it right now but the 338 sin is very close to being all done now.
Keep us posted on the 7 mm sin im interested in it