PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Model 87A where to drill and tap for a scope

tools
06-12-2022, 01:13 PM
I have a old click clack gill model 87A, no serial number, that I got for free, fixed, blued and restored. I would love to put a scope on it, as, at my age, I can't see iron sights anymore. Can some one tell where they safely drilled and tapped them for Weaver mounts. A fellow member told me what mounts to buy, so I have the right ones ready to go!

J.Baker
06-13-2022, 01:01 PM
Not sure which mounts you bought, but the original mounts for the 87A were a side mount configuration. A quick Google images search will net you a plethora of photos you can use as reference for various types of scope mounts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Stevens+87A+scope+mount%22&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwid0ebf8qr4AhVaAJ0JHS_7DCgQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=%22Stevens+87A+scope+mount%22&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIECAAQHjoGCAAQHhAHOgQIABAYUJgSWJg SYOYfaABwAHgAgAFkiAG8AZIBAzEuMZgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13a XotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=R2ynYt2RLdqA9PwPr_azwAI&bih=941&biw=1920

I would presume you could D&T most anywhere so long as it doesn't interfere with any bolt function components (extractor or ejector, sear, etc). Biggest thing is making sure the screws don't protrude into the inner bore of the receiver when installed to prevent any interference issues.

tools
06-14-2022, 12:30 PM
Thanks, update, I had a member tell me what to buy for the Weaver two piece bases. There are several pictures on the net showing modern scopes mounted. I put the bases on the receiver, and they matched the contour perfectly. I did look at the receiver with the bolt out, and it appears the wall thickness is near 1/8" thick, so it should be just fine for drilling and tapping for the screws provided. My gunsmith's only question was the spacing needed for the scope. For some reason he thinks I will need a scope with a straight tube for the eye relief?! I haven't heard from him in weeks now, so I am going to contact him shortly and ask for a update, and show him where to position.

J.Baker
06-15-2022, 11:24 AM
If you already have the scope you plan to mount to it, just take it to your gunsmith and he should easily be able to determine where the bases need to go. If you don't have the scope yet but have a spare 3-9x laying around, that will suffice as well for the mock-up to determine placement.