PDA

View Full Version : fire forming

pighunter284
05-07-2022, 09:21 AM
with cost of components and lack of supply. is anyone using cream of wheat or any other type of fire forming before loading up bullets. i have a long range class coming up and was thinking of doing this with a new barrel and virgin lapua brass in 260 rem. i can go thru 300 rounds quickly and then load up for fine tuning my load one the brass is formed to my chamber. or do you think thats a waste of time.

PhilC
05-07-2022, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't, but if you're well stocked with primers, go for it.

Robinhood
05-07-2022, 10:35 AM
Depending on who made the barrel i might be more interested in breaking it in while doing a load workup.

Dave Hoback
05-07-2022, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I wouldn’t waste the powder, primers, etc. just for. Like Robin said, work on load development. Every round used in load testing has been fire formed naturally. So just go by that.

pdshooter2
05-07-2022, 12:07 PM
you can fire form with no bullet no media..just powder, no bullet..just a little 1" sq of tissue
this is done with a bunch of FAST pistol powder( zip acc no 2),
you need to work up a load that produces a nice sharp corner at the shoulder
take a scale and start adding a full grain until you get the sharp corner.
take water and a towel and cool the bbl as you go.

charlie b
05-07-2022, 12:48 PM
Depends on how may surplus primers you have laying around. If you have a large stockpile, then consider fire forming. If not then just work up loads with them.

Fireform, like pd said, can be done without bullets using fast powder.

pighunter284
05-13-2022, 10:41 PM
powder and primers arent the issue. its more of time. the range isn't close and i figured i could fireform more in one day than loading and testing. if pistol powder is best i have plenty of that.

Dave Hoback
05-13-2022, 11:17 PM
Yes, pistol powder works well because it’s faster burning. Obviously can’t use any pistol powder with a bullet. The pressure caused by the fast burn rate would cause it to go NUCLEAR!

I still say fire form with a bullet. Either for AI, or just to make chamber match cases. It serves two purposes. It does the fire forming but also allows practice, & most importantly, load development while fire forming. Just my take. But then… this is new Lapua brass? Do you really believe you’ll even see any difference? I’ll just give it a name.. Personally, I don’t concern myself with some of the tiny things that serious target shooters worry about. Why? Because I know that my prowess as a shooter is not what it once was. I can hit what I want no problem. But I learned many years ago I was a better instructor than I was a competitor. I’m a “good” shot. But I’m a FANTASTIC instructor! So, that’s all I’ll say.

South Prairie jim
05-15-2022, 09:17 AM
I would NOT use any breakfast cereal to fire form a case,( burnt debris can get lodged in the shoulder ) if I just had ff and saving bullets is key than drop a grain of my normal powder and use tissue paper stuffed in the neck.

South Prairie jim
05-15-2022, 09:20 AM
powder and primers arent the issue. its more of time. the range isn't close and i figured i could fireform more in one day than loading and testing. if pistol powder is best i have plenty of that.
If not an Ackley you shouldnt hurt score just shooting them with a normal recipe either.. been there several times

ragsflh
05-22-2022, 09:17 AM
just load them,shoot them and you will serve 2 things

Fuj'
05-25-2022, 07:16 AM
I use cheap military primers from back before the crunch. I'll buy a large quantity of the
cheapest crap bullets there is, and same with powder. Currently burning off some ancient
steel canned 748. I do my own chambering so I have the luxury of chambering a burned
out barrel and just use that for fire forming. One of these days I would like to make an
external water jacket barrel like what Shiraz Boloia uses !!

charlie b
05-25-2022, 09:40 PM
Water jacket is easy to add if you want one :)

tomme boy
05-27-2022, 03:30 AM
You can use pistol powders to fireform. You just have to know how. I use unique and red dot all the time with 308w, 7.62x54r, 3006, 223. I shoot mainly lead bullets but that is not the point. I use the same brass when shooting jacketed. but I would rather burn up 5 cents of powder and primer than $1.50 bullet and powder shooting jacketed