PDA

View Full Version : Sanity check : Savage 110 Elite Precision Muzzle Break removal

slathar
05-14-2022, 07:44 PM
Need a sanity check before I break something. Do I turn this lock nut clockwise (looking down towards the gun from the muzzle break) to loosen the break and remove it.
Odds of me damaging the barrel to receiver contact if I put too much torque when trying to loosen it?

Any help is appreciated.
https://i.ibb.co/718ntmB/Elite-Brake.jpg

Dave Hoback
05-14-2022, 07:59 PM
Yes, the lock nut turns CLOCKWISE, moving it closer to the Action, in order to loosen.

Phreddie30.06
05-17-2022, 05:26 PM
Righty tighty lefty losey

Dave Hoback
05-17-2022, 06:52 PM
Righty tighty lefty losey

Actually this is opposite. Because it’s a lock nut. If looking down the barrel from the muzzle, the lock nut must be turned further “Righty Tighty” (Clockwise).

It can be confusing. It’s much the same like loosening a bolt from underneath the surface of that which you are looking at. Brake caliper bolts come to mind. I’ve seen people struggle with this my entire adult life. I was a Automotive Master Tech. as career. So it was learned early. ;)

wbm
05-17-2022, 07:18 PM
Looking from the muzzle toward the receiver my Savage brake goes right...clockwise...to tighten and left...counter clockwise to loosen.

Dave Hoback
05-17-2022, 08:09 PM
WBM

Of course the muzzle device itself turns normally. That was not the question. The locking nut must be turned Counterclockwise in order to tighten against the brake. Know what I mean?

Phreddie30.06
05-18-2022, 09:27 AM
Actually this is opposite. Because it’s a lock nut. If looking down the barrel from the muzzle, the lock nut must be turned further “Righty Tighty” (Clockwise).

It can be confusing. It’s much the same like loosening a bolt from underneath the surface of that which you are looking at. Brake caliper bolts come to mind. I’ve seen people struggle with this my entire adult life. I was a Automotive Master Tech. as career. So it was learned early. ;)I was a tech for a while, never gave brake caliper bolts much thought. Gave that up as the dealership couldnt keep me busy. Became a carpenter. Made lots of money. Until I broke my back.

Phreddie30.06
05-18-2022, 09:28 AM
WBM

Of course the muzzle device itself turns normally. That was not the question. The locking nut must be turned Counterclockwise in order to tighten against the brake. Know what I mean?Righty loosey lefty tighty?

wbm
05-18-2022, 10:24 AM
"Help! somebody please a help...these people like a animals." Father Guido Sarducci :cool:

Dave Hoback
05-18-2022, 07:35 PM
Righty loosey lefty tighty?

This explains it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1jgo_r2QpA

TXRoadlizard
05-19-2022, 09:46 PM
I actually hit mine with a torch to heat it up some, but not a lot, and the break spun right off without much trouble. I put one of Eric Cortina's tuner breaks on and love it. It is stainless so after a day at the range I spin it off and soak several hours in CLR and it cleans right up.

wbm
05-20-2022, 10:18 AM
Eric Cortina's tuner breaks on and love it. It is stainless so after a day at the range I spin it off and soak several hours in CLR and it cleans right up.

Yeah. Mine were that simple also. OP went away after one post. Probably just as well. Turned into which way is clockwise thread.

Dave Hoback
05-20-2022, 01:12 PM
Thats what it started as. The OP’s question had nothing to do with the brake being on too tight, LOL!

But yeah, the OP did disappear. Haha.

slathar
05-21-2022, 12:50 PM
I couldn't get the darn thing off. Tried heating it up but its on there. Taking it to someone who has better tools than me

slathar
05-21-2022, 12:52 PM
Yeah. Mine were that simple also. OP went away after one post. Probably just as well. Turned into which way is clockwise thread.

I got my answer from the first reply, just wasn't able to take it off

wbm
05-21-2022, 01:30 PM
I got my answer from the first reply

Figured you did.

just wasn't able to take it off

Figured you might not. Couple of us saw the "tightness" issue coming next...ain't our first rodeo.

Taking it to someone who has better tools than me

You bet. Had an on/off Savage brake that I could not get off....took it to a smith...he got it off.

slathar
05-21-2022, 03:05 PM
Figured you did.

Figured you might not. Couple of us saw the "tightness" issue coming next...ain't our first rodeo.

You bet. Had an on/off Savage brake that I could not get off....took it to a smith...he got it off.

That's the plan. Currently searching for a gunsmith that knows basic stuff like how to torque a barrel nut to spec. My last one over-torqued the snot out of it. Until then this break is staying on.

wbm
05-21-2022, 04:36 PM
That's the plan. Currently searching for a gunsmith that knows basic stuff like how to torque a barrel nut to spec. My last one over-torqued the snot out of it. Until then this break is staying on.

+1

Dave Hoback
05-22-2022, 07:49 AM

Having a Barrel Vise makes it an easy job. Limits the counter torque twisting of the barrel with overly excited muzzle attachments.