PDA

View Full Version : Single shot Model 12 stock question

awp101
05-28-2022, 04:27 PM
I'm about to make a deal on an action at the LGS. According to the tag it started life as a Model 12 VLP in .22-250. I took measurements and notes last time I was there but they don't really match what I'm finding in the FAQs nor am I finding a lot of single shot information in general.

G series sn (that was all I took down DOH!) with Accu-Trigger, screw spacing according to my calipers is 4.06", barrel shank is 1.01". I did not note top or bottom bolt release (I didn't know that was a thing when I was making my notes), right bolt/left port.

I'm considering an AT-One but I'm not sure if I should select center-feed or staggered (single shot doesn't come up as an option). I'm just not real sure at this point if my measurements are wrong or if this is an odd duck that doesn't conform to "normal" Savage parameters.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Dave Hoback
05-28-2022, 05:04 PM
Something’s not right. How exactly are you measuring the A room Screw spacing? Should be Center of the hole to Center of the hole. There is NO 4.00” Action There was a 4.275” & 4.4”. There was also a 3.440”, but it was a single shot, Dual Port action. I’m thinking you have a 4.275” and something happened in measuring.

awp101
05-28-2022, 07:20 PM
Thanks for confirming, I thought I might have measured wrong after seeing they didn't match anything being offered. IIRC I put the tip of the calipers into each hole which I figured would get me a CTC measurement BUT I rarely have a need to take precise measurements and that may have been bad thinking on my part.

I should be picking it up next Saturday so I'll know for sure then.

Thanks!

Dave Hoback
05-28-2022, 07:27 PM
Yes, that’s where you went wrong. Putting the Caliper tips in the holes gives the wrong reading. Based on that, I’m thinking it IS a 4.275” action. Just lay the Calipers flat, & measure the screw holes Center to Center. You don’t need to worry about perfection. How precise you measure, (meaning down to the last few Thous/inch) isn’t going to affect what size Action it is.

awp101
05-29-2022, 08:44 AM
Perfect, thanks!