PDA

View Full Version : UTG Bugbuster 3-9x on a 22 Rimfire or Airgun?

geezerhood
06-05-2022, 08:15 PM
I have several inexpensive 22 LR rifles and a couple of RWS higher end recoil-less springers that need new scopes. My 30 year old Chinses made Swift air rifle scopes that cost me about $50 years ago, just aren't holding zeros anymore. My desired budget is under $100 but not finding much that is supposed to be able to hold up to the reverse recoil of the springer, has an illuminated reticle AND focuses to less than 10 yards (Bugbuster focuses at 3 yards!) I keep running into reviews and recommendations of / for the UTG Bugbuster 3-9, so I am tempted to try one. I found some for just over $100 and haven't seen anything else that meets the specs and the price. I realize they are cheap glass, but I can't put a March or an S&B on everything I own.

Have any of you tried one on a rimfire or airgun? Is there something else out there that is better in the same price range?

Arcangle
06-06-2022, 06:20 AM
I have one on a M&P 15-22. it has been on their for years and does a very good job on that rifle. It's probably the best buy for the money for this particular use.

geezerhood
06-06-2022, 05:16 PM
Thanks Arcangle - I think I might get two of them to start and see how I like them. Hard to beat the specs and the price as long as they hold a zero.

Dave Hoback
06-07-2022, 10:34 AM
I've always had the opinion Bushnell are hard to beat in the economical rimfire/air gun scopes. In addition to below, they also have the Banner & Trophy scopes in the same price range.

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-RR3940BS13-Rimfire-Rifle/dp/B097TVQ1LY/ref=sr_1_18_mod_primary_new?crid=1NC192VXBW19P&keywords=Bushnell+3-9&qid=1654612206&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=bushnell+3-9%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-18

geezerhood
06-13-2022, 12:12 AM
That Bushnell does not have a parallax focus which is an absolute requirement for me in a rimfire or airgun scope.

The UTG also comes with a fairly decent set of QD rings, a shade and it has a locking mechanism for the windage and elevation knobs.

geezerhood
06-13-2022, 09:15 PM
I got the scope and installed it on my Archangel folding stock 10/22 with a Magnum Research carbon fiber barrel. It is actually better than I was expecting. There is visible distortion on the edges, but I can live with it. The field of view is pretty narrow, the reticle is kind of a funky looking mil dot, but it worked fine for me out to 100 yards. For just over $100 with illumination, a mil dot reticle, locking adjustments, QD rings, a shade and an AO, I am very pleased and will probably get a few more for other rimfire and airguns. Planning to check out the 3-12 and the 4-14x 30mm tube model with a laser etched ladder type reticle.

Dialing it in, shooting from a chair with the rifle on a tripod saddle with no rear rest, I fired multiple one hole 3 to 5 shot groups with American Eagle hollow points, at 20 yards. I then moved to longer distances. I couldn't see the bullet holes at 100 through the scope, but did fire a 3 shot group of just over an inch at 100. Just for fun, I fired a 15 shot group at 20 yards with the cheap American Eagle, removing the BARREL and reinstalling it after each 5 rounds were fired. The 15 shot group was under 3/4 of an inch. Not too bad considering the barrel removal / reinstall. I did need to adjust the zero about 1/4 inch at 20 yards after taking the scope off and reinstalling it using the QD mounts that came with it. I shot it again today, standing up with the tripod saddle, and it was still zeroed. I was hitting fist sized rocks at 60 to 75 yards 8/10 shots, fairly rapid fire.

Scootin-Newton
07-04-2022, 01:45 PM
I have a Bugbuster on my Ruger 10/22 LITE Take Down, Small and compact and fits inside the stock carry case