PDA

View Full Version : Axis II XP 308

woodman
05-04-2022, 09:25 AM
I just sighted in my new 308. I was extremely anxious to give this gun a try after all the rave reviews I read online. I must confess that I changed out the stock to a thumb hole stock from E. Arthur Brown. ($219). I don't think this has any impact on accuracy, but it does look sweet and it fells better in my hand. I bought three boxes of ammunition. A $20.00 box, a $30.00 box and a $40.00 box. My plan was to shoot 2 out of each box, see which brand had the best pattern and then sight in the gun with that brand. Well, best laid plans and all that. I set the target at 50 yards and shot two out of the cheap box. I wasn't on the paper. One nicked the frame. I moved the scope 24 clicks and fired two more. Still wasn't on the paper. I moved up to 25 yards and shot two more of the cheap stuff. They were almost touching each other, six inches to the right and three inches low. I adjusted the scope another 24 clicks and shot two more. Those two rounds almost touched the other two. I adjusted the scope another 24 clicks and those two almost touched the first four. The pattern is fantastic, but the scope isn't adjusting. I decided to switch to the $30.00 box and it hit in the same place. I now decided to adjust the elevation as well as I'm afraid I'm going to run out of ammunition. I give it another 24 clicks and 12 clicks up and it moves about 3 inches to the left a couple inches up. I make one more adjustment to the elevation and it's right on. The windage takes a few more adjustments, but I finally get it right. I shoot one round out of the $40.00 box and it's hitting in the same spot. The bottom line is, I can't see any difference in the accuracy of the different rounds and the pattern of this rifle is excellent. However, sighting in a brand new scope takes some effort. I was tapping the adjustment knob cover after every adjustment, but it seems to me it took awhile before the adjustment gear kicked in, especially on the windage, not so much on the elevation. I realize this ain't the most expensive scope that comes with this rifle, but is this something that is usual in adjusting a new scope?

prdatr
05-04-2022, 10:02 AM
What scope is on it? The easiest way to sight in the scope/rifle is to pull the bolt and looking through the barrel adjust the rifle rest (either a Lead Sled or sand bags) so the center of the bullseye is visible. Then adjust the scope crosshairs to match. EZPZ
Saves a lot of time and as you discovered, ammunition.

charlie b
05-04-2022, 05:58 PM
I've only had one factory mounted scope (Axis II) and it was pretty close from the factory, on paper at 100yd. It adjusted as expected, ie, one click was 1/4MOA and it was fairly repeatable. The guy I gave mine to is still using it.

But, yours may have been messed with by someone, or, is just broken. They are very cheap scopes. If you can't afford a replacement I'd take it to where you bought it and ask for a replacement.

Turkeytider
05-04-2022, 06:57 PM
My 110 Storm in .223 was an XP and came with a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9X40. Mine was advertised as bore sighted at the factory and I have assumed that all of the XP models are supposed to be. Mine certainly proved to be, about 4" high and 3 " right. I`ve been very pleased with mine.