PDA

View Full Version : Failure to Eject

Big Smitty
11-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Finally took the Savage 110 .270 I just got to the range today and shot it. It shot well, but failed to eject the round. The round fed well and extracted well, but did not eject the round away from the rifle. I did searches to try to find some information on how to fix it. What I am reading mentions replacing a spring under the ejector and a ball under the extrator? I could not find any real how too's.

This is a 1974 model. I did break down the bolt yesterday... removed the bolt screw at the rear of the bolt, Removed the bolt handle and the "C" shaped metal piece, removed the firing pin, drifted out the pin that retains the bolt head and did a general clean up. I did not disassemble the firing pin assembly. I also saw mention of a spring that sometime flies out when the bolt head is taken apart? This did not happen to me. Is it possible that this spring is missing?

If any one can help or direct me to a tutorial I missed in my searches it would be great. Thansk for any help!

dcloco
11-28-2010, 07:05 PM
You were close, just did not dig far enough.

I don't have pics, maybe somebody else could help you out with a picture.

With a plastic bag over the bolthead, with a 0.040" pin punch, drift the pin out on the side of the bolthead that retains the ejector (right side of the bolt face when looking at it....at least for right bolt rifle). Don't lose the pin that you are drifting out, the button for the ejector, and the spring under the ejector. Might have to reach in with the small drift pin to grab the spring. Pull the spring out, lengthen it a little bit, and reinstall. Check if extraction and ejection occurs with an empty brass.

Order a new spring from your favorite supplier and you will be in business.

Big Smitty
11-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Think I might need to see some pictures on this one if anyone has some to share. I had the bolt head off. Is the pin you are talking about the one that holds the bolt head on the bolt or is there another one?? Do I need to drift out the ejector pin??

5spd
11-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Every single time this has happened to one of my savages it was always the extractor its self, never the ejector, case coming off the bolt before it kicks out.
Id almost bet that if you pushed down on the ejector it would rebound back with force. If the case is dropping off on top of the mag as in not kicking it out...extractor.
I may be wrong, but rarely on that issue.
Let us know what fixed it since no one else has ever reported back on that specific issue in the last 4 ejection issues.

Big Smitty
11-29-2010, 12:37 AM
My extractor seems to be fine, I think :-\. The round stays on the bolt face and I have to pull it off if that makes sense. I may just get the parts to replace both. I just need some help on how to replace them. I'm sure it isn't that hard I just don't want to do something that will cause me bigger problems on my first go round ??? Thanks for the help!

ellobo
11-29-2010, 01:08 AM
To remove the extractor just push it aside while in a plastic bag, under it is a small ball bearing and a spring. Order a new set of parts from Savage. Push down on the ejector pin. if it returns it is OK, but get new parts for it as well, spring and plunger. All can be had from Savage. A phone call will do it. Remember to assemble or disassemble whle in a plastic bag or parts will go flying due to spring pressure.

El Lobo

Big Smitty
11-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Roger that, I'm ordering the parts and will let you know how it goes.