PDA

View Full Version : problems with a mdl 12 bolt

pdshooter2
05-26-2022, 02:09 PM
so a single shot 12 in 308 win that has been fine until today
1st round down range all is well
try to close bolt on number two and the bolt stops after going to maybe 1 o 'clock and then will not open either.
a guy at the range thought the pc in front of bolt handle (name ? has a spring loaded detent when it slips on the bolt shaft) was hang up and not allowing bolt to reverse.
i can see what looks like a spring visable a hole in the body of this pc
tried cycling bolt ok, but with a cartridge it fails to close
i am a gun guy but not a savage gun guy...help

pdshooter2
05-26-2022, 02:34 PM
iT APPEARS IT MAYBE A CASE SIZING ISSUE
some fit some do not...not sure why///maybe just to close to the "go" number and some sprang back more.
gonna try resizing brass and try again

pdshooter2
05-26-2022, 06:15 PM
well i had a single lot of brass..i thought all shot in one gun...
then in a brain phart i resized for a second gun.
that did not work plain and simple
i'll try a more reasonable sizing and see i can get back to shooting like an adult

Dave Hoback
05-26-2022, 06:34 PM
The part in front of the bolt handle is the the Rear Bolt Baffle. It’s used for primary extraction. BTW.. if you aren’t a “Savage Gun Guy”, why do you comment on a Savage specific forum?

I get the same thing with a bunch of LC 7.62x51 that I’ve resized to 260 Rem. Some fit, some don’t. I run pretty tight headspace on mine.

pdshooter2
05-26-2022, 09:57 PM
The part in front of the bolt handle is the the Rear Bolt Baffle. It’s used for primary extraction. BTW.. if you aren’t a “Savage Gun Guy”, why do you comment on a Savage specific forum?

I get the same thing with a bunch of LC 7.62x51 that I’ve resized to 260 Rem. Some fit, some don’t. I run pretty tight headspace on mine.
i seldom tell anyone a specific savage answer, i am a gun guy..a precision shooting guy, and will add what i know when a question is asked.
i had a bunch of savage rifles...sold them all except a project gun that i need to refit as was and sell.

and then there is this rifle built from a donor 6br.
i have another 12 this one a 308 long bbl ftr type...not sure what i will do with it i got too many 308's!
IMHO only the single shot actions will work for real precise shooting

Robinhood
05-26-2022, 11:02 PM
What are you using to verify case head space after sizing?

pdshooter2
05-27-2022, 11:53 AM
What are you using to verify case head space after sizing?

da problem was the first couple check fine, but some were from a second rifle

i use the rifle chamber..the first couple were fine

Robinhood
05-27-2022, 11:50 PM
"da problem was the first couple check fine", but some were from a second rifle

i use the rifle chamber..the first couple were fine

What are you using to verify the distance between the base of the case and the shoulder datum(Case head space)? There has to be a number to compare to. Resizing cases is not a fit or don't fit thing. You can be .020" undersize and it fits. But .001" oversize and it doesn't.

Understanding this is a requirement to reload.

Dave Hoback
05-28-2022, 03:56 PM
Might be a little while on an answer Rob. :redface-new:

Robinhood
05-29-2022, 05:47 PM
Might be a little while on an answer Rob. :redface-new:
That is what I thought about you.:becky::pop2:

Dave Hoback
05-29-2022, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I said that I the other thread. That maybe he’s on a time out like given to me. Which, once again I’m still trying to figure out?