PDA

View Full Version : Misfire solved I hope

Pages : 1 [2]

wbm
06-11-2022, 09:24 AM
+1.

GrenGuy
06-11-2022, 02:30 PM
If a CCI 450 won't go off, it's an ignition issue caused by lack impact energy, in turn caused by insufficient firing pin travel.
Nope. Not the case in this case. And not just Savage actions. Have seen it with Bat, Kelbly, Borden, and Barnard. Custom built rifles smithed by some of the best rifle builders in the country. Must be a lot of high end sick actions out there? This is what I witnessed and is My testimony.

wbm
06-11-2022, 03:04 PM
I don’t know what’s going on

"it's an ignition issue caused by lack impact energy."

sharpshooter
06-11-2022, 03:26 PM
Nope. Not the case in this case. And not just Savage actions. Have seen it with Bat, Kelbly, Borden, and Barnard. Custom built rifles smithed by some of the best rifle builders in the country. Must be a lot of high end sick actions out there? This is what I witnessed and is My testimony.

Those actions have issues too, and it is not because of the primers, it caused by my original statement.

GrenGuy
06-11-2022, 07:45 PM
Perhaps some of the CCI 450 cups are too thick or stiff? But I still don’t see why they won’t fire when they are subjected to multiple attempts, smashed down as far as they will go. When a new firing pin spring is installed, and the pin protrusion is .035”, and the problem persists, it seems the only solution is to go to an aftermarket spring, or switch to a different primer. When 450’s ignite, they contribute to My most accurate loads. I will try some BR 4’s, which have worked well in the past.

But if powder and bullets don’t soon become available, this will all be a moot point for My Bench Rest Shooting.

wbm
06-11-2022, 09:41 PM
But if powder and bullets don’t soon become available, this will all be a moot point for My Bench Rest Shooting.

Frustrating for sure. Powder, primers, and powder are becoming more available each month so that is good news. Personally, unless there is something "magic" about 450's in your rifles or loads, I would go with another brand.

Scttschnd
06-15-2022, 11:03 AM
I have REM 7 1/2's I use for Service Rifle competition so Maybe I will give them a try in place of the 450's. I know 450's work in Service Rifle loads for auto loaders. I too agree on firing pin issues. I had called Savage once about getting new springs but they would not sell me parts unless I am a smith. Frustrated. Next loads will run the REM 7 1/2 Bench Rest primers.

TO add I did swap the Accutrigger back into the action also. Savage Axis II Precision

wbm
06-15-2022, 02:12 PM
FWIW: Check out https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/09/06/6mm-6-5-creedmoor-load-data/

The 450's are way ahead of anything else.

(https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/09/06/6mm-6-5-creedmoor-load-data/)

Scttschnd
06-17-2022, 04:02 PM
I have swapped the OEM accutrigger back in, will see how it works, may load 450's and 7 1/2's I do not have the brick of 205M I used to. I do have 205MAR primers. Sounds like I Need to check the headspace (tape) see if the trigger release works better with the accurtrigger. Be shooting service rifle this weekend so wont report back for a while. Thank you for all the info and hte letting hijack this thread.

Scttschnd
06-25-2022, 06:57 PM
Load testing today with 450 SRP load and changed to the accutrigger and mcarbo kit
Why not it works great pulls at 1lb and breaks clean
Every round fired
Jump testing next Thanks for letting me jump in here