PDA

View Full Version : An AR that hasn't ever shot well...

Pages : [1] 2

swifty
11-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have an AR that hasn't ever shot well, and i fear we didn't break the barrel in right.. I do know that there are a million things that could contribute, but what would the solution be for not breaking in a barrel correctly?

Thanks!

Swifty working from his phone

Blue Avenger
11-28-2010, 09:11 PM
do it over. see what happens.

5spd
11-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Barrel break in is way over rated.
What lenght? what profile? what brand AR?
Scrub the bbl with sweets/wipeout/jb paste and shoot.
Now it could just be a poor bbl also especially if its a standard m4 profile.
Basic AR m4 stlye uppers are good if they shoot 3" groups @ 100 yds.

Captain Finlander
11-29-2010, 12:34 AM
Barrel break in is way over rated.
What lenght? what profile? what brand AR?
Scrub the bbl with sweets/wipeout/jb paste and shoot.
Now it could just be a poor bbl also especially if its a standard m4 profile.
Basic AR m4 stlye uppers are good if they shoot 3" groups @ 100 yds.

+1

What ammo are you using? Bullet weight etc...

swifty
11-29-2010, 01:43 AM
I've been shooting cheap wolf with a 55gr fmj. i dont think this should produce clover leave, but it should do better than i'm seeing.

this is a 22 inch stainless bull barrel on a really nondesctipt flat top with the "tube" fore grip upper. The lower is an olympic arms and the trigger was crap (getting it back soon and it should loose about 10 lbs n be around 2.5lbs). My brother had a smith put in a front cleat for a bipod/sling.

I've shot 2.5 inch groups with it, but my ruger 77/22 can do that on a nice day.

It looks good, but if it doesnt start to perform better it can look good in someone else's hands.

I'll try some of the things i've read here.

dcloco
11-29-2010, 03:01 AM
I've been shooting cheap wolf with a 55gr fmj. i dont think this should produce clover leave, but it should do better than i'm seeing.

Ammo is your problem. What are you expecting from less than military grade ammo? Some rifles shoot wolf ok....but FMJ's of any kind, are not know for producing groups.

2.5" groups with FMJ ammo is actually on the good side of life.

Uncle Jack
11-29-2010, 03:07 AM
"....I've been shooting cheap wolf with a 55gr fmj."

BINGO!!

2 1/2" is about right with that stuff. The rig you describe doesn't sound bad. Do you reload? If not, try a box of Federal or something simular.

uj

swifty
11-29-2010, 04:33 AM
I do load and i will test out some different not junk rounds. I know this stuff is bad, but i'm shocked to hear that you guys find it that bad... I expected to be able to get groups around 1.5 inches or so, and then get around an inch with something good.

I guess I've shot pretty good gear sinceI started shooting and assume I'll get those kinds of results every time.

To be contenued.. and thanks again!

Captain Finlander
11-29-2010, 03:22 PM
I have the wolf 62 grain steel case crap and it shoots a bit better but nothing to write home about. Georgia ammo makes some good stuff that pints for my guns. http://georgia-arms.com/223remington60grhornadyv-max100pk.aspx Try some of this.

guhunter
11-29-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm leary about shooting that stuff through any of my guns, regardless of whether I'm trying to get decent accuracy. Steel jackets on steel barrels is not a good combo in my opinion.

swifty
11-30-2010, 01:09 PM
I bought some remington 45 gr bthp stuff and have the reworked trigger back in place. I thought I'd go put it on paper again today, but I think I got a flu bug.. I'll get this thing out soon though.

BTW, the trigger feels great!

5spd
12-01-2010, 10:39 PM
In my sons cmmg 16" bbl the wolf load he shoots is like a shotgun, wont group under 4" @ 100.
I loaded in my 55gr JSP coyote load and he put 8 shots into 1.5"....right ammo is a BIG factor.
A good load in the 22" bbl you have ought to be dropping them into 1.5" or less.

swifty
12-02-2010, 07:41 PM
I got to the range today for a brief shoot. I played around with a clip of the wolfe stuff just getting aquainted with the trigger and then loaded up some of the remington 45gr hp shells. The first group was right at an inch with four rounds and my fith round must have been my smile messing it up. ended up 1.25 to 1.5ish on a 5 round group at 100 yards.

I'm probably done using that super cheap ammo.

Thank you all for the suggestion. I will try to get it tighter and and post a pic!

Nor Cal Mikie
12-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Try a box of Sellier & Bellot 55 gr. FMJ. Got "less" than 1" groups. Killer ammo. ;D

Blue Avenger
12-02-2010, 08:54 PM
I have also been surprised with FIOCCHI 40gr V Max. cute little blue tips and under 1" in my AR

Smokey262
12-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Heck of a nice day for both of you! Congrats on popping the cherry on the new unit

sha-ul
12-02-2010, 09:47 PM
what kind of luck have you guys had with PMC out of your AR's?

A_Gamehog
12-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Blue Avenger is correct, the 40 V-Max made by Fiocchi is highly accurate in my AR-15 and my bolt gun. In my bolt it's less than 1MOA
On sale at Cabellas for box of 50 for 16$ last month. I only buy factory ammo for relatives when they shoot my guns and visit. The Fiocchi
is also available in Sierra 69 Grain Matchkings. Buy some quality ammo and see just how good you can get. Here's a good link to get an idea.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/223-556-match-ammo

xr650rRider
12-18-2010, 11:00 AM

The PMC Bronze fmj has been lousy for accuracy in everything I've shot it in. 4 AR's and 1 Encore rifle and 2 Encore pistols. It goes bang if that's all your interested in. I bought it to save the brass but it's cheaper in the long run to buy Lake City new that isn't crimped.

sha-ul
12-21-2010, 01:36 AM

The PMC Bronze fmj has been lousy for accuracy in everything I've shot it in. 4 AR's and 1 Encore rifle and 2 Encore pistols. It goes bang if that's all your interested in. I bought it to save the brass but it's cheaper in the long run to buy Lake City new that isn't crimped.

I've had ok, but not fantastic accuracy in my Savage with it, but horrible in my AR. but I figured it would be good donor brass. especially at the $6 a box or so I paid for it..